Famous Five Book of Adventure

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Famous Five Book of Adventure

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Thanks for adding the book to the Cave, Tony. A nice item. Hopefully a few will find their way into charity shops eventually!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I'll check the charity shops, Anita, and buy any copies I find and pass any spares on to those who need them.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Tony Summerfield wrote:
sixret wrote:I am not sure whether £5.50 is a good price but I bought mine for £3.50 with free postage last week.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Famous-Five-B ... 2749.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Surely nobody is stupid enough to offer free postage to Malaysia, it would cost more than the £3.50!! :roll:

The books have 'Not For Resale' printed on them!! :)
Of course not, Tony. The book was sent to my dear friend's home in UK. She would then send the book and other books to my address. I could save plenty of money on postage by shipping all the books together using one of the cheapest postage available on parcel2go(instead of Royalmail). I would give her an incentive for helping me, of course.
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
sixret

Post by sixret »

By the way, talking about free postage, there is at least one UK seller who offers free shipping worldwide. I do not know how he manages to do so but it is a fact.

He used to have hundreds of vintage Enid Blyton titles, with or without dj and reasonably priced. I bought so many EB books in good condition from him several years ago. The packages usually arrived within 20 days which is a typical delivery time for standard airmail to Malaysia. Not many Enid Blyton collectors are aware of this fact.

Below is the link to his online store. I notice that there are not many titles of EB left.

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Sear ... vci=458811" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I think it depends how many books you sell and how much you sell them for. Following the link, the seller seems very reasonably priced, so I'm astonished he makes any money from selling, unless he sells a great many books!

Any seller who offers free postage does of course still have to pay postage. Often they add the postage to the cost of the book. So if I offered free postage, my £10 Famous Five with a dust jacket with £2.82 postage would be around £12.82 (at least!) - just the same as if I charged postage. I'm not really sure how sellers manage to offer free postage world-wide. they must spend a great deal on postage! If a person badly wants a book, they are usually happy to pay postage. Three hardback books can be sent for £2.82 so if more books are bought the postage remains the same. :-D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
sixret

Post by sixret »

I agree with you wholeheartedly, Rob!

I speculate that the seller is doing a welfare to his buyers. :lol:

Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

My copy came today and I think its a very nice little book, and well worth having!

there are two short stories - five Have A Puzzling Time (with illustrations by Eric Parker) and Five and a Half-term Adventure (with illustrations by Eileen Soper). These take up the first half of the book, then the second half has articles about packing a bag for an adventure - what to include, what foods give the greatest energy while walking, etc. There's an article on Care For the Countryside, how to read a compass, camping, and meals that can be cooked outdoors - including recipes for chilli, sticky bones, chicken and vegetables. articles on climbing, and lastly articles about each member of The Famous Five.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Sounds good!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I haven't seen any copies in charity shops yet, but I'll keep looking. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member