Policemen in Enid Blyton

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Pauline

Policemen in Enid Blyton

Post by Pauline »

I love Enid Blyton's books, of course I do. However, I am currently reading Five Have Plenty of Fun and the fact that she rarely had anything positive to say about the good old-fashioned 'bobby' on the beat struck me quite forcibly once more. In fact, she often represented them as well, not very bright at all, to put it politely. I'm particularly thinking of poor, long-suffering Mr Goon in the Find-Outer books and the much maligned Mr Potts in the Mistletoe Farm books....Not really an idea which you would want to reinforce amongst children then or now...
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: Policemen in Enid Blyton

Post by Rob Houghton »

well, I think its more a plot device than anything. Goon has to be incompetent or else the Find Outers wouldn't be able to solve the crime instead and be the heroes, and the same for other series'. If the policemen had been helpful, or believed the Famous Five etc, or decided to investigate further, the children wouldn't have much of an adventure! ;-)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I suppose so, but they are rather strongly portrayed as fools, dolts or nincompoops, to use a lovely word...
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

i agree, but again, they have to be totally incapable in order for the plots to work!

I guess Enid was also influenced by the popular ideas of the day, where 'cops' were often looked on with ridicule and as comedy figures - such as the Key Stone Cops and other comic characters. :D There were George Formby and Gracie Fields films in the 1930's that both made fun of being in the police force.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Interesting thoughts, Pauline. I would say Enid also has a few very positive portrayals of the police — Inspector Jenks from the Find-Outers series and Bill "Smugs" Cunningham from the Adventure series spring to mind, although they're much "higher-up" policemen than the village bobby. As Rob says, Mr Goon has to be incompetent in order to be a foil for the Find-Outers! But characters like him certainly never taught me as a child to assume that all policemen were nincompoops. At least, I should hope they weren't! :wink:
Rob Houghton wrote: I guess Enid was also influenced by the popular ideas of the day, where 'cops' were often looked on with ridicule and as comedy figures - such as the Key Stone Cops and other comic characters. :D There were George Formby and Gracie Fields films in the 1930's that both made fun of being in the police force.
That's a really good point too, Rob.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thanks both of you. Of course, you're quite right Rob - you can see the influence of the popular ideas of the day and I had not thought of this. However, if I you or I had hung around with children who actually played practical jokes on the police...Can you imagine??
Last edited by Pauline on 21 Jul 2017, 17:05, edited 1 time in total.
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I agree! We were always afraid of policemen and would run away when we saw one and instantly thought we'd be arrested!! Even though were never doing anything to warrant it! :D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

And of course there are plenty of stories where the police aren't contacted until the very end and then they swoop in perfectly capably and round up the wrong-doers.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

We must all remember that the village bobby of the 1940s was a very different animal to the highly skilled police officer of today. Their remit was mainly to collate information regarding house burglaries, stolen dogs and cyclists riding at night with no lights. As Julie says, the 'higher-up' police officers in the books were of a much higher calibre.
Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

But there are instances (e.g. Five on a hike together) in which the policemen didn't have to be that rude to carry on the plot without disturbing it.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Interesting comments. Thanks everyone
Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series

Post by Wolfgang »

Rob Houghton wrote:i agree, but again, they have to be totally incapable in order for the plots to work!

I guess Enid was also influenced by the popular ideas of the day, where 'cops' were often looked on with ridicule and as comedy figures - such as the Key Stone Cops and other comic characters. :D There were George Formby and Gracie Fields films in the 1930's that both made fun of being in the police force.
I can think of two times in which other bobbies were in Peterswood, and I think both showed much more promise and social competence than Mr Goon (Pantomime Cat and Tally-Ho cottage).
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.

Post by Lenoir »

I also thought Enid Blyton seems to go out of her way to show the constables as being incompetent, but maybe it is to show how superior Fatty is.
Even P.C. Tonks in "Invisible thief" admits to Fatty he's "not much of a one for solving cases".
However he also says he is used to a big town where more happens (presumably someone else solves the cases for him then!).