Articles About Dorset

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: Articles in Dorset

Post by Courtenay »

Chrissie777 wrote:Even though I disagree with most of the text (I think Adam Lee-Potter made EB look worse than she really was) and hope he'll receive criticism from DORSET MAGAZINE readers for calling Sooty Lenoir a French schoolboy (?)...
Not to mention claiming Sooty was black and "thoroughly unlikeable" and Enid therefore was racist. :evil: I consigned my copy of the magazine to the recycling bin a few weeks ago — there were some good things in it, but that leading article spoiled it all.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I'm afraid I'm guilty of thinking Sooty was a French schoolboy too! :? :oops:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Wouldn't Sooty have been of French ancestry, with his name being Pierre Lenoir? I can't remember exactly what Enid Blyton says about his background.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

I certainly always assumed he must be of French ancestry, but he most definitely wasn't black (or Enid would have said so) - let alone "unlikeable"!! :shock: He was one of my favourite "guest stars" in the Famous Five books that I read as a child, with his secret tunnels and ingenious buzzer to warn him when someone was approaching the room, and his eager willingness to be "in" on the Five's plans and to help them hide Timmy - I always rather regretted that Sooty didn't come into any of the later books.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
timv

Post by timv »

I always assumed that 'Sooty' was either:
(a) from an expat French family, their departure to the UK possibly as far back as the Catholic French monarchy's persecution of the Protestant 'Huguenots' at the end of the seventeenth century. A large number (tens of thousands) of Protestants then moved to SE England - and many of them settled in Rye, which is the likeliest main 'original' (in basic details) for 'Castaway'. But it is unclear if Enid had visited Rye by the time she wrote the book and so would have come across Huguenot names there - or if her locally expert fellow-author at Newnes publishers, Malcolm Saville, advised her on local names for the Rye area.
or (b) from the Channel Islands, which Enid had definitely visited by this time.
I have wondered how long the family had been living in Castaway, and if Enid ever thought about their intriguing background. It's a pity she didn't set up the Lenoirs for another story later - ditto with Berta and her US father, Presumably as the house was Dr Lenoir's he had inherited or bought it himself , not inherited it from his cousin, 'Sooty's father.
Other famous expat French names in British literature include 'Poldark' - Winston Graham wrote that the origin of the family was as a Huguenot expat one, called 'D'Arques', who married into the Trenwiths of Trenwith in Cornwall and added on the Cornish name 'Pol'. So could a grown-up Sooty look a bit like Ross?
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I have never thought of Sooty's ancestry, nor intend to now. I just loved the book and the characters.
Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

My thoughts too, Nigel.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

timv wrote: So could a grown-up Sooty look a bit like Ross?
Now there's a thought. :D :mrgreen: :wink:
Society Member

Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Moonraker wrote:I have never thought of Sooty's ancestry, nor intend to now. I just loved the book and the characters.
So you don't think that a character called Pierre Lenoir might be French? ;-)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I refer you to my statement above. :)
Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Courtenay wrote:...He was one of my favourite "guest stars" in the Famous Five books that I read as a child, with his secret tunnels and ingenious buzzer to warn him when someone was approaching the room, and his eager willingness to be "in" on the Five's plans and to help them hide Timmy - I always rather regretted that Sooty didn't come into any of the later books.

I feel the same. 8)
The underground passages are my favorite scenes whenever I re-read "Smuggler's Top".
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

timv wrote:I always assumed that 'Sooty' was either:(a) from an expat French family, their departure to the UK possibly as far back as the Catholic French monarchy's persecution of the Protestant 'Huguenots' at the end of the seventeenth century. A large number (tens of thousands) of Protestants then moved to SE England - and many of them settled in Rye, which is the likeliest main 'original' (in basic details) for 'Castaway'. But it is unclear if Enid had visited Rye by the time she wrote the book and so would have come across Huguenot names there - or if her locally expert fellow-author at Newnes publishers, Malcolm Saville, advised her on local names for the Rye area.

I was also wondering if the Lenoirs maybe immigrated around the time of the French Revolution?
The DuMauriers did leave France around that time.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Maybe the author misremebered these lines:

‘If you saw him you wouldn’t think so,’ said Dick, with a laugh. ‘He’s awfully dark! Hair as black as soot, eyes like bits of coal, eyebrows that look as if they’ve been put in with charcoal. And his name means „The black one“, doesn’t it? Le - noir - that’s French for black.’
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Quite possibly. But Enid would certainly have repeatedly called him "black" if he was actually black-skinned (as she does with other characters such as Jo-Jo) — and that still doesn't explain how the article writer ever got the impression that Sooty is "unlikeable". :roll:
Society Member

Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Wolfgang wrote:
‘If you saw him you wouldn’t think so,’ said Dick, with a laugh. ‘He’s awfully dark! Hair as black as soot, eyes like bits of coal, eyebrows that look as if they’ve been put in with charcoal. And his name means „The black one“, doesn’t it? Le - noir - that’s French for black.’
I take that to mean he has black hair, and very dark brown eyes. Not his skin. :| 8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member