Enid Blyton Cookbook Advertised

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
timv

Enid Blyton Cookbook Advertised

Post by timv »

I see that there's an article in the 'Daily Telegraph' today that Allegra McEvedy (author of assorted large-format recipe books eg 'Around the World in 120 Recipes') is bringing out an 'Enid Blyton Cookbook' with Hachette, entitled 'Jolly Good Food'. This is supposed to be recipes inspired by Enid's work and possibly some by Enid herself, but there is no indication as to whether she will include any taken verbatim from the books (most obviously the contents of some of the Five's enormous picnics or farmhouse breakfasts).

This seems to be intended in an appreciative manner with accurate accounts of what menus appear where in the books, rather than the usual tongue-in-cheek 'witty' Blyton parodies. It's from a serious cookery author, not a 'humourist' desperate to extract laughs and play up to the Comic Strip image, which is hopeful. It's noted that Enid did include 'healthy' breakfasts with what we would now call 'organic' milk, eggs etc. Enid and Allegra are cited as joint authors on the Hachette website reference to this. We shall see what its' like - as long as there are only 'lashings' of boiled eggs, as in the real books, not ginger beer!

Perhaps Enid can be played up too as a promoter of conservationist faring as opposed to industrialised modern farms too - certainly I always bracketed her as such with Monica Edwards. The Mistletoe Farm and Cherry Tree/ Willow Farm books are a ice picture of the 1940s-50s situation before 50-acre fields, tearing up hedgerows, and concrete sheds came along - with realistic pictures of the problems and the temptation of small, neat, modern Holly Farm.
Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Re: Enid Blyton Cookbook advertised

Post by Fiona1986 »

Sounds interesting, I will have to look out for it.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I spoke to Jack Malvern from the Times about this yesterday and he seems to have written an article, but as I am not a subscriber to their online site I can't read it to see if I have been misquoted - rather annoying!
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Here we are — just found it on Hachette's website: https://www.hachettechildrens.co.uk/boo ... 1444929805" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It just says it's "coming soon", which could mean anything. :P Seems it's aimed at children — I might still consider getting it for my mum, though, who loves both cooking and Enid Blyton. :wink:

Mind you, the ad certainly promises "lashings of ginger beer", so I wouldn't be surprised if the book also has it!! I also wonder whether they'll go for the "classic" look with the illustrations, or the modern ones...
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Just as long as they have recipes for Pop Biscuits, Google Buns, Hot and Cold Goodies and Toffee Shocks, I'll buy it! :-D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

I wonder if they'll have any recipes involving potted meat or tinned tongue? :twisted:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Haha! I'm still not sure what potted meat is. Is it simply meat paste?

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Yes I always thought of it as meat paste as my mother always referred to meat paste as "potted meat".

The book does sound interesting, better than the parodies anyway. perhaps recipes for cooking baked hams and meat pies etc could be included along with the fun stuff like toffee shocks and pop biscuits.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

It sounds as if it could be interesting and more wholesome than the adult lot! Yes, I think potted meat is meat paste too. I always wanted a recipe of pop biscuits and google buns too.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

It is amazing that something like this can cause such a fuss when it has been listed on Amazon for several months! I suppose I am the only person who looks at future publications!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jolly-Good-Foo ... 322&sr=1-8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is due to be published on 5th October, but the picture shown in the various articles shows a different cover now.
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

Thanks for the link Courtenay, on the Hachette website I see new ebook editions of the O'Clock Tales are being published in June. Apparently they have the original text and illustrations. Interesting.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Thanks for the Amazon link, Tony. I notice it's listed under Children's Books > Fiction > Classics... shouldn't it be something like Children's Books > Non-fiction > Cookery? Or do they always assume anything with Enid Blyton's name on it must be fiction?? :P
Society Member

IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

I'd like that book, especially if it's got the Faraway Tree recipes in it :D . I can't stand that awful modern looking cover though! It looks more like something from Roald Dahl than Enid Blyton :x.
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Tony Summerfield

When I was talking to the journalist from The Times he did read out the list of some of the recipes in the book, as he had phoned Hachette and asked about the book. I am sure they will be in his article which annoyingly I can't read as I am not an online subscriber. I can't remember much, but they were all fairly mundane things which would be easy for children to cook - rock cakes, treacle tarts, quiches etc. They didn't really have much to do with Enid Blyton stories.
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Quiches? I don't remember them in any EB book. My mother used to make a dish she called a "bacon and egg pie" which I suppose Joan might have knocked up in the Kirrin Cottage kitchen, though.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member