Adventure Audiobooks (and others)

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Minerva

Re: Adventure Audiobooks (and others)

Post by Minerva »

Fiona1986 wrote:I don't recall anyone commenting on the morality of the You Tube offerings. We simply raised the legal issues - as many people would choose not to involve themselves however tenuously in the breaking of copyright laws be that by merely listening or promoting such items. That's entirely up to each individual and I think that anyone with all the facts can then make their own decisions on such matters.
Yes, well I did make it clear that I was talking about the morality (vs. legality) of administering copyright laws.

I suspect that this whole discussion is becoming rather too "Us" and "Him" (but thanks to those who actually addressed the issues!)

Whew!!
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

:| :| :shock:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Minerva

Post by Minerva »

"Begging your pardon, Minerva, but I'm a bit baffled here. Was there any particular reason for reacting in such a dramatically affronted way to something I posted, almost as if it were a personal insult to you? :(

"I don't know you any more than you know me, but I can assure you I'm not a "legal eagle", nor am I trying to "brow-beat" anyone "either for self-interested reasons or out of a misplaced sense of loyalty to the author" in order to "protect vested interests". I was merely expressing a concern about this particular YouTube channel's possible infringements of copyright, as some others in this discussion have also done. I have no great interest in the subject overall and I'm certainly not calling for anyone to be prosecuted over it.

"I'm just sorry my opinion seems to have triggered such indignation and outrage (which I never intended or expected it to) in what is normally such a friendly discussion forum. Couldn't we simply agree to disagree, if indeed we do disagree? :) Whatever one's personal stance on this issue, it's surely not worth getting so worked up over."

Dear Courtenay,

Frankly, I'm baffled too! Perhaps it's all the fault of this Litigious age in which we live? :)

First, I should deal with a couple of red herrings? I don't recall saying that you PERSONALLY were a "Legal eagle" (In fact, the very term is a hoary old cliche, usually employed by people endeavouring to be humorous! So, I guess I failed that task, eh?) Likewise, brow-beating and "Interest", both individually or collectively (the less comment on that subject the better, I would have thought - although there is, apparently, a bit of it around!)

Secondly, I don't think I'm easily insulted, either. So we can cross that one off the list too? And "Indignation & Outrage" seems a tad excessive?

I'm sorry that I wasted your time, since you "have no great interest in the subject overall". I thought it would be an interesting topic to toss into the melting pot. but I was wrong.

I'd also like to apologize for being wrong?

All things considered, I think we should take your advice and "agree to disagree"?

See ya.
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I'm speechless.

And that's unusual for me.

In the words of an old advert

"Calmn Down dear, it's only a forum...' :roll:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Minerva

Post by Minerva »

Thanks Mate, I think I'll have a ginger beer and a good lie down!
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Cathy! What have you done? An innocent post directing us to some YouTube audiobooks has suddenly brought the guns and heavy missiles out. If you had been tasked to start a forum war, I would never had thought that was the post to do it! For goodness sake, folks, lighten up and have a cup of Lapsang Souchong with a gluten-free herbal biscuit or a piece of coffee cake.

Aren't we talking about old cassettes here? No one is pirating the next season of Game of Thrones or copying The Mona Lisa. :roll:

Oh, and Courtenay, you might not be a 'legal eagle', but you did mention it first!
Erm, is that quite legal from a copyright standpoint, I wonder??

From little embers do huge flames grow
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I think Mischief the Monkey should come back to the forums and give Courtenay a slap for spoiling Cathy's thread! :lol: :lol: :lol:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

You're absolutely right, Julie. I agree wholeheartedly! :lol: :wink:
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Am I missing something? If we're naming names, then I think its Minerva who caused all the ill-feeling on this thread personally, by being so OTT. :?
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I feel the same, Rob. Perhaps her comments were meant to be humorous and rather got lost in translation but it did feel very much like a personal attack against any and all of those that had previously commented about the legality of the audio books. I wouldn't consider our replies could be fairly likened to fireworks, either, as we're mostly baffled and wondering what on earth is going on.

Just a personal feeling but certain phrases when put in quotation marks (for example Thanks for the "reality check", ) suddenly come across as rude and sarcastic. This is a problem with replying only in text, meanings can be lost or new ones ascribed.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

This is exactly how I read the posts, too. It seemed a bit over the top as a reaction, I felt.

Most of these audio recordings would still be in copyright and therefore the placing of them on YouTube and other sites is, technically, illegal - there's no going past it. Whether we think this should be the case or not is another thing. They are the sort of stuff that would only appeal to a small amount of fans...so maybe its not so bad...maybe its acceptable because at least people can hear them...but they are still illegal, and as far as I can see that's the only point that was being made?! :?
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Fiona1986 wrote:I feel the same, Rob. Perhaps her comments were meant to be humorous and rather got lost in translation but it did feel very much like a personal attack against any and all of those that had previously commented about the legality of the audio books.
Yes, unfortunately that's how Minerva's comments came across to me too - whether intended or not.

Anyway, let's try to move on from all that now. It's fine for people to carry on expressing varying opinions as long as it's done with respect.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Rob Houghton wrote:Am I missing something? If we're naming names, then I think its Minerva who caused all the ill-feeling on this thread personally, by being so OTT. :?
I am in full agreement with this, and I was disappointed to see unnecessary comments from long-standing forum members who should know better. Please think more carefully before making personal remarks!
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Mine was only joking hence the smilies. Sorry if my sense of humour offends, delete if you must.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Blimey. The boss has spoken. I will slap myself on the wrist, although I note no names have been mentioned. Remember, Tony, it is the long-standing forum members that have made this forum a success. I agree that rude, personal remarks should not be made, but I haven't read any - mainly harmless banter - I know Courtenay won't be upset by my remarks - if indeed you were alluding to me - which maybe you weren't! :D
Society Member