Article in the Spectator

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Article in the Spectator

Post by Daisy »

This is on facebook today. I'm not sure when it was published but haven't seen it until one of our members put it on facebook. A very appreciative article. One does feel the tide is turning a bit and more people are daring to speak out in favour of Enid and her books.
https://life.spectator.co.uk/2017/02/en ... ens-books/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: Article in the Spectator

Post by pete9012S »

Thanks Daisy.
Blyton’s titles sell at the rate of one a minute in the UK and the recently published spoof Famous Five stories for adults have hit the book sales jackpot. Five on Brexit Island has sold more than 372,000 copies in the UK and a new batch of titles, Five Forget Mother’s Day, Five Lose Dad in the Garden Centre and Five Get Beach Body Ready, are on their way.
Boo! Hiss! :cry:
The editorial director of Enid Blyton Entertainment, which gave its permission for the parodies, reckons that far from being appalled Blyton would have been thrilled to reach a new audience.
Is there anything in print from Enid during her lifetime to back this incredible assertion up?
Or perhaps Enid's surviving family members have spoken out favourably about the 'new work' from Enid?
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

An interesting article, Daisy, in spite of the myth that Enid was inspired by Corfe Castle. Kirrin Island was surrounded by sea - Corfe Castle isn't! We (old people) might dislike the "adult" books, but they keep Enid's name alive. :D
Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Thank you, Daisy. An interesting article. :D
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

That s a lovely article Daisy, I enjoyed reading that, thank you for posting it :) . I am staggered at how many copies of 'those books' (I refuse to call them FF's, they are not FF's of any sort) have sold though, but it's obvious why. The title. Even if the book is never opened the title will have made people want it as a sort of momento. I do reckon that without that particular book the sale figures on them would be nothing like that which is really unfortunate, as if they hadn't got that figure they might not have felt buyoed up to print more!
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Moonraker wrote: We (old people) might dislike the "adult" books, but they keep Enid's name alive. :D
hmmm...isn't that a bit like saying if Enid's name was on a book about how to abuse drugs or have an affair or sell children into slavery, it would be better than nothing? :roll: :wink:

I'm pretty sure the 'Brexit' book would be the biggest seller? I haven't researched this, but I'm sure it will be, purely because of the subject. Many buyers probably haven't even read it - I haven't!
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

This claim from the editorial director that "far from being appalled, Blyton would have been thrilled to reach a new audience" is complete tosh. For starters, Enid herself is not here to give her opinion, so no-one can claim to know for certain what she "would have" thought — that sounds more like a classic piece of self-justification from people who are making money out of this. But going by everything we know of her statements and actions during her lifetime — the kind of audience she wanted to reach, the kind of messages and impact she wanted her books to have, the kind of products and ideas she wanted her name (which she deliberately built up into a brand) to be associated with — the most logical conclusion would be that she would not be happy with these books and would not agree to have her name on them. I can't say that for certain either, of course, but it seems to make more sense...

Other than that bit, it's a really good article! :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Thanks for the link, Daisy. Not a bad article although the phrases "lashings of ginger beer" and "jolly japes" crop up with wearisome regularity in pieces like this. Funny to think of the four children "pouring over a smugglers' map"! Like Emma Lee-Potter, I used to spend practically all my pocket money on books. It was money well spent as I still have the books today and have read them many times. They've brought me immeasurable pleasure over the years.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Rob Houghton wrote:
Moonraker wrote: We (old people) might dislike the "adult" books, but they keep Enid's name alive. :D
hmmm...isn't that a bit like saying if Enid's name was on a book about how to abuse drugs or have an affair or sell children into slavery, it would be better than nothing? :roll: :wink:
Ridiculous thing to say! Do you honestly believe Hachette would allow that? :lol:
Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

Moonraker wrote:An interesting article, Daisy, in spite of the myth that Enid was inspired by Corfe Castle. Kirrin Island was surrounded by sea - Corfe Castle isn't!:D
I sit on the fence with this one. Corfe doesn't have to be surrounded by the sea.
We're talking about Enid's incredible imagination here! She could quite easily have set Corfe Castle on an island in the middle of a bay! I can remember Enid's eldest daughter, Gillian Baverstock, telling me that when she was young, her Mother told her that Kirrin Castle was inspired by Corfe Castle, although Enid said it was based in Jersey. I can't imagine Enid visiting Corfe Castle & not using it in her F5 stories, especially as Five on a treasure island was written shortly after her first visit to Corfe! :D
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Moonraker wrote:
Rob Houghton wrote: hmmm...isn't that a bit like saying if Enid's name was on a book about how to abuse drugs or have an affair or sell children into slavery, it would be better than nothing? :roll: :wink:
Ridiculous thing to say! Do you honestly believe Hachette would allow that? :lol:
Shhhh... don't give them ideas. :shock: :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I sure it is already in the pipeline!! :lol:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)