An Article by Richa Gupta

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Tony Summerfield

An Article by Richa Gupta

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I have been sent the email below asking me to put a link to an article on our Facebook page, but as I enjoyed the article myself (should have been in the Journal!) I thought some of our forumites might enjoy it too. If it gets any comments I will send a link to Richa.

My name is Richa Gupta, and I am a high school student from Bangalore, India. Enid Blyton was probably the first author whose books I read and completed, and her influence lingers in my life even today. My article at The Huffington Post is an attempt to find those threads of memory, and to lace them together to form something more coherent and powerful.

Here's the link: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/eni ... bf74f03c6b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Re: An Article by Richa Gupta

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I thoroughly enjoyed reading that. Richa says everything that I feel about Blyton's world of books, security, escapism, learning whilst young to relate to others etc. That article would be well read in the Journal I'm sure and would fit between the Journal pages nicely.

I loved reading Richa's article, and so nice that she feels to go back into these books after years away is like re-visiting old friends. I'm sure so many of us feel this way, too. That's why we love these books so much and the characters we've grown up with. They feel like real friends.

Great read. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

A very enjoyable article. It's a few decades since I first became acquainted with Enid Blyton but I still feel the same as Richa Gupta. My Blyton books are lifelong friends, always there whatever happens. They taught me a lot and helped shape me, and they continue to bring me pleasure. Even when life is busy and I don't have time to read them, simply knowing that they're there is a great comfort.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Perceptive article, and what a great writing style! I really enjoyed it, and agree with everything she wrote - going back into that comforting Blyton world is something I enjoy experiencing every day when I'm reading a Blyton book, and also when I'm writing one, I get a similar feeling! This article does indeed deserve to be in The Journal. :-D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Yes, a wonderful article. I agree — Tony, could you please ask Richa if she would give permission for it to be published in the Journal? It definitely deserves to be there and I'm sure other EBS members around the world would love what she has to say too.

I especially appreciate what Richa says here about why Enid's books resonate with children:
It was all very idealistic, and nothing like the real world. But when you’re still in single digits, you’re in no hurry to escape the bubble you’ve conjured around yourself. You want to live in a world where problems can be resolved within a few pages, where innocent children can triumph over manipulative adults, where people don’t always have to have ulterior motives.

Blyton provided me with a safe world… a place where I could explore, question, hope.
Even reading them as an adult, I can say that while I don't expect problems in my own life and the wider world to be "resolved within a few pages" either, Enid's stories still remind me that goodness and decency and courage and kindness do matter and they do make a difference in people's lives — and there's still plenty of those qualities in the world, if we look hard enough. :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Tony Summerfield

I will certainly send a link to this thread to Richa and hope that she might like to register and reply to some of the nice comments. I'm afraid that even if Richa agreed it cannot go into the next Journal as I have already completed an 88-pager, but if she would like I can definitely offer to put it into our July Journal.
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

Lovely article! I especially liked her expression "Within minutes, I'd acquainted myself with old friends". That's exactly how I feel when I re-read a Blyon book I've not read for a while! Well done, Richa! :D
deepeabee
Favourite book/series: The one I'm reading....
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville.

Post by deepeabee »

I really enjoyed reading Richa's article and how I could relate to it. Enid Blyton books shaped my life, gave me a safe escape from the real world (my home life wasn't the best). I
SwatIsaid!

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I was lucky in that my childhood might be described as 'idyllic' except for a bit of bullying in my early teens - with freedom, long hot summers, bike rides, picnics, days out, hide and seek and building dens and fishing for sticklebacks and playing in a tree house etc. Reading Enid Blyton books as an adult takes me back to that idyllic sunny time! :-D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

I can identify with the article "making friends with" and "getting to know" the characters in the books.
(not just Blyton books as well).
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I see that Richa has joined the forums, her name appears at the bottom of the Home Page, but as yet she's not commented on this thread. I do hope she has time to read this thread. :D

8)

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

She has read it as she logged on soon after I activated her and she then sent me another email asking me to slightly alter my initial post which I did.
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Thanks for letting us know Tony. :)

8)

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

A great article. I would imagine copyright is with The Huffington Post, which might cause a problem in putting it in the Journal. I have added it to our Facebook page.
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

I would have thought that the copyright would be with Richa herself, and I wouldn't see any problem with putting it in the Journal as it would not be appearing on the internet and only available to subscribers. I recently had an article that had been published in The Lady in the the Journal and all it needed was the author's permission.