Rosica Colin

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Rosica Colin

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Rosica Colin is referred to in Barbara Stoney's biography as Enid Blyton's "foreign [literary] agent". I was interested to see that Rosica Colin has a Wikipedia page which tells us a little about her:
Rosica Colin (10 October 1902 – 25 April 1983) was a Romanian literary agent of the mid twentieth century who was principally known for her promotion of works in translation. Using her language skills and international outlook, she represented French writers in England and English writers in Europe. The firm she founded still exists as Rosica Colin Ltd.

Early life

Rosica Colin was born in Romania around 1903 [which contradicts the birthdate given above].

Career

In 1939, Colin travelled to England after spending time in Germany. She worked for Basil Blackwell in Oxford during the Second World War and subsequently for the Romanian department of the BBC and the Belgian Government Economic Mission.
Colin set up as a literary agent in London. She gave Diana Pullein-Thompson her first job. A skilled linguist, Colin was principally known for her promotion of works in translation. Among the authors she represented were Jean-Paul Sartre, Simone de Beauvoir, Jean Genet, Eugène Ionesco, Heinrich Böll, and Albert Camus. An astute judge of quality with a Catholic taste, Colin soon found herself representing authors writing in English as diverse as the "angry young man" Alan Sillitoe (who she helped early in his career), the writer of westerns J.T. Edson, and the playwrights Howard Sackler and Howard Brenton.
Colin represented Enid Blyton in Europe and persuaded French and German publishers to take Blyton on in translation, resulting in huge sales.

Death

Colin died at her home in London on 25 April 1983.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosica_Colin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Re: Rosica Colin

Post by Tony Summerfield »

One thing that it doesn't say there is that I believe she was also instrumental in getting the Famous Five Play into Paris in the early 1960s.
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

Thanks Anita. I found this post quite interesting. I've read Barbara Stoney's book, but I can't remember Rosica Colin being mentioned. Mind you, it's been a while since I read it! :D
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:
Colin represented Enid Blyton in Europe and persuaded French and German publishers to take Blyton on in translation, resulting in huge sales.
Very interesting. Considering how many fans Blyton has in both France and, particularly, Germany it seems that Rosica Colin was a very valuable person in the Blyton story.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member