What dog breed for Enid Blyton story?

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Red Tower
Favourite book/series: Adventure series/FF/Secret Series/R Mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Re: What dog breed for Enid Blyton story?

Post by Red Tower »

Timmy seemed to be a Berger Picard in the Eileen Soper illustrations, imo.

http://www.dogsreviewed.com/images/berger-picard.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Society Member
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

While appearance wise it fits the description, I highly doubt Timmy could have been one of those. The breed is extremely rare, even in its native country of France it's rare as they were almost made extinct in the first and second world war and are only just starting to recover in very small numbers. Their like hen's teeth over here, they've only been acknowledged and registered on the breed import list since 2014. That the dog Enid took her inspiration for Timmy from could be a virtually non existent breed from another country and has never been known or seen in Britain until two years ago is pretty much impossible. It could certainly have been a mongrel that resembled such a breed, but not the breed itself. That's as likely as Jack finding his extinct great auk on the Isle of gloom :P .
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Red Tower
Favourite book/series: Adventure series/FF/Secret Series/R Mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by Red Tower »

I couldn't agree more with you, IceMaiden. The Timmy that Enid Blyton described in the FF books certainly is not the one illustrated by Eileen Soper.
Society Member
colliegal

Post by colliegal »

Timmy is described as a large, brown mongrel - I've always imagined him as a Labrador/Alsatian cross. The Alsatian genes would make him such a good guard dog and protector of the children, but he's also got the gentle nature of the Labrador. The dogs used in the film and TV series' never seemed a good fit for Timmy. None were big enough, nor frightening enough to scare off the villains!
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

That's not completely true - there are two Danish Famous Five films (go adventuring again/get into trouble) of the late sixties/early seventies, in which an Alsatian was used for Timmy.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
colliegal

Post by colliegal »

Wolfgang wrote:That's not completely true - there are two Danish Famous Five films (go adventuring again/get into trouble) of the late sixties/early seventies, in which an Alsatian was used for Timmy.
Ah right, I haven't seen those! It definitely makes sense, having a bigger, more fierce-looking dog playing the role of Timmy :)
jubei
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Barney 'R' Mystery
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by jubei »

aha... a dog breed topic was what I will posted here, as I always picture Enid Blyton adventures as a bunch of teenage with dog sniffing for some mystery.

btw, another dog that hardly anyone remember : Bingo , Ern Goon's dog. From Wikipedia :
Bingo – (Ern's dog). Ern Goon's new dog Bingo makes an appearance in the last book, The Mystery of the Banshee Towers. Bingo is described as having a huge tail that "waves instead of wag" but small legs to match it. Like Fatty and Buster, Ern and Bingo simply adore each other a lot.
reread 2015 - Barney Series ,The Secret of Killimooin
reread Feb 2023 - The Rilloby Fair Mystery