Nature

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Re: Nature

Post by Fiona1986 »

http://stv.tv/news/uk/1364326-angry-sea ... evacuated/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm just going to leave this here...
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

:lol:

Exciting!

I bet the seagull felt scared and trapped, though. :(
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Domino

Post by Domino »

Stephen the Seagull (of Hastings Direct fame) says:

"Well, what do they expect? Fancy putting a roof on a supermarket! I mean, it's hardly seagull friendly, is it?"

Dave
He called the greatest archers to a tavern on the green.

Society Member
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:We've twice tried to donate old beds to charity, but on both occasions we were told they weren't in good enough condition!
When we cleared Mum's house the charity was very fussy. Beds, if they had a fire certificate label attached were accepted. Surprisingly they would only accept it if it had a mattress and that too needed a fire label. The head board was rejected (no label). Promises of free collection, a myth - " sorry but if you can get it to us". When we arrived they weren't sure they had room- despite agreeing in advance. :roll: Even giving good quality goods away was hard work.
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

The seagull story is interesting because this would probably not have happened in the old days before automatic doors etc. I've seen pigeons flying around in the shopping centre in Redditch, which also has automatic doors.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

I would imagine the seagull was flying at people (if he actually was!) because, as you said Rob, he was scared and felt trapped. He obviously knew he was in unfamiliar surroundings (ie indoors) and surrounded by people, and would have been in a panic.

Animals do panic when they're somewhere unfamiliar. Some people don't understand that. :roll: they put an animal in a scary unfamiliar situation and then they wonder why it goes berserk, and usually then blame the animal. :roll:

They don't understand what's going on when we take them somewhere, because we cant explain to them, so it annoys me that people dont seem to have any understanding or common sense that the poor animal will be terrified and not understanding.

I do wonder if he actually deliberately flew at someone's face or just swooped past her face very close. Seagulls do that all the time in the city here, I'm always having to duck, but they're not actually flying AT me, they're just swooping close to me on their way past.
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

:lol: I saw the seagull story yesterday! Actually, I thought it was a good thing that they evacuated the store and made sure the seagull was safely released. He (or she) couldn't have been made any less scared and stressed by all the people who were most likely shouting and making a fuss.

Meanwhile, elsewhere in the news, the notorious shoplifting seagulls of Aberdeen (one was made famous by this video some years ago) are at it again... :mrgreen:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Deej92
Favourite book/series: Five Get into Trouble (Famous Five)
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Deej92 »

This is a story I wrote last month about a postman who refused to deliver mail to a house in Caernarfon because he was scared of marauding seagulls :lol: http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-w ... r-11680884" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Oh dear... good report, Deej. I must admit this other story made me laugh even more, though: http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-w ... s-11168371" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Deej92

Post by Deej92 »

Cheers, Courtenay. That other story is very funny. I've never seen anything quite like it before :P The problem with seagulls has got so bad in North Wales that a special seagull committee has been set-up by Conwy Council to work out how to deal with them.
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Bird-brained or what? :lol:
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Deej92

Post by Deej92 »

I see that Conwy CounciI are trialling four-weekly bin collections across the county next month. This will initially be rolled out to all houses which currently have refuse collections on a Monday – with all other collection days to move to a three-weekly schedule. It will be interesting to see how it goes. http://www.northwalespioneer.co.uk/news ... month.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Foxes visit our garden quite frequently but I'd never managed to get any good photos until I saw this one a few days ago. They always make me think of Button!

"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

:shock: :shock: :shock: He's beautiful!!!

What lovely photos.
If I had a garden I'd be out there every night watching for wildlife like Philip does!
I love foxes. I know they get a bad name because they savage people's chickens but they're only trying to find something to eat, after all.
My friend has got a tame fox, they actually make lovely pets if you tame them properly. Button wasn't too far from the truth really, they're perfectly tameable and just like dogs. :)
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

That's interesting, Cathy. Has your friend managed to house-train the fox? They are beautiful creatures, though their droppings are contaminated with worms (I assume a tame fox could be wormed though) and they sometimes wake us up at night with the noise they make.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member