New Noddy Magazine

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

New Noddy Magazine

Post by Lucky Star »

In my workplace they give out free magazines and newspapers to the customers. We always have a varied and eclectic selection. Today I noticed a Noddy magazine on one of the racks. I naturally picked it up for a look. Definitely aimed at children it states "Brand new mag" and "As seen on Milkshake 5" It's basically an activities magazine with puzzles and games for little ones to do all themed loosely around Noddy. Here's a picture of the cover. Anyone know anything about it? I haven't seen it in any shops though I may have just missed it.

"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: New Noddy Magazine

Post by Courtenay »

Is that seriously what Noddy looks like these days?? :shock: I'm not sure I would even have recognised him if it wasn't for the title...
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Poor Noddy and poor Noddy's car! :shock:

Noddy is definitely cross-eyed, and his car looks like some type of Beetle! ;-)

£3.95 also seems a bit excessive...but maybe it's worth the price. Not my style at all i'm afraid. :-(
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

You mean you aren't dying to get your hands on 35 stickers Rob? :wink:
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I'm just surprised they haven't put Blyton's name on it, they seem to put her name on everything else even if she didn't write it.

Magazines are horrifyingly expensive these days! I was going to buy Ewan a magazine when he had to travel for work a few months ago... I couldn't find anything for less than £5!
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

I'm actually relieved they didn't put Enid Blyton's name on it, since the cover doesn't bear much resemblance to the characters she created!! :roll:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Enid Blyton's name hasn't been associated with Noddy for quite a few years.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Funny, that, when her name still sells books like hot cakes! Perhaps they decided along the way that the new Noddy "product" had evolved too far from the original and association with the original author was no longer needed?
Society Member

Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

"Use your tablet and pen to draw" sounds like a suggestion from the flower-power years. I wonder if there is a mention of Enid inside the magazine?
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I doubt it! Even in the Noddy Magazines of 2003/2004 which I have a few issues of, the name Enid Blyton is just relegated to the small print on the final page, as in ' based on the original Noddy character written by Enid Bklyton'. Now that Noddy doesn't even belong to Enid Blyton Ltd etc (or any British company) I don't think she would feature at all.
Last edited by Rob Houghton on 21 Jul 2016, 11:51, edited 1 time in total.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

A sad comedown for one of my favourite childhood characters. :( Even Disney still admits in the fine print that they got Winnie-the-Pooh from the original stories by A.A. Milne! (I loved the Disney cartoons when I was little, but later came to much prefer the originals — although the Disney version isn't "bad", just different.)

I wonder if future generations will even realise (unless they're told) that Noddy was created by the same author who gave us the Famous Five and the Faraway Tree and so on? Noddy was arguably her most famous and popular character — certainly the one who had by far the most merchandise in her day — so that makes it even sadder. Whether or not Enid would have agreed with all the "updating" of her work (removing golliwogs and so on), I can't imagine that she would ever have chosen to give up ownership and control of Noddy or of any of her other characters. As far as I can see, she cared far too much about her work and the way it was presented to the world for that — and she definitely knew how well her name sold books and magazines and toys and other products!!
Society Member

Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Noddy now belongs to 'Dreamworks Animation'.

If anyone wants to read a few of the plot outlines for the series 'Noddy - Toyland Detective' - then take a deep breath and click the link to Wikipedia! :roll:

Noddy's car is now called 'Revs'. :roll:

There are also characters called 'Fuse', 'Scurvy the Parrot' 'Deltoid' and 'Smartysaurus' etc, and Toyland has various 'suburbs' such as 'Brickabuild', 'DinoLab' 'Fable Forest' and 'Toy Green'. :x

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noddy,_Toyland_Detective

:evil:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Gosh, how times have changed. When I was still at school — only about 20 years ago — the version of Noddy that was on telly then was still very recognisable as Enid Blyton's work. I was a bit "too old" for Noddy by then and didn't watch it much, but the characters all looked and acted much like they do in the original books, and in the opening sequence, the first thing that appears after the title is "Based on the stories by Enid Blyton" (with her trademark signature)! (Can't help noticing, too, that the theme song says "It's sixpence an adventure" — at a time when even Britain, let alone Australia, had long since given up sixpences as part of the currency! But there was obviously no fear that young children wouldn't understand such an "archaic" reference.)

When I have the time (and the money), I'm now determined I'm going to collect a complete set of the original Noddy hardcover books, with NO alterations. I know they're getting more and more pricey, but I think I'll just have to do it. :evil: (Besides, I never managed to read the whole series as a child, so I've got some catching up to do. :wink: )
Society Member

Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I think the worse thing that has changed since Dreamworks took over is the way they've altered the look of Noddy and his car. The car looks nothing like the original drawings, and replacing Noddy's neckerchief with a BUTTON?! That just seems ridiculous. Considering that right from the very beginning the illustrations of Noddy were of equal importance to the text (actually I think the illustrations by Beek in particular are a reason to own the originals regardless of Blyton's text!) it doesn't seem right that the look of Noddy and his car have been altered so considerably, not to mention the modernisation of Toyland. :-(

When my niece was a toddler in the early 1990's she absolutely adored Noddy (one reason I need better copies of my Noddy library is that she looked through them and had them read to her so regularly!) and she loved the TV version at the time. Many stories back then still used Enid Blyton's original ideas (such as Noddy and Tessie Bear' with the milk churn and 'raining eggs' story.

I have all the original Noddy books but I'm now starting to collect them in dust wrappers when I can. It's still quite easy to get cheap versions. Recently I bought early editions of 'Noddy Goes To Toyland', 'Noddy At The Seaside', and 'Noddy And The Bumpy Dog' all with dust wrappers for £6.00 plus postage.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Rob Houghton wrote:I think the worse thing that has changed since Dreamworks took over is the way they've altered the look of Noddy and his car. The car looks nothing like the original drawings, and replacing Noddy's neckerchief with a BUTTON?! That just seems ridiculous. Considering that right from the very beginning the illustrations of Noddy were of equal importance to the text (actually I think the illustrations by Beek in particular are a reason to own the originals regardless of Blyton's text!) it doesn't seem right that the look of Noddy and his car have been altered so considerably, not to mention the modernisation of Toyland. :-(
Totally agree. Actually, the button I don't mind quite so much as the utterly inane and vacuous look on Noddy's face, not to mention his car now having a face too (and an equally stupid-looking one at that)! :evil:
Rob Houghton wrote:I have all the original Noddy books but I'm now starting to collect them in dust wrappers when I can. It's still quite easy to get cheap versions. Recently I bought early editions of 'Noddy Goes To Toyland', 'Noddy At The Seaside', and 'Noddy And The Bumpy Dog' all with dust wrappers for £6.00 plus postage.
Now that's encouraging — thanks for letting me know, Rob. :D
Society Member