Facsimile hardcover dustwrappers.

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Facsimile hardcover dustwrappers.

Post by MJE »

I'm not quite sure if I've put this in the right sub-forum or not: it is prompted by a post I saw in the "For Sale" department, but doesn't directly relate to it - so I won't distract that thread with my question.

When I followed a link for an eBay sale of a Famous Five book signed by Enid Blyton, I decided I wasn't interested - not only because of the high price, but because the book didn't seem in very good condition, and it was clear that it was Enid Blyton's signature that was commanding the high price. (I am less interested in having signed books than in just having good copies in as good condition as possible.)
     But I followed a link at the bottom of the page which led to a copy of "Five Go to Mystery Moor" which *did* look a lot more interesting. I have almost given up hope of finding a complete series Famous Five hardcovers with dustwrappers that won't bankrupt me; but this did seem for a minute to renew my hopes of accumulating such a series after all.
     (I do have all the Famous Five books, and all in hardcover (with many duplications) except for "Five Have a Mystery to Solve"; but more than half have no dustwrappers, and most of those that do are very tatty, and some are in slightly later editions with Betty Maxey's illustrations, or else Eileen Soper's illustrations but later versions lacking the colour shading of earlier ones, and often printed more fuzzily and poorly, too. I am now less inclined to buy a copy if I suspect I won't be satisfied with it long-term, and later want to buy a better one. I've already wasted too much money playing that game.)
     I almost bought this "Mystery Moor" copy, but took another look; and it is from this that my question stems.

What stayed my hand was my belatedly noticing that the dustwrapper was a facsimile one. I assume that means that someone photocopied a real dustwrapper and put it on the book. I have never seen one of these in person, so I am wondering just how well they turn out.
     These facsimile dustwrappers do seem to be becoming more and more common, which I suppose underlines how the real ones are becoming rarer and rarer, and more and more expensive. Perhaps I may have to be satisfied with these if I want to get the complete series.
     But what are they like? If you look at them, is it obvious that they are not the real ones? Do the colours reproduce well, and is the detail sharp, or kind of fuzzy? Does the style or quality of the paper look obviously different from the original dustwrappers?
     This copy I nearly bought was £12, which seemed quite good for a book I first thought had a real dustwrapper; but now I am wondering if it is a tad expensive for a copy with a facsimile wrapper. But I am now a bit out of touch with what prices are reasonable for what.
     Given that seeing this did slightly renew my hope of, even now, gathering a decent Famous Five collection, I would very much appreciate hearing anyone's thoughts about, or experiences with, books with facsimile dustwrappers - and also guidance about what prices would be reasonable for books in reasonably good condition with facsimile wrappers.
     I don't have a particular issue about buying *first* editions; but I strongly prefer *early* enough editions that the colour shading in illustrations is still there (it got removed some time in the 1960s) - this includes having those large front- and end-paper illustrations with the colouring that was originally in them. Also, having the full-colour frontispiece illustrations is ideal, too, but I suppose makes things a lot more difficult.
     Thank you.

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Re: Facsimile hardcover dustwrappers.

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I have photocopied wrappers on a very few early books and they are all very good and at first glance you wouldn't be able to tell that they were copies, but they have all been done by friends. I have done this for two reasons - firstly in my position it is useful to have wrappers of 1st editions for a reference, so that I am able to advise when people ask questions. My second reason is more logical as I paid very little for the books themselves and I was not prepared to pay several hundred pounds for the genuine article! A couple of years ago I got offered some very nice early Newnes 1st editions in wrappers but the seller was wanting £1000 each for them!!

I would never buy these things on Ebay as, particularly if they are reprints, the chances are that they have not got the correct wrapper for that edition. Also the quality of 'facsimiles' varies widely.

I have put below two images from the Cave which I have taken from my own photocopied wrappers.

Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

The quality will only be as good as the person's printer! I've had some rather naff facsimile jackets, unfortunately. Some sellers have the facsimile part well hidden in their listing, and on others the bad quality is apparent until you see the book in person.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

On eBay I've sold books with copy wrappers, but I never advertise them as 'facsimile' because mine are just copy wrappers without the inner flaps being printed - they are often just cover pictures I've taken from The Cave and are sometimes fuzzy. I never charge for these wrappers - only for the book. These were just some books I was replacing with better real wrapper copies as I bought them, so they weren't copy wrappers I'd specifically added in order to sell the books.

I would never personally buy a book with a facsimile wrapper. I'm not bothered about first editions, as long as I can buy an original edition (with all the illustrations, colour frontis, two colour illustrations, etc) with a dust wrapper, then I'm happy. I don't personally see the point in buying books with facsimile wrappers when the wrapper makes the book twice as expensive. On eBay you can buy a facsimile wrapper without the book for £7.99 - an exorbitant price, in my view.

If you're just looking to own a collection of books for personal use, then the facsimile wrappers aren't so bad, but it's awkward if you intend to sell them later and have to price them accordingly. I've never needed to buy books on eBay with copy wrappers personally. I've usually managed to find decent copies of books with wrappers, or else I settle for no wrapper on rare occasions (like my copy of The Secret of Moon Castle - which is devilishly hard to find in a wrapper for under £80!).

The other day I bought two Adventure books - Castle and Sea, from 1956 and 1955 - both had near-perfect original wrappers, and they cost me £4 for the two!
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Rob Houghton wrote: The other day I bought two Adventure books - Castle and Sea, from 1956 and 1955 - both had near-perfect original wrappers, and they cost me £4 for the two!
Ooh, if only I'd noticed those, you'd've had some competition... :twisted:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I was amazed no one noticed them! They were a bid item - and I bid the asking price of £4.00 - plus £2.80 postage. I was sure I'd be outbid, but no one even challenged me! :-)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I've never bought a book with a facsimile wrapper because the two I've seen "in the flesh" were awful. Both were printed on poor quality paper and the colours were dull. I've got nothing against them but I do believe that anyone selling a book with a facsimile wrapper states this as part of the description.
Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

The photocopied wrapper looks gorgeous, Tony. I might well print wrappers for myself, now!

Society Member
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

This eBay seller does lovely copy wrappers:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Enid-Blyton-C ... YT6jNenpSw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

She's in Australia but will post over here and if you buy five or more the price is reduced so they work out at at around £4.15 a copy. I had copy Famous Five wrappers from her, cost around £80 for a full set plus postage and they arrived in about 6 days. Their really nicely done, good colour and in a protective shiny plastic coating. I can get some pictures of mine if you want to see what their like :)
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I think if I was going to be paying for copied dustjackets I would want ones without scuffs, tears and missing bits! :shock:
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Yeah, me too. :x Also, although it happens all the time, I'm pretty sure there must be a breach of copyright involved in making copy dust jackets specifically for selling.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

They look good IceMaiden.Thank you.
There's one or two I would like to cover a few of my books.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

How do you cover "a few" books in only one or two dust jackets? :wink:
Society Member

Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I would never pay for copy covers. They make a book look nice but don't add to it value in any way. In fact they sort of lower a books value. People will buy a book without a copy cover on eBay for £6 but if you sell the same book with a copy cover they expect the cover to be as good as the original with no joins etc and they complain if it isn't printed well.

Copy covers should only be £1 each at the most and people selling them for above that are just the types who would sell you a Noddy jigsaw piece for 99p. Just my opinion, of course.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Fiona1986 wrote:I think if I was going to be paying for copied dustjackets I would want ones without scuffs, tears and missing bits! :shock:
This one looks genuine,but does unfortunately have minor damage:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIVE-RUN-AWAY ... Sw9r1WC5K8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member