To the children of Brexit

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

To the children of Brexit

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

The Nation has spoken in the EU referendum, and the grown-ups are now wondering what the heck happens next! :shock:

I'm wondering what the children are thinking. Not only those of the nation that may soon be formerly known as the United Kingdom, but also children of EU immigrants.

I'm thinking of putting some Enid quotes about character in the Ginger Pop Shop window, to give the kids some encouragement. Miss Graylings speech in Malory Towers of course, but can you suggest some others?

These are uncertain times, but a time when we do need to Keep Calm and Carry On. My feeling is that we dig deep and aspire to be the best people we can be, there can be a bright future - whatever the grown-ups do!

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Katharine

Re: To the children of Brexit

Post by Katharine »

I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I think it would be great if you could find one that suggests that adults don't necessarily do things out of selfishness, but out of experience/wisdom.

I've been very saddened by many comments I've read/heard about 'selfish adults ruining the future for the younger generation'. I've even seen it suggested that no-one over the age of 50 should have been allowed to vote. As I'm only a year short of that age I find it worrying that a 17 year old (that's who posted it) feels that I don't have a future, and that the next 20 - 30 years (hopefully more) that I have left to live aren't valid or worth anything. Admittedly my needs will different over the next 20 years ie, retirement age, pension, failing health, care home/downsizing, funeral, but I also have children of my own and hopefully grandchildren one day, so of course I care about the future - for ALL ages.

If you could find a quote that encourages youngsters to value every age group, even if they have different outlooks on life, that would be fantastic.

Plus of course, it needs to be remembered, that not all older voters voted OUT (I know an 84 and 97 year old who voted IN), and not all younger people voted IN either.
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Probably find a quote that says one shouldn't be selfish. Which I think a lot of the things I've heard recently show that the younger voter sounds rather selfish, unkind, and doesn't consider anyone only themselves!!!! :roll:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I don't know if it would fit, but the one from House at the Corner is popping into my mind. I can't remember the exact wording, but Aunt Grace says something like 'am I knocked down? Well then, I'll get up again'. I first read it as a child, and never forgot it. I've found it very helpful at times myself, both as a youngster and an 'oldie'. :wink:
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Katharine wrote: Plus of course, it needs to be remembered, that not all older voters voted OUT (I know an 84 and 97 year old who voted IN), and not all younger people voted IN either.
Very true. I admire the fact that Viv sounds like she's being deliberately non-partisan over this — the fact is, whichever way one voted and whatever anyone's personal feelings about the result, Britain is entering a period of uncertainty and one might say even outright turmoil. There's also been a terrible amount of divisiveness coming to the surface in this debate, with each side frankly doing an equally good job of painting "the other" as selfish, deluded, irrational, out of touch, fear-mongering, dangerous or just plain stupid. :( We could do with far less of that, for sure.

Here's a quote I can think of that's not specifically about looking to the future, but it's certainly good advice for overcoming us-and-them divisions and stereotypes (whether it's young versus old, native-born versus immigrant, lower class versus upper class, or whatever). It may not be quite what you're looking for, Viv, but I find it's a useful one to remember (and it undoes a few persistent stereotypes about Enid herself as well!):
"Well, perhaps it's just a case of us-folk and you-folk," said Julian. "There's a lot of that kind of feeling about these days, and it's so silly. We're all the same under the skin." (Five Have a Wonderful Time)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Those are all good quotes - and I can use them all!

More ideas welcome...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_aud ... s/36639582" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

"The best way to treat obstacles is to use them as stepping-stones. Laugh at them, tread on them, and let them lead you to something better." (Jimmy's mother to Jimmy in Mr. Galliano's Circus).

"I can't give chances! It is you who must give yourself chances! Just see that you take your chances, that's all! Only you can decide whether to be defeated or not." (Aunt Grace to Lizzie in House-at-the-Corner).
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Only you can decide whether to be defeated or not." (Aunt Grace to Lizzie in House-at-the-Corner).
That's a great one Anita. I shall definitely try and remember it in the future.
Society Member
Soenke Rahn

Post by Soenke Rahn »

The house hunting seems to begin soon: https://tools.wmflabs.org/pageviews/?pr ... blin|Paris, http://www.bild.de/geld/aktuelles/nach- ... .bild.html, http://hessenschau.de/politik/frankfurt ... g-100.html, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mainhattan In the moment Frankfurt owns 700.000 inhabitants. Suppose they must build a lot of international kindergartens in the next years there. Maybe a turn of an era, like the Victorian era. Maybe the Farage-ian era ..... Exciting and thrilling.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Hopefully NOT the Farage-ian era - nightmarish.

People do seem very keen to turn the EB forums into a political debating site at the moment, lol! :(
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Soenke Rahn

Post by Soenke Rahn »

Gallows humor. But it is not pure poltics. Things are changing good to see. TV und Internet is full of it. On the other hand I think also what Enid Blyton would had written down in such a world. Smugglers in her books are only persons how coming from the sea. Flensburg, the town I live lays on the border to Denmark with a ses-frontier and a frontier at the country. I suppose such countryside had changed also severall plots of her books. ;-) So also a world for new stories I suppose. ;-)
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I agree things are changing...but not always for the good. The last few days in UK there have been more and more racial problems. A friend of mine was talking to her Croatian mother (in Croatian on the phone, outside a shop in Birmingham) when a man came up and said to her 'why don't you go back to your own country, you c....!' :evil: Racist people of Britain are using Brexit as an excuse to spew their poison. I've heard of a few more similar incidences over the last few days. The racist of our society have jumped on the Brexit bandwagon, which is why I think there is worse to come, sadly.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Soenke Rahn

Post by Soenke Rahn »

Yes, racism is wicked and stupid and criminal. :-( I hope such stupidness will not have big support. -- But to the Farage-ian era. I suppose if such will come, it will after it a joke in history. I give the Brexit a maximum time of five years. After it England will be back in the EU and will support it and the EU and also the German industry will invest and will help establish a real industry in England again. The financial Industry will be away, but the centralisation to London will also be away. And we will have also a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_ ... _Community" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; etc. If the Brexit-experiment will work not, Germany will pay it ... But there will come a strange time in the next months. Today the speach of Cameron was aired in German TV. His first words and the laughing after it. Strange ....
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Hang on, hang on — this thread was started by Viv to ask for ideas for an inspirational window display for her Blyton-themed shop...
Viv of Ginger Pop wrote:The Nation has spoken in the EU referendum, and the grown-ups are now wondering what the heck happens next! :shock:

I'm wondering what the children are thinking. Not only those of the nation that may soon be formerly known as the United Kingdom, but also children of EU immigrants.

I'm thinking of putting some Enid quotes about character in the Ginger Pop Shop window, to give the kids some encouragement. Miss Graylings speech in Malory Towers of course, but can you suggest some others?

These are uncertain times, but a time when we do need to Keep Calm and Carry On. My feeling is that we dig deep and aspire to be the best people we can be, there can be a bright future - whatever the grown-ups do!

Viv
I don't think she was asking for anyone's comments for or against the referendum result itself — just for suggestions of Blyton quotes that will be inspiring and encouraging for young people facing an uncertain future. And hopefully for adults as well. :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I agree, Courtenay. But if I hear phrases like 'exciting times ahead' I'm afraid I will always respond! None of us know WHAT is ahead.

It's a pity Viv's post got hijacked and I apologise for my part in that.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member