Enid Blyton Caravan

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: Enid Blyton Caravan

Post by Courtenay »

I tell you, there's got to be a continuation novel plot here somewhere...
"Oh, what a dear little caravan!" exclaimed Bets, running her fingers in delight over the seat cushions with their gaily-coloured pictures of boys and girls from far-off lands.
"Gosh, your parents are generous, Fatty," said Pip, giving Fatty a friendly punch on the arm. "Fancy buying you a caravan of your own for your birthday! And do you really mean they've given you permission to go off on holidays in it, all on your own?"
"Ooh, really, Fatty?" Bets interrupted before Fatty could answer. "Oh, if only we could all have caravans like this — one for me and Daisy, and another for Pip and Larry — just think, we could all go off on a holiday together! We've never done that before. Why, we'd be just like the children in those stories we all love so — you know, Julian and Dick and Anne and George and their marvellous dog Timmy — with all the adventures they have..."
"Funny you should say that, little Bets," grinned Fatty with a hint of a swagger, pulling a crumpled brown envelope out of his pocket. "The man who sold Mother this caravan — a Mr. Baker of Greenford, near London — bought it himself from none other than Enid Blyton! Yes, the very lady who writes not only the Five's adventures, but ours as well, in her wonderful magazines. To think her own little caravan should have come to us! Look, here's the letter in her own writing to prove it — with her signature and everything!"

But all was not as it seemed. Before long, thanks to Bets' sharp eyes and Fatty's brains, it became clearer and clearer that the caravan had not belonged to the famous Miss Blyton. What's more, there were even stranger secrets hidden within it that would only gradually come to light. Why had the mysterious Mr. Baker lied about the caravan's previous owner? Why had he been so eager to get it off his hands? And why did Mr. Goon, the village bobby, suddenly seem so interested in it? One thing was certain — this was the queerest mystery ever for the Five Find-Outers and Dog...
(sorry, got a bit carried away there :mrgreen: )
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

Well what a great collection of views... from all these comments, something still niggles me, this caravan had been tucked away in a garage in Harrow and not used since 1974. Inside was all sorts of clues as to its last use IE camping pitch fee receipts, newspapers and magazines etc, all relating to 1974.
The receipt in question was found in the bottom of the only drawer in the caravan. To gain access to this drawer you would need to unfold the caravan...something which could not be done in the garage due to the height, but moving the van outside was not possible as one of the wheels was missing and had obviously been missing for years judging by the wheelstud condition. I had to winch it on it's hub to remove it from the garage.
Maybe it didn't loose its wheel until much later on but if they had taken it out the garage post 74, surely they would have removed the old rubbish??

So maybe the Bakers did fabricate the receipt, but was there such copying devices available in the 60s/70s???

All in all I think Tony has produced enough reasons as to it's authenticity, which has made up my mind to completely revamp the interior rather than restore whats already there.

I will continue to trace the makers of the caravan.

Many thanks to all.
Ps...love the story Courtenay
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

This is a very interesting thread, and I hope the 'mystery' can be solved.

I was just wondering if anyone has tried looking in a phone book or Kelly's directory for Penn to see if the company is listed there? If an address was found it might lead to more clues.
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Have you tried this facebook page for any info Frenchy?

https://www.facebook.com/propert.carava ... =page_info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And possibly you've already tried here:

http://www.caravantimes.co.uk/features/ ... 064-14-10/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

It's still a fascinating caravan, with a fascinating story behind it - and as yet unsolved. It would seem a shame not to restore the van, but I can understand why you would want to completely revamp it instead, Frenchy. Its quite disappointing that maybe the caravan didn't belong to Enid...but I feel that an even more intriguing story lurks beneath that receipt.

The main reason for this is that the letter writer states that 'she' will not be around to meet the buyer - to me, that proves that the seller was passing it off as belonging to Enid Blyton...but why? Just so they could get more money for it?

An interesting point about photocopies pre 1974. Even in the mid 1970's I only remember rather poor photocopies - certainly not of the quality seemingly used here...and yet I thoroughly believe that this is a forgery dating back to the days when Enid was still alive, rather than made up by a later seller...especially since the caravan wasn't sold to Frenchy on any pretext of it having belonged to Enid. That makes me think it must have been professionally reprinted, as who could produce such a good copy of headed note paper in the 1960's?

It would be really interesting to find out more about this, and I hope it doesn't just die a death!
Last edited by Rob Houghton on 29 Jul 2016, 19:11, edited 2 times in total.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Rob Houghton wrote:My mom and dad bought our current three bed-roomed house in 1960 for £2,500. It's now worth around £200,000 8)
This equals an inflation rate of about 8,14% per year ;-).
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

Hi Rob, if the caravan had been owned by Enid I would have got the seating covers repaired in a bid to hide the frayed edges on one of the cushions that a hungry mouse had grown fond of.
I would have renewed the stained curtains for a similer yellow in colour and replaced the one multi coloured curtain to match the rest.

When I say "revamp", I will now replace the seating cushions for thicker foam, my wife will make new covers and deep button them all.
New curtains will be made to compliment the covers. I will lay new retro style lino and re-coat all the interior walling with a suitable covering.
I also intend to spray the mottled unpainted alloy exterior in silver.
At the end of the day, I intend to use/show this rare trailer.

I have today studied the receipt with a powerful eyeglass after Tony's thoughts on the infilled writing between the date and the signature, I seems there is no differance in any way between the ink used on both the infill writing, or the date/signature.
I would say that the whole letter/receipt was writtern in one go, by one ink pen.....very strange.

If it wasn't for the main points Tony highlights ie: Imogen not recalling a caravan and stating it just wasn't their thing. The paper it's written on, not being of a normal type Enid used. The Blyton signature being used in such a non business sale etc, I would have suggested that maybe her illness was showing through with her hand writing style, but I have every faith in you EB experts and will just continue with the resto and trying to unfold the origins of this trailer.

Oddly enough, experts on folding caravans (yes there are experts on this subject!!) have stated that they have never seen another folding caravan like this before, and have never heard of The Foldi g Caravan Co. Was the chassis plate just wishfull thinking to a homebuilder of folding caravans??? Maybe this really was a one-off.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I hope you will let us see pictures once all your work is complete?

Even if there isn't any Enid Blyton connection, it's still a lovely item.

:D
Society Member
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

Katherine, of course I will, if that's what you want. It will feel wrong though as this is a forum for EB subjects, not caravan restorations...ha ha
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Frenchy, if you have time to read through some of the topics on here, you will see that we often talk about things not related to Enid Blyton. :)

Anyway, this started out as possibly being Enid Blyton related, and she did write Five Go Off in a Caravan, so there's a connection between her and caravans there. :lol:

Hopefully there are a few others on the forums who will also be interested in a few photos.
Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Yes,it's been a fascinating account Frenchy.Keep us in the loop.
Is your user name taken from any of Enid's books by the way?

Society Member
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

Thanks Katharine. No Pete, Frenchy has no Enid Blyton connections......
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Ah,I thought it was from one of The Find Outers Books.Cannot think of the one offhand - Eddie will know straight away!

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

There's The Mystery of the Secret Room, in which Fatty starts experimenting with disguises — his first one being young "Napoleon", otherwise referred to as "that Frenchy fellow"... :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Yes,thank you Courtenay,that's the book that actually uses the term 'Frenchy'.

I had thought it was The Mystery Of Holly Lane,but although there is a French 'character' in this story the term 'Frenchy' is never actually used.

Society Member