Enid Blyton Caravan

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Frenchy

Enid Blyton Caravan

Post by Frenchy »

Hi All. A few months back I purchased a very small folding Caravan from a seller that was clearing an estate of an elderly gent that had lived and died in Harrow, London.
Recently I have managed to unfold this odd contraption and was shocked to find it had not been used since 1974, and in-fact, not even unfolded since then, just stored folded down in a dry garage.
The folding trailer has a plate fitted to the body which states "The Folding Caravan Co, Penn, Buckinghamshire". chassis number 61/
I have tried to research this company but even with appeals to expert Folding Camper Forums, and local to Penn, Facebook groups, no-one has shed any light on the company and most oddly, have never seen another folding caravan like this, or heard of the Company.
Experts have dated the caravan to approximately mid 1950s, by ageing the fittings and lights, and material experts seem to think the family/children seating covers also date to the 50s.

My reason to contact this society is the fact that stored in one of the trailer drawers was a writing paper sized hand written receipt showing the sale of this folding camper in 1964. The headed receipt is Green Hedges, Penn Road, Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire and has the Enid Blyton signature printed at the top and signed at the bottom in ink by Enid Blyton.

Does anyone know if Enid Blyton purchased and owned a cute folding caravan, that was made in the very next village she lived in and if so, are there any photos of it.
I will try to upload some photos of this wonderful caravan to this forum.
Thank you all.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Re: Enid Blyton Caravan

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Oh please do try and post some photos. I'd love to see them. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

What an interesting and intriguing story! Thanks for sharing it! I hope someone can shed some light upon it. :-D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Thank you Frenchy.Extremely interesting.

I found this old article about a 1959 folding caravan.The world seemed so much different back then:
"..even a moron (mechanically speaking) can fix it up in a matter of minutes..."
http://www.britishpathe.com/video/foldi ... uery/WATER" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Most interesting, Frenchy. Thank you for bringing it to our attention. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

That's fascinating, Frenchy - thanks for including the photos. The caravan looks neat and cosy. Did Enid Blyton use it herself, or was it bought for a member of staff, or even for the grandchildren or other child visitors to play in? I've no idea, but it would be interesting to know more.

Great Pathé clip, Pete!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

Hi All, thanks for the replies. Sorry Anita, I have no idea whether Enid Blyton used this lovely caravan personally, or if she purchased it for her Grandchildren and, or young visitors, or even if she personally bought it at all. I'd like to think she did and would assume that as she personally sold it to a Mr Baker of Greenford, nr Harrow in 1964 for £100, she must have owned it.

I must say that the trailer plate shows a company from Penn, Bucks, that was almost with walking distance of where she lived. Here is a photo of the trailer plate.

As I said earlier, the caravan and the makers are proving to be a mystery amongst the caravan and folding camper world and suggestions are being submitted that it may be a one off special order in a time of the infancy of the folding caravan.
I have tried the root of joining local Facebook Groups from and around the Penn area and no-one has heard of "The Folding Caravan Co" from Penn, a very small village in Buckinghamshire.

Here is a close up of the wonderful material pattern that covers all the seating cushions.

I will scan and post the 1964 sales receipt that Enid personally signed when I get back to work, but may need some advise here, as this may be of importance and making it openly public might not be the right thing to do!!

I am hoping that if this quirky caravan was purchased and owned personally by Enid Blyton and that if it was purchased in the mid 50s and owed for nine years before selling on, within those nine years, photographic records or the Blyton family and friends can prove its authenticity.

Regardless of the outcome, I intend to restore the Caravan back to all its 50s glory, not that its that bad at all.
I will say that sitting inside it, looking out of the clear glass windows or just glancing at all its aged interior features....it has a nice relaxing feel about it, a feel that I just can't explain in words.

Many thanks all.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

It looks wonderful, and the seats look in extremely good condition! I'm sure it will look amazing when you have restored it to its former glory!

I find this such an interesting story, and look forward to hearing whatever you may find out about it! I would also love to see the receipt, of course, if you decide to post it here. 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

Hi Rob, I have no problem posting a copy of the receipt but would like some advise from someone first. I am told that placing any sort of document to the www can have ownership rights if trademarks are involved, and of course, this does.
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Thanks, Frenchy, this is most interesting. I hope that you can uncover more of the connection to Enid. Good luck with the restoration.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Frenchy wrote:Sorry Anita, I have no idea whether Enid Blyton used this lovely caravan personally, or if she purchased it for her Grandchildren and, or young visitors, or even if she personally bought it at all. I'd like to think she did and would assume that as she personally sold it to a Mr Baker of Greenford, nr Harrow in 1964 for £100, she must have owned it.
Don't worry - I wasn't expecting any answers, or certainly not immediately! It's an intriguing item and I was just throwing out a few thoughts!
Frenchy wrote:I will say that sitting inside it, looking out of the clear glass windows or just glancing at all its aged interior features....it has a nice relaxing feel about it, a feel that I just can't explain in words.
I can just imagine that. It's a beautiful thing to have.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

After approx 2 months from my first post of this caravan, I have been advised that sharing this receipt will not be a problem.