Good Company!

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: Good Company!

Post by Rob Houghton »

Personally I identified with the Find Others and Secret Seven much more easily, just as I identified with Jimmy from Mr Galliano's Circus - because they were kids who seemed to live in similar circumstances to me - in a normal house in a normal street (at least, more 'normal' than the Famous Five, who were obviously posh kids who lived in the country and owned castles and islands! I could identify with the Secret Seven or Find Oiyters because they lived in what I interpreted as being a slightly more familiar setting. :-)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

My favourite was Snubby from the Barney books. I was a lot like Snubby when I was younger, tiresome, exasperating and mischievous according to my mother. Erika thinks I still am! I never took to George in the Famous Five and her childish refusal to be recognised as a girl.
Society Member
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

The person I really identified myself when I read Enid Blyton books Elizabeth Allen, and Darrell, both in boarding schools. I felt I was similar to them, kind- hearted, hot-tempered, intelligent, and sporty.
Although, I have to say that I have spend all my childhood up till about a year or two, imitating George Kirrin, in every possible way. :lol: (I didn't cut my hair, though). I find this behaviour strange in my case. But, those are probably also my favourite characters. Everything has a reason, I suppose. :D :D
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

John Pickup wrote:My favourite was Snubby from the Barney books. I was a lot like Snubby when I was younger, tiresome, exasperating and mischievous according to my mother. Erika thinks I still am! I never took to George in the Famous Five and her childish refusal to be recognised as a girl.
I think Snubby is definitely my favourite character also. He reminds me in some ways of Fatty, but Snubby is less stuck-up and self-opinionated and also of course not so clever and, as you say, more exasperating, mischievous and tiresome - but also very likeable! 8)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Rob Houghton wrote:Personally I identified with the Find Others and Secret Seven much more easily, just as I identified with Jimmy from Mr Galliano's Circus - because they were kids who seemed to live in similar circumstances to me - in a normal house in a normal street (at least, more 'normal' than the Famous Five, who were obviously posh kids who lived in the country and owned castles and islands! I could identify with the Secret Seven or Find Oiyters because they lived in what I interpreted as being a slightly more familiar setting. :-)
I loved it when circumstances and settings in the books chimed with my real-life circumstances and settings - e.g. the Secret Seven meeting in their shed just as my sister and I did with our friends, the Five making holes on the beach like my sister and I used to do (we lived near the sea), and the Carltons in Those Dreadful Children standing on a garden-roller to talk to children in a neighbouring garden - again, something we did too.

Having said that, I didn't identify to any great extent with any of the Secret Seven, the Famous Five or the Carltons. What really mattered to me was personality, and I found myself identifying with people like Elizabeth Allen, Jack Trent and Fatty. I didn't attend boarding school, go off in boats and planes to exotic locations or have masses of pocket money to spend in wig-shops and tea-shops - but I related to certain aspects of their characters which drew me to them and made me aspire to be like them.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Of course - I was speaking very generally - and there were plenty of 'posh' characters I identified with too - especially the Carltons - even though I wasn't quite so sheltered and 'stuck-up' as a kid, I did have a family living next door (I played with their daughter Dawn) who were less well-off and had a 'colourful' lifestyle compared to my sister and me. I also identified with digging on the beach, going on bike rides, having picnics, dressing up and having a circus camp in our local playing-fields!

Even though I'd never been in a rowing boat as a child, or gone away on my own, or even been on a long train journey, I could still identify with characters who had, because as you say there were always aspects of their character which fitted in with things I had personally experienced.

It was always a big disappointment that we didn't have a shed to hold meetings in - but we did have a tree-house instead! :D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member