Book Fairs

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Katharine

Book Fairs

Post by Katharine »

When I visited The Haunted Bookshop last month, I was given a ticket for a book fair in Cambridge last month. Has anyone ever been to one in Cambridge, and if so, would they recommend it?

I've never been to any book fair, but I know a number of forumites attend them. Any tips they can pass on? Are they only for the really serious, (rich) collectors, or can reasonable copies of Blytons (and other children's books) be had for the more modest pocket?

Are they similar to the books on offer at the Enid Blyton days? Which I found a mixture of rare and expensive - strictly 'look but don't touch' to the 'bargains galore'.
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: Book Fairs

Post by Rob Houghton »

I've been to a few book fairs in Stratford-on-Avon -- and although there weren't masses of EB books there, it all depends who's selling and what books they bring! I did buy a couple of Barney Mysteries from the Stratford book fair once - not first editions but extremely good condition late 1950's editions with very good wrappers for £6 each. 8) I also bought a very good copy of 'Mischief at St Rollo's with a very good dust wrapper.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I've been to York book fair today and prices vary enormously depending on condition and the edition of the book. There were lots of Famous Five's today (hardback reprints) for £8 to £15. I suppose that, in the main, book fairs tend to cater for serious collectors but I've never been disappointed and nearly always find something to suit my budget.
I never pay the price marked in the book, I always barter a few pounds off and it's very rare the dealer doesn't comply. I've been to fairs at Lincoln, Stamford, Buxton, Harrogate, Ilkley, Southwell and York and there has always been a reasonable selection of books to suit all collectors. I love browsing through children's books anyway so even if I don't buy anything, I still enjoy the day out.
If you've never been to a fair, Katharine, I would recommend you go. I'm sure you would enjoy it.
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

the one thing that puts me off book fairs is the bartering - I'm not a barterer - so I tend to miss out on the good deals!

Hopefully one time you might find me a dust wrapper copy of Banshee Towers, John - as I'd be very happy to pay whatever price you managed to haggle for it! (up to about £20). :-)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I was going to suggest to Katharine that you wouldn't get too many bargains at a PBFA Book Fair, but I guess John has been to one today! Local book fairs can be good and I have picked up all sorts of things there. Sarah Key is a PBFA member so I think the Cambridge fair would be that, but at smaller fairs a visit is well worthwhile.
John Pickup

Post by John Pickup »

The Cambridge fair is a PBFA one as was todays at York. Sarah Key was there today. I agree with Tony that the smaller fairs which I go to such as Buxton usually have the better bargains than the bigger ones which tend to cater for the more serious collector.
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I've been to the Buxton Book Fair over in the Pavillions, and it was fabulous. Heaps of stalls and heaps of books, and some good prices for the Blyton books too. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Interesting comments. I don't think I'll make a special trip to the Cambridge book fair. I've heard of some in Long Melford over the summer, maybe they are more suitable for me at the moment.
Society Member
John Pickup

Post by John Pickup »

If you go to a fair, Katharine, you must let us know your thoughts.
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Yes, I will do John, although I think perhaps I'd better avoid book fairs for a little while.

Yesterday a trip to the local Oxfam bookshop saw me leaving with two new additions to my 'library'. Today I thought I'd better have a bit of a tidy up, and found several more books I'd forgotten I bought last year. Apart from the fact that I've not read any of them yet, I'm running out of corners to store them in. :cry:
Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Sadly, I'm also trying to avoid book fairs and anywhere else that sells books (for a little while at least). Like you Katharine, I'm running out of storage corners. Since Christmas, Chick and I have sorted out all our 'unwanted' books and last week we filled 16 charity bags with them and donated them to various deserving shops in our local area. Giving away so many books proved to be quite a wrench, but at least it gives us a bit more room to move around in our small bungalow and it's quite nice to feel that the books are going to be sold and the proceeds going to worthwhile causes. Needless to say, we didn't get rid of any of our Enid Blytons!
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

We created a "one in, one out" rule some time ago, can only conclude rules are made to be broken :wink: - discovered a couple of places online to sell off old textbooks, the odd mistake and various past enthusiasms, they paid quite good prices, books being the weight they are it was useful both companies had a collection service from our local newsagent; as discussed previously we don't "do" charity shops having discovered most books donated end up in the recycling bin :(
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I don't think I saw the discussion about charity shop books being recycled. Can anyone point me in the direction of that post please?
Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

The books I donated to the charity shops in my local area were all good quality books in excellent condition and they certainly won't end up in recycling bins. It is only books in very poor condition and too tatty to be resold that end up being recycled and definitely not 'most' donated books.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Katharine, I think this is the discussion you're looking for:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/foru ... in#p224379" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member