Secret Seven Fan Club

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: Secret Seven Fan Club Website

Post by pete9012S »

Here's a new quiz from a different book:

" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Susan Webster

Post by Susan Webster »

hi not been on for for a while so have i missed much , theres a new secret seven book coming out soon called secret seven --the mystery of the skull. look out for it . i`m going to order it from waterstones.
does any member wear their SS badge . i do , and my FFC badge at times and they are on my coat now , would be great to wear the SSbadge as we could bump into each other. my university course has not worked out so withdrew and its sad . i have nothing much to do now but i have been out and about with my I-SPY books and started going off erxploring . might even find a mystery! anyone else used to do I-SPY. its great fun ,
any SS members live near walsall . if so maybe we could meet up.
i was at slimbridge recently and got to feed the swans ducks and geese. great fun!
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Mystery-Skul ... +the+skull" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting!
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

From Amazon: "It's time to look behind the green door of the Secret Seven's shed again..."

Makes it sound like this... :shock: :wink: :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Susan Webster wrote:hi not been on for for a while so have i missed much , theres a new secret seven book coming out soon called secret seven --the mystery of the skull. look out for it . i`m going to order it from waterstones.
does any member wear their SS badge . i do , and my FFC badge at times and they are on my coat now , would be great to wear the SSbadge as we could bump into each other. my university course has not worked out so withdrew and its sad . i have nothing much to do now but i have been out and about with my I-SPY books and started going off erxploring . might even find a mystery! anyone else used to do I-SPY. its great fun ,
any SS members live near walsall . if so maybe we could meet up.
i was at slimbridge recently and got to feed the swans ducks and geese. great fun!
Thanks for the heads up on the Secret Seven book Sue - I hadn't heard about that one. I will check it out.
Slimebridge sounds lovely. I've never been there.
I can only think of Rob who may live near Walsall? But again my geography may be way out??

Regards

Pete

Society Member
Susan Webster

Post by Susan Webster »

hi, the info on the book came on my EB newsletter but dont know the author .maybe Rob will get in touch if he`s near walsall .
Society Member
Susan Webster

Post by Susan Webster »

hi , any mysteries about , i`m bored stuck indoors cos of the snow with no one to see or talk to . just watching mary queen of scots on telly
there was a murder up the road from me the other day in doveridge place. an old lady was stabbed . i saw the police van and a car as i went past in sandwell street . it was on the news on telly . thats all i know.
what have SS members been doing and coping with the snow .
Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Sounds like it's all happening by you Sue!

While you're stuck inside Sue, why don't you tell us what your favourite three Enid Blyton books are and why - also what three Enid Blyton Books do you least like and again tell us why.

We could all play this little game together and compare notes whilst the the weather is so inclement.

Regards

Pete

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Hi Sue, I've been trying to make the most of being indoors by catching up on some housework. Never my favourite task, but it's preferable to having to go outside at the moment. I've mostly been going through a pile of paperwork that has accumulated, and working out what can be binned, and then filing away what needs to be kept. It's a task I've been putting off for ages, and the longer it got left, the worse it became, so rather than trying to tackle it all in one go and getting disheartened, I've just grabbed a handful each day and made myself finish that small amount. I've found that approach is working much better, and I'm pleased with how much I've got done.

This morning I made a family member a birthday cake, which my daughter will decorate when she gets home from school and then we'll deliver it later along with cards and presents.

I've also had to defrost an outside pipe which was causing a leak indoors - seems to have worked.

I'm also looking forward to the temperature getting above 0 C tomorrow and for some rain to come and melt away the snow and ice. :D
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Hope you will share your three favourite (and least-liked) Enid Blyton books, Sue. I'll share mine too when I've had a think.

How did you thaw the outside pipe, Katharine? My kitchen floor flooded a few days ago because the outside pipe into which the washing-machine drains was frozen (and still is). I thought of trying to thaw the pipe but I wasn't sure how successful I'd be, especially as it goes underground after a short distance, so for the last four days I've been putting the end of the flexible draining hose into a bucket while the washing-machine is on (the hose won't reach the sink). It's a nuisance as it means I have to keep an eye on the washing-machine, because the bucket has to be emptied quite regularly or it overflows!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Susan Webster

Post by Susan Webster »

hi , snowing a blizzard here now! my 3 fave enid blyton books are ; 1,five on finniston farm as its so funny and gripping , 2, the o`sullivan twins ---school story about the twins who want to go to a posh school with their friends but the parents send them to st clares where they are known as the stuck up twins , by the end of the book they have settled in to the school are friends with the other classmates etc , they have changed for the better, 3the secret seven short story colection--6 short stories, all good mysteries! 4i like the mallory towers books too and the last one is goodbuy mallory towers when darrell leaves the school as head girl and how she influences snobby gwendoline to be a better person. the other book i like is adventures with george and timmy ---before she meets her cousins and realises that being on her own isnt all good .
i dont think i have any books i like the least as i like all my books from the famous five to the find outers and dog books! blimey the snow is coming down now !what about your choices? sue. ps a chap was arrested last night for that murder of the pensioner .
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I've enjoyed reading about your favourite books, Sue. I like the St. Clare's and Malory Towers series too as they introduce us to a wide range of interesting characters.

Although many of Enid Blyton's books are special to me, whenever I attempt to pick out my absolute favourites I always find my thoughts turning to the Adventure series and the family stories. I'm glad you named more than three books, Sue, as I've only managed to whittle my list down to four titles - The Valley of Adventure, The Sea of Adventure, Six Cousins Again and The Six Bad Boys! The Valley of Adventure and The Sea of Adventure are set in stunning locations and combine dreaminess and wistfulness with truly thrilling happenings. They make me long for adventure. Both books have haunted me ever since I first read them at the age of nine. Six Cousins Again and The Six Bad Boys revolve around families with problems and I'm gripped by the drama, the psychology and the mature writing style.

The books I like least are probably Fun for the Secret Seven, Five Have a Mystery to Solve and The Hidey-Hole. I find the plots of those three stories lamentably thin, rambling and confusing. However, they were all written towards the end of Enid Blyton's writing career when she was suffering from dementia, so it isn't surprising that they're not up to her usual standard.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

the o`sullivan twins
That's a great list Sue - thank you. I've never read the O'Sullivan Twins book so I will try that one out asap!

My fave three books - at the moment are:

1. Five On A Treasure Island.
It's got everything. Fantastic characters,excitement,danger,tension,suspense and a wonderful ending too!

2. The Mystery Of Tally-Ho Cottage.
I just love Fatty, Ern, Goon and little Bets in this one. Fatty is my all time hero and when he dresses up as Larkin and bumps into 'Larkin' who was somebody else in disguise and then Goon stumbles upon them I creased myself with laughter.

Fatty disguised as Larkin on the swings in the park watched by a dumbstruck Goon is just absolutely priceless writing that had me exploding with mirth.

Going to take a little time to pick book three - there are a few contenders popping up into my mind already though!

Society Member
Susan Webster

Post by Susan Webster »

hi anita , good list i read six cousins last sat on my way home from south wales and it was good .
pete , i like five on treasure island too especially the bit where george smashes up the crooks motorboat !
Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

I had forgotten about that Sue!

I remember reading that account for the very first time.
I was amazed at this new found character who was capable of so much sweetness,kindness and honesty, but who also possessed an enormous amount of courage,ferocity and courage when required too!

Society Member