Famous Five Club

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Re: Famous Five Club

Post by Daisy »

sixret wrote:Diam is silent.
:?: :?: but Bo isn't? :?
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

I would rather not to let you know the meaning because it is a bad word really, Daisy.
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Diam also means live.

Cuckatoo= Kakak tua(=old sister).
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Daisy wrote:It reminds me a bit of Malory Towers, John. I've been there a couple of times recently.
Yes the towers at the corners do look quite like MT in the illustrations. The countryside around the castle is quite lovely too.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Lucky Star wrote:I went to Bodiam Castle in East Sussex today. It's a ruined medievel castle which is really famous and photogenic. It was a lovely day so I had a very nice time clambering around the ruins. :D
I'm glad you enjoyed your visit to Bodiam Castle, John. I first went there as a pupil on a school trip with my grammar school in 1957. In more recent times I have taken my own classes of school children to this lovely castle. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
timv

Post by timv »

I have been to Bodiam Castle several times, including a school trip there from my grammar school in Sussex in probably 1972.I also passed it frequently en route to and from Rye, which is about ten miles down the River Rother. It's possible Enid might have been there if she did visit Rye, as it has been a popular excursion destination for holidaymakers for decades. Its four towers, one at each corner of the main courtyard, is a bit reminiscent of Faynights Castle.
It hasn't appeared a lot on film or TV which is surprising as it's so well-preserved, but it did appear in an episode of the BBC comedy series 'The Goodies' in around 1973, as a medieval castle owned by Tim Brooke-Taylor's character's mad uncle. The same series saw the Goodies in Swanage filming adjacent to Enid's 1940s holiday destination of the Grosvenor Hotel, on the lifeboat house slipway.
Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

I think you've just inspired me to visit Bodiam Castle, timv! I've never been, although it's been on my radar for a number of years! Interesting to know of the Goodies filming at Swanage, which I didn't know about. :D
Gary Russell
Favourite book/series: FF
Favourite character: well duh...

Post by Gary Russell »

timv wrote:I have been to Bodiam Castle several times, including a school trip there from my grammar school in Sussex in probably 1972.I also passed it frequently en route to and from Rye, which is about ten miles down the River Rother. It's possible Enid might have been there if she did visit Rye, as it has been a popular excursion destination for holidaymakers for decades. Its four towers, one at each corner of the main courtyard, is a bit reminiscent of Faynights Castle.
It hasn't appeared a lot on film or TV which is surprising as it's so well-preserved, but it did appear in an episode of the BBC comedy series 'The Goodies' in around 1973, as a medieval castle owned by Tim Brooke-Taylor's character's mad uncle. The same series saw the Goodies in Swanage filming adjacent to Enid's 1940s holiday destination of the Grosvenor Hotel, on the lifeboat house slipway.
Also a Doctor Who story from the Eighties called "The King's Demons" was made on location there
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

timv wrote:It hasn't appeared a lot on film or TV which is surprising as it's so well-preserved, but it did appear in an episode of the BBC comedy series 'The Goodies' in around 1973, as a medieval castle owned by Tim Brooke-Taylor's character's mad uncle. The same series saw the Goodies in Swanage filming adjacent to Enid's 1940s holiday destination of the Grosvenor Hotel, on the lifeboat house slipway.
Keeping off topic for a mo.....
Talking of Swanage tv locations, my fanatical Dr Who friend has persuaded me to accompany him on his quest to visit Dr Who filming locations! He put me on to a web page for Winspit quarry in Dorset, which was used in several episodes. I know this area very well, so he's dragging me along as a guide. The things I volunteer for! :roll:

http://www.doctorwholocations.net/locat ... spitquarry" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Susan Webster wrote:hi , can someone change my SS avatar back to the famous five badge i once had . i dont know how to do it . thanks very much sue
Only Anita or Tony can do this, Sue.
Society Member
Susan Webster

Post by Susan Webster »

hi Anita , could you change my SS avatar back to the famous five club one i had
i have just rejoined the society and got the latest enid blyton journal but i dont know the passwrd to log into nthe site do you know it cheers sue
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I'm very busy for the next eight days or so, Sue, but remind me after that and I'll change your avatar for you!

Will send you the password in a PM right now.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Can you name the nine Five books correctly? There is a clue. One book matches the description at the bottom of the page...

THE FIVE FRIENDS LOVE ME
BLYTON ENID

The Five are back together in Kirrin Coetze.
Because George's mother is sick, the children are under the care of Mrs. Steck who has a disliking son and her husband is a navy.
To escape the Sticks, the children are hiding on Kirk Island.
But they do not escape easily. Stats on the island also appear. Signs from the boat and other strange movements make children suspect smuggling. A childish cry, however, changes everything. (From the presentation on the back of the book)
1.2.3.?

4.5.6.?

7.8.9.?
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Hmmm! These are Greek, obviously — "Oi Pente Philoi" indeed means "The Five Friends" (just like the German translation). Funny how they never seem to be "Famous" in any other language! :wink:

4 (with the yellow cover) has to be Five on a Treasure Island. Apart from the cover illustration looking like a modern version of the ones we're all familiar with, I can read enough Greek to make out "Nési tōn Thésaurōn" — "The Treasure Island". (Our word "thesaurus" comes from the Greek word for treasure!)

I would also say 3 should be Five on Kirrin Island Again, since I can read "pali sto nési tou Kirrin" on that cover.

"Pali" means "again" and is also on cover 2 — "pali se peripeteia". I'd already guessed from the illustration, with the square hole in the floor, that it should be Five Go Adventuring Again. "Peripeteia" is literally "walking around" — where we get our word "peripatetic" for someone who does just that — so I assume it can also imply going on an adventure.

That's as much as I can figure out so far, but looks like three semesters of NT Greek at uni paid off after all! :mrgreen: :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

The Greek is all Greek to me! However, number 7 (light brown cover) seems to show Wooden-Leg Sam and a piece of railway track so I'm guessing it's Five Go Off to Camp.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member