Bill's Diary

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: Bill's Diary

Post by Courtenay »

Oh, I wouldn't have posted it if I had found the real person anywhere online, don't worry! :lol:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
tix

Post by tix »

On December 2nd, 2014 'Wolfgang' wrote that the subject under discussion could not have taken place in a specified area because of the Warsaw Treaty.

I couldn't quite understand this statement, or the reference to spies.

The word 'spies' appears only twice in the report Enid Blyton gave us of an extremely adventurous incident undergone by the Mannerings and they both relate to the children's assessment of their friend (now 'father') Detective Bill Cunningham.

Admittedly in the past Madame Tatiosa, who is one of the key persons involved, 'had' been an infiltrator but this has nothing to do with the affair in question because it's not about spies.

As for the 'Warsaw Treaty.' This came into being almost twenty years after the thrilling account was made public. The organization itself originated from the Warsaw Pact (formerly some kind of economic plan) which, scholars tell me, was formed a few years after Tauri-Hessia had disappeared from the map.

Perhaps the material in Wolfgang's possession, pertaining to such an important and historic occurrence, could be elaborated upon.
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

sixret wrote:From what I remember reading the book when I was 15, the description is more like Greece, Romania or Bulgaria. Where Roma people or Gypsies come from. :D
Gypsies also come from Hungary.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Thank you, Chrissie. :D
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

tix wrote:On December 2nd, 2014 'Wolfgang' wrote that the subject under discussion could not have taken place in a specified area because of the Warsaw Treaty.

I couldn't quite understand this statement, or the reference to spies.

The word 'spies' appears only twice in the report Enid Blyton gave us of an extremely adventurous incident undergone by the Mannerings and they both relate to the children's assessment of their friend (now 'father') Detective Bill Cunningham.

Admittedly in the past Madame Tatiosa, who is one of the key persons involved, 'had' been an infiltrator but this has nothing to do with the affair in question because it's not about spies.

As for the 'Warsaw Treaty.' This came into being almost twenty years after the thrilling account was made public. The organization itself originated from the Warsaw Pact (formerly some kind of economic plan) which, scholars tell me, was formed a few years after Tauri-Hessia had disappeared from the map.

Perhaps the material in Wolfgang's possession, pertaining to such an important and historic occurrence, could be elaborated upon.
To clarify things, yes, I was referring to to Warsaw Pact which was signed in 1955 - prior to that the USSR were already controlling more or less the countries that joined the Pact. They were no kingdoms any longer (e.g. Bulgaria, Yugoslavia, Hungary) when the war was over. The control was so tight that in 1948 Czechoslovakia wasn't allowed to make use of the Marshall-Plan.
Greece still was a kingdom after the war, but there were riots initiated by communists who wanted the USSR to control the country as well.
I was refering to Bill Cunningham as a spy. I consider it highly unlikely that any spy would have had any chance of getting into a country controlled by the USSR to rescue a political prisoner within several days without preparation and establish him again as a ruler.
If you look at Greek dresses, they seem to resemble the descriptions Enid Blyton used.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
tix

Post by tix »

Wolfgang, thank you for the clarification.

Blytonites know of course that Tauri-Hessia was a 'principality.' Located in a small corner of the host country it had obviously been blessed with a little leeway, as is often the case when things are happening all at once and affairs of state are still being sorted out.

It might surprise us if we were privy to the actual number of spies that were, or are, operating in a country at any particular time, not that the detective himself is one. He was employed by the British Police and although some affiliated work can be spy orientated, such tasks are usually left to the SIS and similar departments.

At consulate level the Tauri-Hessian friendly countries, particularly Britain and France, "have their little ways" and the depositing of personnel into foreign lands is well thought out. The country in question was still autonomous and I think the powers-that-be would have preferred the King himself to be in charge rather than letting it fall into the hands of knowingly ruthless individuals, one of whom had been outed as a spy in a previous incarnation.

Costumes can appear quite similar in the warmer countries - those little embroidered jackets are popular and the citizens are well into decorating their clobber with plenty of ornate and colourful patterns.
Sally
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series, Barney Rs and Find-Outers
Favourite character: Barney, Philip Mannering, Fatty and Bill Smugs

Post by Sally »

I am sure most of you are aware that Tix is Terry, the writer himself of Bill's Diary, and he is surely whetting our appetite here! The key point is that Tauri-Hessia, at the time of Blyton's writing, was still a principality with a monarchy and had therefore resisted a Russian communist takeover to date, and therefore Bill wouldn't have been invading Russian territory. Western Governments would were very keen to stem the tide of communist infiltration in the early 50's and working for the British Government in intelligence as Bill was (MI5?) it would seem to fit with his responsibilities to be involved in protecting the Prince and ultimately going out to rescue him and the children.
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Perhaps we are getting a bit too involved in this thread as the country of Tauri-Hessia was actually located in Enid's imagination and the only political situation that is relevant is in the country itself and that also comes from her imagination!
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I was beginning to think something like that myself, Tony! :lol: But it is interesting to speculate what kinds of countries and political situations in the real world might have given her some of the ideas she used.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Me too! I was beginning to think that Circus was based on a real story! As for speculating, I'll leave that to the rest of you. I will just lie back and enjoy the story. :D
Society Member
tix

Post by tix »

The only proof I have of J.C's existence is that I read about it in a book!
Dinah Cunningham
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series and the Famous Five
Favourite character: Everyone of the Adventure Series, George, Timmy

Post by Dinah Cunningham »

For everyone interested: The new Diary is up. It's quite long and I'm looking forward reading it in about 1 hour and half (I first need to finish work and be in the train home...)
Bill: "I don't know what to say. You're only kids — but you're the finest company of friends anyone could have. You know the meaning of loyalty already, and even if you're scared you don't give up. I'm proud to have you for my friends."
Sally
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series, Barney Rs and Find-Outers
Favourite character: Barney, Philip Mannering, Fatty and Bill Smugs

Post by Sally »

I finished reading Terry's latest Bill's Diary based on Circus last night. Worth a read, everyone, and always a huge amount of work by Terry and close to the story itself, from Bill's perspective. Interesting that he is now getting completely blasé about the children disappearing (as is Allie) and they don't seem to be concerned the children could be held as hostages. Enjoy.
Sally H

Post by Sally H »

I have it on good authority that the final instalment of Bill's Diary, set on the borders of Syria, may be with us within a couple of months. I understand the final touches are being added with appropriate notes and a summing up, given this will sadly be the last one. I and others have suggested to Terry he considers continuing with the Diaries by possibly fast-forwarding a few years when we can find out what actually happened to our Adventurous friends. Somehow, I feel that a revisit to some of the destinations where the Mannerings and Trents had such adventures might result in more......I am sure with enough encouragement, Terry could be persuaded to extend the series in some way. Any other ideas how he might do this?
Sally H

Bill's Diary - River of Adventure

Post by Sally H »

Merged with an older thread.

I understand that Terry's final diary entry featuring Bill's gang in Syria is now complete and may be in the Cave in the coming weeks. Any chance of this happening before Christmas, Tony? There is not a lot of time left, I know, but it would provide some excellent Christmas reading.