Blyton Locations

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
DavidP

Blyton Locations

Post by DavidP »

Are there any Blyton Locations that any forum members would suggest visiting?

I did notice that someone had posted about Bourne-End possibly being the place that Peterswood was based on so I am taking my partner there for a look around :-)

Are there any other places that would fit the bill? A Blyton shop would be nice!

Many thanks
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: Blyton Locations

Post by Lucky Star »

The Ginger Pop shops in Corfe Castle and Poole quay are the only two Blyton shops that I know of. Both are in Dorset and a re very well worth a visit at some point.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
7upromana01
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George, Julian, Anne, Timmy

Post by 7upromana01 »

Cornwall may be good. By the way that is where Malory Towers is set.
Abi.

Still trialling other writers, but will eventually go back to reading a bit of Blyton! Just too many books...

Occasionally will pop in! xx
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Although the illustration of Malory Towers is based on Lulworth Castle, again in Dorset.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

DavidP wrote:I did notice that someone had posted about Bourne-End possibly being the place that Peterswood was based on so I am taking my partner there for a look around :-)
The garden of the house where Enid Blyton used to live in Bourne End (Old Thatch) is open to the public on certain days, and drinks and cakes are served. Well worth a visit if you get the chance:

http://www.oldthatchgardens.co.uk/finding.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
DavidP

Post by DavidP »

Many thanks everyone for all the suggestions! Will certainly look at going to the Blyton Shop in Dorset! :mrgreen:
poddys
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick

Post by poddys »

Lucky Star wrote:The Ginger Pop shops in Corfe Castle and Poole quay are the only two Blyton shops that I know of. Both are in Dorset and a re very well worth a visit at some point.
I definitely recommend both of Viv's Enid Blyton shops.

The Eileen Soper's Illustrated Worlds shop on Poole Quay is a lot of fun to visit and takes you back in time. It's also right next to Poole Pottery, and there are other museums and plenty of places to see and eat on the Quay.

The shop in the village of Corfe Castle is a lot smaller, but also very interesting. You could spend days exploring the ruins of Corfe Castle and the Purbeck Hills, including Studland, Swanage, Brownsea Island, Lulworth Cove etc.

Come to Poole and The Purbecks for a week's holiday, visit both shops, and see why Dorset is acclaimed as one of Britain's most spectacular counties.
I went on some great adventures reading the Famous Five books.
Enid Blyton Creator of The Famous Five
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

And Polseath as mentioned in Five on a Treasure Island - is that supposed to be Polzeath? It's Cornwall so naturally beautiful by default - BUT I've always had a personal issue with Polzeath ever since I was 15 when I lost my glasses in the sea, and was left visually impaired for the rest of my holiday! :x
sayantani

Post by sayantani »

Interesting that no one mentions Somerset.Some of the Barney series have references to Lillingham in Somerset(I think it was Ring O Bells).
I have often thought about whether Enid was imagining other parts of England too in her books as she wrote.Think the hills in Five go off in A Caravan, which we are told are at quite a distance.
Also, Scotland featured very much in the Adventurous Four and some books of the Bill Smugs series, as did Wales in the Barney books and the FF.
What about the whirlpool in Rubadub?Was it in Cornwall?
Ice_Gemz
Favourite book/series: The Folk of The Faraway Tree

Post by Ice_Gemz »

Hi all, does anyone know of any Blyton-related locations more towards the east of England? I live in Essex (no rude jokes please!) so Corfe, Berskshire et al are a bit of a drive!
Did Enid ever visit the east of England?
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Ice_Gemz wrote: I live in Essex (no rude jokes please!)
I doubt our Anita would allow any such jokes about Essex!
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Certainly not! If anyone makes any I'll jab them with my diamond-studded false nails - or my stilettos! :wink:

I'm afraid I don't know of any Blyton connections with Essex, though Enid Blyton did her teacher-training at Ipswich High School, Suffolk, and she also used to stay with the Hunt family at Seckford Hall near Woodbridge, Suffolk.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:I'll jab them with my diamond-studded false nails - or my stilettos!
Better be careful, white stilettos stain rather easily, wouldn't want blood all over them! ;)
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I live in Ipswich, and sadly the fact that Enid Blyton lived here, albeit for a short while seems to be something that is ignored locally. The only reason I knew she had spent time here is because I remember my grandmother telling me when I was little. Although even then I'd got the story slightly wrong and thought she was a governess to a couple of small boys. I'm wondering if my grandmother had just read the Barbara Stoney biography which was published in the early 1970s as that would have been about the time she told me. I suspect she was unaware of the fact before then.

It's a strange thought to think that my grandmother was only about 7 years younger than Enid and may possibly have passed her in the street at some point.

The school Enid taught at has been converted into upmarket housing - the school still exists in name, but is now located outside Ipswich. As far as I'm aware there are no blue plaques or anything similar on either the former school building, the house she lodged in or Seckford Hall (now a popular wedding venue).

The house I live in was owned by a lady who was also a student teacher at Ipswich High School, around the time Enid was there and I wondered briefly if she and Enid were friends and if Enid ever visited this house - then I realised it wasn't built until about 10 years after Enid left Ipswich. :roll:
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Fiona1986 wrote:
Anita Bensoussane wrote:I'll jab them with my diamond-studded false nails - or my stilettos!
Better be careful, white stilettos stain rather easily, wouldn't want blood all over them! ;)
I know! During a sort out a couple of days ago I came across my wedding shoes - white satin stilettos - and couldn't believe how mud stained they were. At least it wasn't blood though. Although I'm not sure if they'd truely count as stilettos as they aren't that high. :D

Anita, if people tease you about being from Essex too much, just tell them to 'Shu uuuuuup'. :wink:
Society Member