Audio Tape of the Books

If it doesn't fit into any of the above categories, post it here!
Minerva

Re: Audio Tape of the Books

Post by Minerva »

Dear All,

I'm posting this here as I suspect quite a few of you on this board have experienced the same (or similar) problem when purchasing used audio tapes.

I have discovered an advertisement on Amazon.co.uk for a (relatively) scarce audio version of an Enid Blyton story. My problem here is that the seller does not offer delivery to Australia! I've been considering the matter for a while and have come to the conclusion that if someone from the Society (i.e. a member) would offer to purchase it on my behalf and post it on to me then this might circumvent my difficulties.

I am happy to pay a surcharge (equivalent to the cost of forwarding postage + 10 pounds) in addition to the original cost (including postage/packaging to G.B.).

Even then I would be paying only about half of the cost of the next highest offer on Amazon!

If you would be interested in doing this for me, please P.M. and we can organize the details (by the way, I prefer using Paypal for transferring funds overseas)

Thank you for your consideration.
Minerva

Post by Minerva »

Nick Capaldi wrote:I'm one cassette away from completing the Rainbow Theatre Collection. The O'Sullivan Twins is proving extremley hard to find. Does anyone have this one? Thanks and wishing everyone a cool weekend

Are you still searching? If so, you may find what you're after on Amazon.co.uk. At the moment they are offering The O'Sullivan Twins (Rainbow Theatre) for around 20 pounds including postage in the UK.

Good luck!
wisha_wisha

Post by wisha_wisha »

Hello hello hello!

So, recently I've been re-bitten by the blyton bug and have been getting all the books from my childhood (I'm nearly 30 now!) and also some audio versions!

My favourite collection was the Faraway Tree collection & I've got 'The Magic Faraway Tree' & 'The Folk of the Faraway Tree' on cassette (the tell-a-story ones from the early nineties, read by Jill Shilling). The only one I'm still looking for is 'The Enchanted Wood' (same tell-a-story collection) and I'm eager to find it. I'm willing to do swapsies with someone with the other 2 or whatever!

Can anyone help me?
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

I listened to a record I recently purchased, "Fünf Freunde erforschen die Schatzinsel" (Five on treasure island), 1975. I have to admit they had an interesting way to pronounce Georgina, the "i" sounds like "y" in "my". Is this an acceptable to pronounce it, apart from the usual way in the TV-series?
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I've never heard Georgina pronounced that way!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Soenke Rahn

Post by Soenke Rahn »

Wolfgang wrote:I listened to a record I recently purchased, "Fünf Freunde erforschen die Schatzinsel" (Five on treasure island), 1975. I have to admit they had an interesting way to pronounce Georgina, the "i" sounds like "y" in "my". Is this an acceptable to pronounce it, apart from the usual way in the TV-series?
You mean like in title Giana Sisters. It is also spelled with different pronunciations ... if I have it right in my mind. But good that Anita, as a native speaker gave an answer to this riddle. Was an interesting question.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:I've never heard Georgina pronounced that way!
It might make for an interesting limerick competition entry.....
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Soenke Rahn wrote: You mean like in title Giana Sisters.
I imagine it rhymed with regina.
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Imagined what rhymed with "regina" -Giana or Georgina? And how are you pronouncing "Regina"? I was taught Latin and first learned it as "Raygeena" with a hard 'g', but nowadays it's more likely to be "reejyna". Gosh, my spell checker doesn't like phonetics!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Soenke Rahn

Post by Soenke Rahn »

Ok, I have heard two versions of Giana:

1. dschih, ahna
2. dsch ey, ahna
You can paste it into the googeltranslater: http://translate.google.de/#de/en/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; you can paste it there and listen :-)

Georgina would be:
1.Georgina
and I suppose, Wolfgang asked 2. Georgeynah

:-) Hope I understand it not false.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Wolfgang wrote:I listened to a record I recently purchased, "Fünf Freunde erforschen die Schatzinsel" (Five on treasure island), 1975. I have to admit they had an interesting way to pronounce Georgina, the "i" sounds like "y" in "my".
Soenke Rahn wrote: Georgina would be:
1.Georgina
and I suppose, Wolfgang asked 2. Georgeynah
From what Wolfgang said I think the name was pronounced Jorj-EYE-nuh on the record (that might be the way you meant, Soenke). Personally, I've only ever heard it pronounced Jorj-EE-nuh.
Moonraker wrote:It might make for an interesting limerick competition entry.....
Hmm - I know where you're going with that one! :twisted:
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: From what Wolfgang said I think the name was pronounced Jorj-EYE-nuh on the record (that might be the way you meant, Soenke). Personally, I've only ever heard it pronounced Jorj-EE-nuh.
Yes, I suppose that's the way I meant it :-).
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
MummyRivett
Favourite book/series: The Land of Far Beyond / Faith
Favourite character: Content and Gladness

Post by MummyRivett »

I love the Rainbow Communications Theatre Collection

I have all of them and over the Christmas have converted them all to MP3 thanks to a little gadget called the Super USB Cassette Capture.

I collected all of the series and all the Roald Dahl and Three Investigator ones too. I've been listening to them this weekend they have brought back loads of wonderful memories.

I had this secret seven set too. But I remember there being two tapes:

I can't seem to find them.

:(
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

You are right in saying that all 26 Pickwick ditto cassettes came as twin packs and it can be very frustrating if you end up getting half a story! Sometimes, not the half that you wanted!!

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/audi ... dittopacks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you buy these things on sites like ebay you normally only get one cassette and not the pair. At least with your Secret Seven one you have a whole story as the other cassette has a different story on it.
MummyRivett
Favourite book/series: The Land of Far Beyond / Faith
Favourite character: Content and Gladness

Post by MummyRivett »

Thank you for that Tony, another set to collect :)