Enid Blyton's 'adult' short stories

Discuss Blyton's magazines, short stories and poetry here.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Enid Blyton's 'adult' short stories

Post by Rob Houghton »

Since reading the 'adult' story Enid wrote in a recent 'Journal', I have been thinking how nice it would be if members of the E.B Society could purchase a booklet of all of her known adult stories.

I'm not saying they were brilliant stories, but I found the one printed in the journal entertaining enough, and it was interesting to see Enid as not many of us remember her...

Hows about a Society booklet of these 'adult' (in bracketts!!) short stories?
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Enid Blyton's "Adult" Writing

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Like you, Robert, I'd love to read more of these stories. I believe that the playscript of Enid Blyton's play for adults, Summer Storm, has also survived, even though the play was never performed. That would make fascinating reading. Most of all I'd like to read her unpublished adult novel, The Caravan Goes On, but it seems that the manuscript of that was lost or destroyed.

Anita
Tony Summerfield

Adult Short Stories

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Point taken Anita and Rob! Another booklet required, obviously - but it wouldn't be a very thick one. The story that I published in the Journal (The Man She Trusted) was the longest that I have and although I have three or four more they are all much shorter. I had anyway intended to publish them in a future Journal when space allowed (along with a few more of the 'From My Window' Series) - but once again in Journal 26, currently at the printers, there was no room. You can blame that on all the splendidly lengthy articles I get from your good selves!!

I am keen to get uncollected material into future Society booklets, so suggestions and ideas are always welcome - I have several ideas myself but always welcome more.

As far as the adult novel is concerned I wrote an article about what I thought had happened to this in a past Journal (we need an index as I can't find it!) - I will say more about this when I locate it.

Best wishes
Tony
Errol

Enid Blyton's "Adult" Writing

Post by Errol »

Hi

I've just recently registered for the Forum and joined the Society and would like to congratulate all concerned on the wonderful work being done here. The Forum is providing interesting reading, and I'm looking forward very much to receving my first Journal.

This topic of Enid Blyton's adult writing is also one (of the many) that I'm interested in, so may I add my voice to Anita's and Robert's in saying how much I would like to see some of the adult writing? So, for my sake too, Tony, it would be great to see a booklet with the short stories.

Until such time, how would I go about getting a copy of the short story already published in the Journal as well as the article about the novel (print or online)?

What I'm especially interested in is obtaining a copy of the text of "The Summer Storm" play. I'd love to read it, and I'm quite sure it won't be as "unacceptable" as the theatre managements at the time made it out to be.

Is there any way of getting a copy of it (again either print or electronic)?

Many thanks.

Regards,
Errol
Tony Summerfield

Adult material

Hello again Errol - You have picked up on an old thread here, but the position hasn't changed much. I have still only published the one adult short story in the Journal, but when room allows I will publish the others I have, but I am not sure there is sufficient material for a booklet, and to be fair it is easy to see why she decided on writing for children and stuck to it.

Apart from the abhorted adult novel in the early 30s the only adult material that she wrote was in the early 20s before she started writing for children. The exception to this was the unpublished play, Summer Storm. I do have the original manuscript of this in our archives and it is perhaps possible that this could be published as a booklet at some stage in the future - I am not sure what the copyright position would be.

We have now published over 20 booklets of or about Enid's work and those who have bought any will know that a tremendous amount of time and effort goes into producing some of them and they only ever sell about 20-30 copies!! I am sure that there will be more booklets to come in the future, but I am currently taking a break.

Best wishes
Tony

Adult material

Post by Guest »

Hi Tony

Many thanks for your reply and the information.

Yes, I can appreciate that there must be a tremendous amount of work involved in publishing those booklets, but, if it's any consolation, you can be sure they're much appreciated.

I will keep watching the Journal for possible further short stories. I will also look out for a further booklet/s sooner or later. And hopefully "Summer Storm" will become available at some stage, because I'm sure it will attract a lot of interest. By the way, is there no other copy of it around somewhere? Perhaps one that has already been scanned?

Best wishes,
Errol
Moonraker

Re: Adult material

Post by Moonraker »

Errol wrote:Yes, I can appreciate that there must be a tremendous amount of work involved in publishing those booklets, but, if it's any consolation, you can be sure they're much appreciated.
I think this calls for us all to thank Tony once more, for all the work he puts in to 'all things Blyton'.
Thanks, Tony.
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Kind Remarks

Thanks Nigel, much appreciated. As you will realise from the lack of comments in the Journal section I get very little feedback on anything which makes your kind comments doubly welcome.

One of the main reasons for this is that there is very little common ground between the users of this site and members of the Society - only a very small percentage of users actually belong to the Society and receive Journals or booklets. Of course it also works the other way round in that very few members of the Society are registered on this site which also probably explains why the much visited post about the EB Day has actually only produced one person buying tickets so far - and as I think we know she lives in New Zealand!!

Best wishes
Tony
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Society Booklets

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Just wanted to say that the various booklets published by the Enid Blyton Society over the years contain some real gems - things that would be extremely difficult to find elsewhere. Some of my favourite Society publications include the "Mister Meddle" booklet (which contains 6 lesser-known Meddle stories), the charming Letters from Bobs booklets and Enid Blyton's early short novel, The Wonderful Adventure. And how many people have seen the Secret Seven as depicted by Gilbert Dunlop? - those illustrations can be seen in the booklet Enid Blyton in the Sunday Graphic.

[Moonraker:] "I think this calls for us all to thank Tony once more, for all the work he puts in to 'all things Blyton'."

Hear hear!

Anita
Moonraker

Re: Kind Remarks

Post by Moonraker »

Tony Summerfield wrote: As you will realise from the lack of comments in the Journal section I get very little feedback on anything which makes your kind comments doubly welcome.

One of the main reasons for this is that there is very little common ground between the users of this site and members of the Society - only a very small percentage of users actually belong to the Society and receive Journals or booklets. Of course it also works the other way round in that very few members of the Society are registered on this site
Tony
Perhaps it might be worth advertising this forum in the Journal in order to encourage more folk to use this site. I find it incredible that anyone loving Enid's work should not be making the fullest use of this site, the Yahoo! Group and Keith's site, http://www.enidblyton.net - not to mention Heather's excellent site.
How about a letters' page in the Journal?
Society Member
HeatherS
Favourite book/series: Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by HeatherS »

moonraker wrote:
I find it incredible that anyone loving Enid's work should not be making the fullest use of this site, the Yahoo! Group and Keith's site, http://www.enidblyton.net - not to mention Heather's excellent site.

Awww, thank you so much. :D Not that I'd ever think my site comparable to the others you've mentioned, but of course it's nice to hear people are finding it useful!
Heather
"Have you held your breath in wonder, at the sky so dark and deep?" - Enid Blyton
http://www.heathersblytonpages.com/
Steve Alpe

Post by Steve Alpe »

Tony

Please keep up the good work - it is very much appreciated by the members - albeit sadly many are slient.

I would be in the queue for a copy of the 'Summer Storm' booklet when it comes out.

I have the majority of Society Booklets but two booklets which are mentioned above, were produced before I joined the EB Society, and are therefore on my 'wants' list. The two being 'The Wonderful Adventure' and 'Enid Blyton in the Sunday Graphic'. Are there any copies left?
Nair Snehalatha

Re: Enid Blyton's 'adult' short stories

Post by Nair Snehalatha »

Ijust stumbled on this thread--- I as one of the greatest devotees of Blyton-- would really love to read :) Enid's ''adult'' stories.Am sure they must have been as interesting and exuberant.
Tony Summerfield

They are all in the Cave of Books---along with hundreds of other things.

Click on Society Website at the top of this page. Then click on Cave of Books and put 'adult' into search and click. Links will come up to all Enid Blyton's adult short stories and poems.
Nair Snehalatha

Post by Nair Snehalatha »

Thank you Tony.I will do so--- go to The Cave Of Books and search--I'll be adventurous. :)