Short Stories by Enid Blyton

Discuss Blyton's magazines, short stories and poetry here.
Nair Snehalatha

Re: Short Stories by Enid Blyton

Post by Nair Snehalatha »

This is a full story but short as well. '' Those Dreadful Children''--about two families ---The Carltons and the Taggertys.How they influence each other's lives give us a lot of entertainment and ofcourse so many things to learn.
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I wouldn't call "Those Dreadful Children" a short story at all. The short stories, of which there are hundreds, are often only a few pages long and while they are useful as little stories to tell to children especially as many have a little moral hidden within them, it is the longer books which make such satisfying reading as a child gets older. It is great that the short stories lead children to read the longer adventure and mystery books and these give much entertainment and pleasure to many - no matter how old we are!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Nair Snehalatha

There's ''Happy Day Stories'' among the hundreds of short stories written by dear old Blyton.One of the stories is ''Let's Have A Club Of Our Own''.Its about six ordinary children who form a club of their own ,have their own password,decide on a meeting place and successfully set the club going.Other little stories like--''The Little Thimble Plant''-''Now Then Amelia Jane'' make fine reading.Happy Day Stories was first published by Evans Brothers in 1960. Amelia Jane stories also come into the short stories part.There are three short story books on Amelia Jane--with short stories about the naughty doll in each.
Nair Snehalatha

In 'The Red Story Book'' there are lovely little stories like --''A Real Game Of Hide And Seek'', The Boy Who Was Shy'',--The Boy Next Door''.''Five Naughty Lambs''.All these stories are so very entertaining,and as usual convey lovely messages.God Bless Enid Blyton.''It is illustrated by Jenny Chapple, published in 1966 by Dragon Books. Another short story book--The Three Naughty Children and other stories'' have pretty, little stories like ''T he Newspaper Dog''--''The Two Good Fairies''--''The Odd Little Bird''--sweet ,little stories about fairies,good and naughty children,the toys coming alive---which I really love.Please do read all these books .''The Three Naughty Children '' is illustrated by Eileen Soper--wonderfully.
Nair Snehalatha

Among the short stories I must mention ''Nature Lover's Book--Number 4'' It it full of different little stories--all about the magic of nature.There are little poems too which Enid has so carefully woven for us.I n her nature stories we find the reasons why the primrose has crinkled leaves,why mistletoe berries are so sticky,why the snail leaves behind a silver trail--and many others.S he really had the key to the countryside.
Nair Snehalatha

Enid Blyton's Tenth Bedtime Book'' contains lovely little stories.One of them that I especially like is ''The Empty Doll's House''How little Sally gets furniture for her dear little doll's house her grandmother gave her for Christmas.Enid Blyton makes everything so delightful for us.
Nair Snehalatha

There is Enid Blyton's Mystery Stories--''The Secret Of Cliff Castle'' and Smuggler Ben''.They are not short stories exactly--but not too long either..But both are fantastic reads.I have got the two in one Armada---the illustrations are not Eileen Soper's--more like Rene Cloke.
Nair Snehalatha

There's Chimney Corner Stories''---several delightful tales--I love them all --but my favourites are ''The Magic Walking Stick''-- ''The Wizard's Umbrella''--''The Tiresome Poker''--all very hilarious and keeps you amused and happy for hours.
Nair Snehalatha

T he Blue Story Book has got delightful stories.One of them among a whole lot of others I like is ''Poor Mister Dawdle''its really humorous.--especially the part where it takes at least 10 minutes for Dawdle to find his foot. ''The Very Clever Kite'' is another. ''The Golliwog And The Canary'' is a third..and of course all the others too. Only these happen to be my favourites.
Nair Snehalatha

In ''The Yellow Story Book'' there is this ''The Enchanted Book''---it is a bit like Father Time And His Pattern Book''---it shows yourself ---the kind of person you are--and what you would be if you changed to better ways.It teaches a lot as all Enid Blyton's stories usually do.I woder sometimes--''W asn't Enid Blyton divinely inspired''?I dont think anyone can write as she did---really from the depths of her heart----and for everyone's good.I love her so much
Nair Snehalatha

There are hundreds of short stories by Enid Blyton---the Amelia Jane stories are all short sweet stories about that naughty doll--Amelia Jane.Its a very good read. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Gosh, what a lot of posts, I'm really worn out! :lol:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Nair Snehalatha

In short stories there is the lovely '' Birds Of Our Gardens''--A Piccolo Book--with text illustrations by David Pratt..The illustrations are all lovely.There is so much we learn from this book. Two children who go to live with their aunt and uncle in the country ,for a whole year when their parents leave for America.A gorgeous book and great reading.I wonder how many have read this book. :D
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I've read Birds of Our Gardens and it's a lovely book, full of interesting facts and observations, but it's not a collection of short stories. It's a full-length information book in which Enid Blyton imparts knowledge by showing us things through the eyes of fictional characters, so that we learn along with Tony and Mollie. My Newnes edition (sadly lacking the dustwrapper) has illustrations by Roland Green and Ernest Aris, as well as black-and-white photos.

I agree that 'The Tiresome Poker', 'The Magic Walking-Stick' and 'The Enchanted Book' are some of Enid Blyton's best short stories.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Nair Snehalatha

Yes ,Iagree with Anita-----. The short stories you mentioned I too have read.--- ''The friendly robin '' is one among the short stories in the book of the same name.The book contains nine nature stories. there is also '' The family in the corn field'' and ''The fish that built a nest''--- Both of these are nature books having nine nature stories each.The editions I have are published by Knight--paperback division of Brockhampton Press.I don't know if you have read them. :D