Short Stories by Enid Blyton

Discuss Blyton's magazines, short stories and poetry here.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Short Stories by Enid Blyton

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I've come across several of those stories ('The Friendly Robin', etc.), but in different collections. Enid Blyton teaches her readers a lot about nature. I still remember many of the lessons I learnt from her books - she taught me to observe the natural world and understand it better.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Nair Snehalatha

Post by Nair Snehalatha »

Yes,Anita each and everyone of Enid Blyton's books has something to teach us if we are wiling to learn.Her ''Nature Lover's Book- Number1, 2, 3 ,4--- are glorious.The two of my favourites are --Country Walks With Uncle Merry --which is Nature Lover's Book--Number 2 and Rambles With Zacky the Gipsy---- which is Nature Lover's Book Number 3.The ones I have are paperbacks published by Evans Brothers.The children learn so much about the country and so do we. They are great reads.Enid Blyton's magical hands could turn to any form of writing. :)
Nair Snehalatha

Post by Nair Snehalatha »

Today while tidying up my Enid Blytons and browsing through them I found '''Tell -A-- Story Book. Avery pretty , little book having ''The Little Sugar House and other stories''--- ''The Little Sugar House'' is one among the stories I like best. There are ten small stories---- all sweet and nice.Enid Blyton has written quite a few poems too.---''' Midnight Tea Party '' is a poem in this book--- as nice as ever Enid Blyton could write. 8)
JoJo1975

Post by JoJo1975 »

Hi there,
I wonder if anyone can help me? I remember reading an Enid Blyton book when I was younger, I believe that it had Pip on the front cover. One of the stories in the book, I'm sure was called Mr. Squibble or Mr. Squiggle. Please can someone let me know what the book was called, I managed to loose my copy and would love to get another one but I need the title to look for it.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Mr Squiggle appears here;

http://enidblytonsociety.co.uk/search.p ... .+Squiggle" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
JoJo1975

Post by JoJo1975 »

Hi Pete,
Thank you so much for your reply, I'm obviously mistaken on which book it was but I'll have a look and see if I can get a copy of the one you said.
Take care,
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

And Pip appears here.
Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

I don't want to open a new thread. So I just ask the question here.

I want to read all the short stories about the regular characters(person) that always appear as main characters in short stories.

1) Billy-Bob
2) Betsy-May
3) John the Detective
4) Sally Simple
5) Simple Simon
6) Mr. Tumpy

I have all the stories that feature all of them as main characters in various short stories books that I have except one title named Betsy-May is Shy.

My copy of Tales of Betsy-May is Dean hardback. In my copy, there is NO story of Betsy-May is Shy.

I am considering to buy Tales of Betsy-May in Dragon paperback. Could someone who has Dragon paperback of Tales of Betsy-May please confirm that the title is in the book?
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
shadow
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery / Mary Pollock / Adventure Series
Favourite character: Kiki / Loony

Post by shadow »

I have a1979 reprint of the 1970 dragon edition and the story appears in my copy.
If I could live here on this secret island always and always and always, and never grow up at all, I would be quite happy
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Thank you so much for the information, Sue. :-)
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Farwa
Favourite book/series: The Secret Island/Adventure Series/Famous Five
Favourite character: Anne Kirrin/Peggy

Post by Farwa »

I love the stories, "The Night the Toys Came To Life" and "A Christmas Wish", both in featured in Enid's book,"The Enchanted Shoes and Other Stories."
A day spent without a smile is a day lost.
Unenblytoned

Post by Unenblytoned »

A question from a passing stranger.

Suppose you could own only 5 or 6 Enid Blyton short story collections (because your house is practically full of books already). Which 5 or 6 would you choose?

Note carefully: I’m interested only in pre-1960 collections compiled by Enid herself (e.g. Holiday Books, Flower Books, Bedside Books, Pink-Whistle collections, Tales of Betsy-May...).

I know there’s an embarras de richesse, so this isn’t an easy question, but in my house it’s a very practical one!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Welcome, Unenblytoned. Most of my short story collections date from the 1970s, but my Dean & Son copy of Mr. Pink-Whistle's Party has the same contents as the original and it's full of delightful, heart-warming tales. If I could have only six volumes of Enid Blyton's short stories, Mr. Pink-Whistle's Party would be one of them.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I think I would definitely choose the original Chimney Corner Stories, as well as A Story Party At Green Hedges, The Adventures of Binkle and Flip, Mr Pink-Whistle's Big Book, and last but not least Enid Blyton's Treasury, which has a great selection of older children's stories, including nature and mystery. :-)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

A Story Party at Green Hedges is a great choice, Robert, because of the linking scenes between the stories which show the children chatting to Enid Blyton and asking her for various kinds of tales. And the illustrations by Grace Lodge are superb. My copy doesn't have a dustwrapper but it's still a gorgeous book.

Society Member