60 Years Ago This Week - Enid Blyton's Magazine 1958

Discuss Blyton's magazines, short stories and poetry here.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: 60 Years Ago This Week - Enid Blyton's Magazine 1958

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I forgot to say earlier that the Kaye Webb biography looks fascinating, Pete. We've got a thread on it here:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/foru ... hy#p135853" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think it was Kaye Webb who was responsible for some of the lovely prefaces to the Puffin books I read as a child. She really got to the heart of a book and wrote about it with immense affection. I'm thinking in particular of Clive King's Stig of the Dump, which has a sensitively-written introduction ending: "In an ideal world every solitary child should be able to find himself a Stig, but if they aren't so fortunate then sharing Barney's luck is the next best thing." I also recall the uplifting preface to Noel Streatfeild's Ballet Shoes, which includes the following words: "All her characters are so true to life that they dance through the pages, and there is such a warm-hearted atmosphere of home and making the best of things, of perseverance and success, that many a reader may feel inspired to go off and have another try at her own particular ambition, while the rest will certainly read avidly on from beginning to end, whether ballet has so far meant anything to them or not."
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Thanks Anita.Most interesting. I didn't realise the quote was here on the forums all along!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Another fortnight gone by and another new EB Magazine! Its the first magazine of February - and here it is -

The cover story this week is Lucky Linda - which you can read by following the link below. Its a really good story, in my opinion, especially as I was also a very shy child, and I'm sure people thought I was snobbish or standoffish - when I wasn't - just painfully shy. Its unusual for Enid to realise this, as she is often scathing of shy people, so its nice to see a different take on it! :D I really enjoyed the story - and it is quite tense in places - and reminded me of The Ring O#Bells Mystery! ;-) It also has some great illustrations - by someone who is sadly not credited.

In Enid's Editorial Letter this week we have a very sunny message from Enid. She is obviously full of the joys of spring, talking about the birds and flowers she's seen in her garden - including crocuses and snowdrops. We have quite a crowd of snowdrops out now - but so far no sign f any crocuses yet.

Its always good to read Enid's descriptions of her garden and the animals there, and its easy to see how children really felt an affinity with Enid and her home. Enid also tells us about the Noddy Pantomime, which has now been filmed and will be shown in cinemas. I wonder if it ever was?! I can't imagine it, myself. Maybe it was shown on TV instead? I think we watched a couple of minutes of it at an Enid Blyton day one year? I have the 'book of the play' and there are some great illustrations - also some great songs too (lol!)some of which appear on the Noddy stories records, told by Enid Blyton and sung by members of the pantomime cast. Songs such as -

Dinner, Dinner, Dinner, Dinner,

(sounds like the theme tune to Batman!)

Oh, Dinner, Dinner, Dinner,
We're hungry as can be,
What have we got for dinner,
We're as hungry as can be!

Oh I've got steak and kidney,
And a treacle pudding too!
And we've got lots of sausages
We'll keep a few for you!

etc!

At last, Enid tells us that the Famous Five film will be coming to Birmingham - Dudley Road. Nowhere near me, but I guess its better than nothing! She is also pleased to tell us how many children have written saying they love the Famous Five serial. As Enid says - When I saw it being filmed, I knew you would!

After Lucky Linda we continue with A Puzzle For The Secret Seven - chapter 9 - Crash! This time around there's an illustration by Burgess SHarocks and its very similar to the illustration that appears in the finished book. I've always thought the illustration f the boys looking in the shop window at the bike is one of Sharrocks' better illustrations. Here are both of them - first one from the magazine, second one from the book -

Next we have another uncollected short story - and another good one - The Jumble Puppy - which is a charming story - not really exciting - but a good read - and some really good illustrations by Marjorie L Davies. What a great illustrator she was - probably my second favourite after Grace Lodge. Read the story by following the link.

Our Letter Page this week has a selection of letters. One is from Sandra Marston, who writes - Dear Enid Blyton, On behalf of the Dartford Granadiers, I would like to say how much we are all enjoying your film 'Five On A Treasure Island'. A few weeks ago we had the pleasure of seeing Rel Grainger, who acts the part of George. She visited the cinema, and I was lucky enough to obtain her autograph. Yours sincerely Sandra Marston.

Always interesting to hear about the Famous Five serial! Enid Replies - Thank you, Sandra! I have had many letters like yours, telling me about the Famous Five Film, but yours was so beautifully written that I have chosen it out of all the rest, to print on this page.

Next we have the latest instalment of Rumble and Chuff - an instalment I found rather odd, because its set at Christmas Eve! Why would children want to read about Christmas Eve and Father Christmas in February? That wasn't planned very well, was it?! I know as a kid I wouldn't have wanted to read anything about Christmas unless it was Christmas time. Strange.

Next we have Puzzle Page

SUNBEAMS PRIZE PUZZLE

My first is in pipe but not in smoke
My second is in funny but not in joke
My third is in pound but not in ounce,
My fourth is in leap and also in pounce,
My fifth is in penny but not in cent
My whole is often on mischief bent!

FAMOUS FIVE PRIZE PUZZLE -

Below you will find a string of letters. Cross out the letters of one word, leaving the letters of another word, according to the clues given -

Take away the name of one vegetable and leave another one -

P T O U T R A N I T P O

A PUZZLE FOR MY BUSY BEES -

Add one letter in front of, and one letter behind, each of the groups of letters below and turn them into the names of birds -

WIF AVE AGL

The next short story is Mr Stampabout's Hat - which can be read in Mighty-One the Wizard and Other Stories (Award 2003). Its a typical story about Mr Stampabout - quite amusing - and some great illustrations by another uncredited illustrator.

The final story this issue is Five get Into A Fix - chapter 16. The illustrations are quite different from those shown in the book, this time round - or at least, one is - but the magazine illustrations are interesting, because they are captioned round the wrong way - as you can see from the two magazine illustrations below -

here are the equivalents in the novel version -

Enjoy reading the two uncollected short stories here -

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/maga ... ?magid=930

:D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Thanks for the review Rob and Tony for the link to the stories.
Burgess Sharrocks wasn't my favourite SS illustrator, I preferred Bruno Kay's work, but the one in the magazine is very good. Got the three birds quite quickly by adding a letter before and after. I'm getting better at these. :D
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Thanks John. I agree - think Sharrocks' illustrations aren't usually great but those in the magazine are much better than those in the books, I think. The bike illustration is a good example. The magazine version is much more lively and well drawn. Its also interesting that the magazine illustration has a violin in the window, whereas the novel version doesn't!
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

I do so enjoy these reviews every fortnight thanks to Rob and thanks to Tony too. I looked up the Noddy in Toyland film on the BFI website, it starred Colin Spaull as Noddy (I've seen him in several films) and another name l recognise was Leslie Sarony as Mr Pink-Whistle. I don't suppose it will see the light of day again.

It's interesting to compare the FF and SS illustrations. The magazine ones do seem superior to the pictures in the books.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Another interesting write-up, Rob - and thanks for the scans, Tony!

I too find Burgess Sharrocks' illustration of the bike etc. for (A) Puzzle for the Secret Seven better in the magazine than in the book. The magazine picture looks softer, with more depth to it.

Funny that the Eileen Soper illustrations were given the wrong captions!

Spring seems to have come early for Enid Blyton - though not for us. It's perishing here in Essex this morning and I doubt any birds are thinking of nesting yet!

I always enjoy the puzzles and we have a nice, varied selection this time.

'Lucky Linda' is a thoughtful and enjoyable story, though I can't help thinking it's a good job the bucket and chain were strongly made or things might have ended very differently!

'The Jumble-Puppy' is a simple tale but Enid Blyton is adept at taking us into the world of a small child and all the little details help bring things to life and keep the reader engaged.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I really enjoyed the two stories too — thanks as always, Rob and Tony. I did think, though, that lowering someone (even a smallish boy) in a bucket down a well was a bit far-fetched — as you say, Anita, good thing the bucket and chain (and the whole winding mechanism) were obviously strong enough! :shock:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Thanks all!

Yes, I agree about the boy standing in the bucket...good job the chain and bucket were strong!! Its an idea that terrifies me, as I have a strange fear of dark deep water, and the thought of going down a well is not very appealing to me - I feel the same when I read The Ring O'Bells Mystery. Part of the reason why I wrote 'Five Go Off In A Narrowboat' and described dark tunnels of water was to exorcise some of my fears. I get very uptight and stressed when approaching long dark canal tunnels - no idea why - and its something that has only happened over the last six or seven years.

Enid's springtime does indeed seem to have started early - although I was pleased to see the first crocuses coming up on our rockery today, and its beautifully sunny here with blue skies and birds chirping! :-D

Thank you, as always, Tony, for the scans - they really bring my reviews alive and give everyone a glimpse of these wonderful magazines! :-D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Here we are again with the latest issue of Enid Blyton's Magazine. :-D

let's take a look at what's inside! You can read the Editorial, and the two unpublished short stories, as well as the continuing adventures of Rumble and Chuff, by following the link below.

The cover of this week's magazine shows an illustration from the first uncollected story, A Little Bit of Tit For Tat - a story I really enjoyed, illustrated by the wonderful Anne Read. What great depictions she gives of 'Mrs Black' the nasty cook! Its a fun story - maybe a bit daft in some ways but I love it - it works well, and its a nice family story that has a satisfying ending, all about how the children teach the nasty cook a lesson. What more can anyone want? Read it in The Cave by following the link.

Enid's Editorial Letter - follows - with some interesting details about Enid's garden, as always, and also about the silk worms that children can now send for again. Apparently this year, the man only has the kinds of silk worms that feed on mulberry leaves - so Enid tells children they must only send for them if they have a mulberry tree nearby. Can you imagine children bothering about such details these days?! :lol:

Image this week contains two longish letters - one from a girl called Elizabeth, who lived near to Enid Blyton, and who, we discover, 'shares' her red and grey squirrel with Enid Blyton, who's house is at the bottom of the girl's garden! How amazing to live in a house whose garden joined Enid's garden at the bottom! I would have loved that! But i'm sure I'd have been too shy to even look over the fence!

The second uncollected short story is one that reminds me very much of a few traditional tales about putting bells onto cats etc. Enid has written many similar tales. Oh Sammy Sly! is about tying Mr Fierce up and throwing him in a pond - which all the goblins agree would be a great idea...as long as Sammy Sly does it! What happens makes a nice jolly and amusing story - but nothing very innovative!

A Puzzle For the Secret Seven reaches chapter 10 this time round - and offers another illustration that wasn't in the book version. Its a bit of a strange illustration - but even so, I still think they are all more lively than the book illustrations! The policeman does look a bit familier though...could he have been related to George Formby?! ;-) :lol:

Rumble and Chuff continues on its way, with the latest middle-page spread. I do find it very odd that Enid is now telling a story that is set at Christmas time, when we are heading towards March. It seems strange, because how many children would be interested in reading about Father Christmas in the spring? It almost seems as if someone planned things badly here. Should this have been serialised in December?

PUZZLE PAGE

SUNBEAMS PRIZE PUZZLE

Hidden in each of the sentences below is the name of the capital of a country of Europe. Can you find them all?

a) The hero met the heroine at the ball
b) Is that a nomad riding his camel?
c) This fish tail is bony, Mummy!

FAMOUS FIVE PRIZE PUZZLE
What am I?

My first part goes along the street,
My end, a people - like the Greeks,
My whole has a perfume fresh and sweet
And I'm in bloom in the summer weeks.

A PUZZLE FOR MY BUSY BEES

What is the capital city of Poland?

Next we have chapter 17 of Five Get Into A Fix. Its always interesting to compare illustrations - so here are the two from the Magazine -

Its interesting to see the depiction of Anne in the illustration above - she certainly looks like a young woman - very adult indeed! I much prefer the Five when they are depicted as teenagers!

The novel version has a much weaker illustration, in my view - and only one of them. Instead of that great depiction of the 'big, big hole' we have 'Aily scraping the snow'...big deal!! ;-)

The next short story is a Mr Pink-Whistle tale, which you can read in Mr Pink-Whistle's Big Book. Its an amusing tale, as always, entitled Mr Pink-Whistle Knows How To Bark! - what a great title! Its a story about how Pink-Whistle teaches some nasty bullies a lesson - always a fun theme for a story and one I loved as a child!
You can also read this story in Mr Pink-Whistle Stories (Award 2003) and Mr Pink-Whistle Stories and other stories (Series 3) (Bounty 2014) :-)

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/maga ... ?magid=931

:D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Thanks, Rob - and Tony!

Enid Blyton's editorial is interesting as always. All the spring flowers are late here this year, with the weather being so cold. Snow is falling as I type.

It would be fascinating to be able to listen to Enid's broadcast from the Little Centre for Spastic Children, which was in Cheyne Walk, Chelsea. Of course, we now refer to the condition as cerebral palsy. After doing a spot of Googling, I found that there is still a Cheyne Charity which supports children and young adults with cerebral palsy:

https://www.cheynecharity.org/history/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I enjoyed 'A Little Bit of Tit-for-Tat'. At one point Mrs. Black's reaction is rather hard to swallow, but otherwise it's an engaging story. It gives us an insight into life in a house where the kitchen is the domain of the cook/housekeeper, who talks of "my larder" and "my kitchen" and makes the children of the family feel that they're trespassing if they dare to venture in. I sympathise with poor Hugh when Enid Blyton writes, "Hugh was too afraid to say it was his mother's larder"!

'Oh Sammy Sly!' reminded me of the fable 'Belling the Cat' too, Rob.

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Great stuff! Thanks Rob and Tony. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

Very enjoyable as always. Thank you Tony and Rob.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

A great review and great scans. Loved the Fix pix comparisons!

As usual it makes me want to dig out my own copy and read it cover to cover later today!

Many thanks Rob and Tony
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Thanks all!

I agree that its interesting to compare the magazine illustrations with the novel versions. Until I started doing this, I had never even realised they were different!
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member