A question about magazines

Discuss Blyton's magazines, short stories and poetry here.
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

A question about magazines

Post by IceMaiden »

Quick question, are all the stories in magazines such as Sunny Stories in the books as well? in other words, if you collect all the books would you still need to collect the magazines too in order to get every story?
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: A question about magazines

Post by Rob Houghton »

There are loads of uncollected stories in Sunny Stories and Enid Blyton's Magazine. Some have been added to the cave (especially those for Enid Blyton's magazine 1957 as they have been accompanying my thread 'Sixty Years Ago')

Its amazing how many short stories were never republished in a book.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

You can read some of the uncollected short stories in Enid Blyton's magazines in The Cave. Thank you to Tony and Rob who have started it.

There are more than 200 uncollected short stories(including non-fiction) in Enid Blyton's magazines. I counted them but I have forgotten the exact numbers. I think Tony must know the exact numbers.

So I recommend you to collect them if you want to read the uncollected short stories. Overall, EB's magazines are easier, cheaper and in better condition than EB's Sunny Stories.

There are only less than 50 uncollected short stories(excluding poems, letters and picture strips) in 552 Sunny Stories. In my opinion, not worth your money to collect all 552 magazines. You can just buy the magazines that contain the uncollected stories.

Book: Benjy and The Others.

I have been searching this book for so long. More than 10 years and not a single book had appeared in online market. I have created want list for this book in various online markets (including Ebay) and I have never received a single notification from them to this day. The conclusion, this is the MOST elusive, obscure and rare EB's books! And this is the only EB's books that I don't have in my collection. I have tried my best but still could not lay my hands on the book. So, in 2016 I decided the only way I could read the text of Benjy and The Others was from Sunny Stories sources.

You can just buy Sunny Stories magazines no. 538- no. 549 in order for you to read Benjy and The Others. Mind you, some numbers are not easy to find. I just bought no. 547 yesterday after a very long search!(Please see the link below) The reason is because there's another uncollected short story featuring Mr. Pink Whistle and Faraway Tree characters(one of the popular series written by EB) in the same magazine hence its obscurity (meaning more people want to have no. 547).

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262963957737? ... EBIDX%3AIT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I've never seen Benjy and The Others anywhere either. Do you really have EVERY other EB book, though? (Of course classification of every will vary as to whether you include compilations published after her death and so on.)
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I'm not sure its actually possible to have 'every' Enid Blyton book...even Tony hasn't! ;-)

I have 'a great deal' but couldn't ever say I have all of them. I know I'm unlikely to ever have all of them because I don't think I'll be lucky enough to have all the 'Birn Brothers' books and not likely to have 'The Wonderful Adventure' in anything but the facsimile copy I have!
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

I mean the EB's novels for her long stories under novels/novelettes. Yes, I have all of them except Benjy and The Others. A couple of which I have in booklet form published by EBS. All true first editions/dws except Secret Island, two titles in 8 Bom series and several titles in 24 Noddy series although I have all 24 in dws.
Last edited by sixret on 04 May 2017, 10:41, edited 1 time in total.
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I guess it does depend how we count them. I certainly have all the main series and one off books and almost all of the short story collections that came out in the 1940's and 50's but I dont have all of the 1930's or 1920's collections or poem books (except Silver and Gold) and unfortunately don't have any Birn Books except facsimiles from EB Society, which I don't count! :-D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Well in that case I am missing all of the Boms, Benjy and the Others, The Adventures of Scamp, and several of the 'one off' novels.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Yes - I've only got two Bom books (plus the Bom painting book!) and I don't have Benjy and the Others. Do have The Adventures of Scamp etc...but there are loads I still don't have. It's difficult to work out because I keep forgetting various books!
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

To keep vaguely on-topic it's good to know that something like Benjy and the Others is available through Sunny Stories (though I suspect at great difficulty and cost in acquiring all those individual issues).

I'd love to have Let's Pretend and other one-offs but it's just not realistic given the prices they go for (when they rarely appear).

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Also, keeping on topic, there are the short stories such as The Surprising Caravan, The Runaway Kitten, The Bad Little Monkey, At Appletree Farm, etc which never appeared in Sunny Stories or any other collections but are also very hard to get - so even if you buy all the magazines there will still be stories that you haven't got unless you buy the books they appeared in!
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Ah. Well I happen to have The Surprising Caravan actually :lol:. I have four of the Brockhampton Picture Books including that one, with Jolly Little Jumbo, The Bad Little Monkey and The Train that Lost its Way. They're a little tatty on the spines but I'm sure I didn't pay more than a few pounds for them.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Of those you mentioned, I only have 'The Train that Lost it's Way' - but I'm always on the lookout for EB books! just trying to have a month of not buying many because I'm overspending! :lol:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Well good luck!

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

Oh goodness this is getting complicated! Is it actually possible to collect every book Enid wrote? There are some that just don't seem to exist, I've never seen Benjy and the Others and some that do but are virtually impossible to find, such as At Seaside Cottage which seems to appear only once in a blue moon :( . I don't think I'm going to even start collecting the magazines, it's enough collecting the books which for the most part aren't really cheap,I can't be doing with adding to it! Maybe when I've finished collecting the books I'll start on the magazines for the stories I don't have, but for now I'll stick with the books.

Sixret have you really got every book except one? What an amazing collection you must have! :D
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶