60 years ago this week...

Discuss Blyton's magazines, short stories and poetry here.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: 60 years ago this week...

Post by Rob Houghton »

Tony Summerfield wrote:I have already checked it and it has another three uncollected stories in it! :roll:
:twisted: :lol: You do a great job of scanning them for the cave though Tony. ;-)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

The postman really did deliver this fortnight's issue of Enid Blyton's Magazine to me - and it was well worth reading as always. Number 21, November 7th - 20th 1956.

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/maga ... ?magid=897

The cover shows an illustration from what is surely one of Enid's strangest short story titles - Whatever Happened To Pong? :shock: Another uncollected story and another with an uncredited illustrator. Lovely illustrations, as can be seen in The Cave - thanks to Tony. :-D

It's a nice little story - but I won't say too much about it, as I'm sure you'll read it for yourselves. Again, it has a moral - but it also has an amusing twist and manages to be very entertaining as always. One thing I did notice, between the text and the illustrations, is that the children seem much younger in Enid's narrative than they do in the illustrations - just my opinion.

The Editorial this time round is mainly about 'our little Children's Home in Beaconsfield' and how it takes 30 children, all under 5 - "ill children, unhappy children, children who have been cruelly treated, or half-starved, children whose mothers are in hospital, or maybe whose father is in prison. We do not say no to any child - we give them back their health and make them happy - and it is my Famous Five Club members who make much of this possible, as well as the publishers of the Famous Five books, who let us have the profit from the Famous Five badges."

She tells us how it costs £800 a month to pay the bills for the home, and each child costs £62 a year to feed. Much of this is helped by the fund raising done by members of the Famous Five Club - particularly the food bills.

Enid also tells us about her Noddy pantomime, which will be at The Stoll Theatre - I have a programme from this production, which lives in my hardback book of the play script. ;-) She explains that this time the Noddy pantomime will be on in the afternoons rather than the evenings...which makes sense to me - I'm surprised something like that had previously been on in the evening, as it is clearly aimed at very young children.

Next, we have the cover story, Whatever Happened To Pong? - and this is followed by Our Letter Page with the usual selection of letters from children about looking after sick animals and fund-raising. One little girl made a 'pram set' out of some pink and blue satin, stuffed with lamb's wool which they were given by her uncle, who is a shepherd. Another little girl, from Watchet in Somerset picked lots of flowers with her school friends and sent them to a 'poor school in Birmingham'

Next, another uncollected short story - probably my favourite from this issue - He Couldn't Stick Up For Himself. It's an interesting story for a few reasons - none of them intentional. I found it interesting that Enid calls throwing a boys cap around, leaping out at a child and shoving him into the gutter is just high spirits rather than anything more serious. Maybe it is just high spirits, but I couldn't help thinking that this sort of behaviour today would be classed as bullying. As someone who regularly had his pencil case/bag/PE kit thrown around the classroom and trampled on, I don't really think this sort of behaviour should just be accepted. However, the story is a good one, and I like the way in which Donald is encouraged to stand up for himself. Yu can read it for yourself. Marian Main is the illustrator...I'm not sure about her work...many of the faces seem to be a bit angry looking! ;-)

Next we have the Puzzle Page - the best puzzle this week is the Sunbeams' Puzzle -

John was half as old as Clive
In nineteen fifty-three
This year John's a boy of five
How old will Clive then be?

The Busy Bees have a good one too -

Can you name the capital of Mexico?

Next I see a great advert for Hornby Trains- and its a clockwork train - something I always wanted as a kid, mainly because I read about them a lot in books! I had an electric train - an old set belonging to my great uncle's son - but I guess we always want what we haven't got! One thing I was surprised about is that Hornby Trains were made by Meccano Limited.

Next - in Noddy Went Too Fast we see Noddy, helped by Gilbert Golly, as he tries to get his car and his job back off 'Mr Tinny' - who is taxiing Mr Jumbo to the station. he drives past, honking his horn, despite Noddy shouting 'Stop! Stop!'.

Five Go To Billycock Hill follows - Chapter 13 - A Dreadful Shock - all about how Jeff has been accused of stealing one of the very valuable planes the night before.

Next - another advert - this time for Noddy's Toy Station of Books

A snip at only 2 shillings. I was interested to read that, as these regularly go for £90 + on eBay these days!

The next short story is a very short one - Enid tells us its aimed at younger children and suggests her readers might read it to their younger brothers and sisters, and ask them to see if they can guess where the kitten is hidden. Can you guess before the end of the story? I did! ;-) The story is Where's The Kitten and seems to have been written just to fill in space! ;-) Again, the illustrations are uncredited. Read it in The Cave. :-D

Some Things To look For can also be read in The Cave. This time, Enid prompts us to pick up some fallen twigs and say which tree they are from. I think I would have a job to do this except with very well known trees! She also asks us to look out for Groundsel and Shepherd's Purse, which are both around at this time of year. We used to feed our rabbit Groundsel as a treat - but I was reading the other day that this is no longer recommended!

Next comes another chapter of the serial Secret Seven Mystery - Chapter 3 - Mostly About Elizabeth. I've never been a fan of the illustrator Burgess Sharrocks - his illustrations are okay, but seem a bit bland. However, its interesting that those he supplies for the magazine seem better drawn than those in the book!

Next we have an interesting advert for another talking doll - the 'Lifelike and life-size, the unique beautiful singing and speaking Darling Doll She 'speaks longest and clearest' and is 28 inches tall, with a dress designed by Mme Francine of Paris. She speaks in a 'REAL CHILD'S VOICE' (creepy!) and recites Mary Had A Little Lamb and Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, as well as singing London Bridge Is Falling Down. She also prays 'Now I lay me down to sleep' and she sits and walks realistically. She also has what the advert calls 'a replaceable voice' - whatever that means! She has a 'beautiful face and complexion', 'bright sparkling sleeping eyes, pearly teeth, and 'brushable curly hair'. What a doll! And all for 10 s deposit and 18 weekly payments of 5s. :shock: I wonder if 'pester power' was around in 1956?

Lastly, Our News-Sheet where Enid tells us some remarkable news (I thought) - that 'about a thousand new Famous Five Club members joined us in the last month' wow! I never realised just how popular the Famous Five club was back then, or how many Famous Five badges must be out there somewhere.

Enid also tells us that the Enid Blyton Diary for 1957 is out now in bookshops. Sure enough, there's a full page advert for this on the back cover - and it sounds even better than I imagined. I've tried to win one of these many times on eBay and always lost out. I remain hopeful! The 1957 diary contains 12 full colour full page pictures of birds, flowers and creatures of the sea, Enid Blyton's clubs, Enid Blyton's books, Puzzles and games for parties, how to grow bulbs, how to form a club, Riddles and facts for each week, clouds in the sky etc.

And so ends this fortnight's issue of Enid Blyton's Magazine. :-D What a great issue! I'm off to buy an Enid Blyton Diary!! ;-)
Last edited by Rob Houghton on 06 Nov 2016, 17:22, edited 1 time in total.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

Super post Rob, almost as good as reading the magazine for oneself. I would have hated receiving that doll as a present, I would have much preferred the Hornby train set. Best of luck in finding a 1957 EB diary, it's amazing how much merchandising there was back then. Now I'm off to read the stories in the Cave.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Another great write-up, Rob, and thanks to Tony too for adding the stories to the Cave.
Rob Houghton wrote:Enid also tells us about her Noddy pantomime, which will be at The Stoll Theatre - I have a programme from this production, which lives in my hardback book of the play script. ;-) She explains that this time the Noddy pantomime will be on in the afternoons rather than the evenings...which makes sense to me - I'm surprised something like that had previously been on in the evening, as it is clearly aimed at very young children.
Yes, putting a Noddy pantomime on in the evening does sound like a bad decision. I wonder how many youngsters fell asleep and missed the end?!
Rob Houghton wrote:One little girl made a 'pram set' out of some pink and blue satin, stuffed with lamb's wool which they were given by her uncle, who is a shepherd. Another little girl, from Watchet in Somerset picked lots of flowers with her school friends and sent them to a 'poor school in Birmingham'
It's heartwarming to hear about these enterprising children. I don't think many people these days realise what a massive inspiration Enid Blyton was and how she prompted boys and girls around the world to do their bit to help others.
Rob Houghton wrote:Next I see a great advert for Hornby Trains- and its a clockwork train - something I always wanted as a kid, mainly because I read about them a lot in books! I had an electric train - an old set belonging to my great uncle's son - but I guess we always want what we haven't got! One thing I was surprised about is that Hornby Trains were made by Meccano Limited.
My sister and I had an electric Hornby train set and had hours of fun playing with it. We couldn't afford to buy the proper Hornby accessories so we used a generic plastic farm set and generic cardboard kits to make houses etc. That meant the figures, trees and buildings were out of scale and towered over the trains, but in our imagination everything was perfect! We had figures of children and used them to re-enact Famous Five stories like Five Go Off to Camp, as well as making up our own Famous Five adventures. Timmy was a border collie like the one in the 1970s Famous Five series because that was the breed of dog that was included in the farm set for rounding up the sheep.
Rob Houghton wrote:The 1957 diary contains 12 full colour full page pictures of birds, flowers and creatures of the sea, Enid Blyton's clubs, Enid Blyton's books, Puzzles and games for parties, how to grow bulbs, how to form a club, Riddles and facts for each week, clouds in the sky etc.
The diaries sound very interesting. I'd have loved one as a child, though I never did manage to continue with a diary beyond about April!

Of the three stories, 'He Couldn't Stick Up For Himself' is my favourite. Enid Blyton wrote a number of tales in which a person who lacks courage/confidence finds that s/he is able to be brave if it helps someone else. I was surprised to see the phrase "cowardly-custard" at the end as it's normally "cowardy-custard".

'Whatever Happened to Pong?' is an enjoyable story too, with the conflict between Paul and Anna. The amazing coincidence is rather hard to swallow though!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Another great review, Rob. I had a Hornby train set too and a school friend used to help me make station buildings and platforms from cardboard kits. I would have liked an Enid Blyton diary but unfortunately, I've never seen one.
Of the three illustrators used in the hardback editions of the Secret Seven, Burgess Sharrocks is my least favourite too. I much prefer the work of George Brook and particularly Bruno Kay.
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I think I like Bruno Kay best, too. His illustrations, and those of George Brook were full of life. :-)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

John Pickup wrote:I had a Hornby train set too and a school friend used to help me make station buildings and platforms from cardboard kits.
It was very satisfying seeing them take shape. My sister and I created a street of buildings along one side of the board to which the railway track was fixed. I recall that one building was a theatre, or perhaps a cinema, showing Fiddler on the Roof.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I loved the story of He Couldn't Stick Up for Himself.

Enid sent such good messages to her readers with these interesting little stories. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Another superb write-up. Many thanks, Rob. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Agreed, Eddie. Thanks Rob for your continued commenting on these magazines - and for Tony for adapting them for transmission!
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Thank you both! Anything that encourages people to explore The Cave more often has to be a good thing! That was my initial reasoning behind the reviews...and now that Tony is posting some of the uncollected short stories there it is really worthwhile! :-D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

May I ask, who was that person, Rob? :D

Another great story. The first one. I have noticed that the first story is longer than the others. So the story build-up is more interesting and exciting. :D

As always, thank you Rob and Tony. Keep 'em coming. :D :D :D
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

By the way, if I could suggest that you put the link of that particular issue at the bottom of your write-up, then it would be great and easier for us readers and it will be appreciated. Thank you. :D
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

sixret wrote:By the way, if I could suggest that you put the link of that particular issue at the bottom of your write-up, then it would be great and easier for us readers and it will be appreciated. Thank you. :D
I actually have done that with my latest review. :-D I put it at the top under the picture of the magazine, so it can be looked at as the review is read, rather than at the end.

Pleased you like the stories! :-D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

My EB Magazine arrived a bit late this fortnight as you can see! Finally it arrived, and I've read it with gusto as always - another great issue, with lots of great stories.

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/maga ... ?magid=898

My first thought was - what a great cover! I love this illustrator - Anne Read - she draws children so well, and like Grace Lodge, she gives the stories a 'classic' feel. The cover is an illustration from the first story 'The Two Money Boxes - which Tony has kindly reproduced in the cave - (follow the link above). Its an unusual story, partly because it talks about Christmas and takes place just after, despite this being a November magazine. It is also based on a true story - as Enid tells us at the end. I often think how bowled over I would have been if I'd been able to write such a letter to Enid and then found that she'd turned it into a short story! Wow! What an honour! :-D.

Next, we have the usual Editorial in which Enid tells us all her news. Unfortunately part of this is missing in my copy, as the cover is ripped, but Enid tells us all about the Love-Apple League, who are holding a big convention, to which will be invited representatives of The Famous Five Club and The Magazine Club. I can't imagine this happening nowadays, but maybe it would. It involves children between the ages of 10 and 14 being away from home for a week and 'private families' have 'offered to take these eight lucky children into their homes during the convention...' I can hardly imagine the paperwork and police checks this sort of thing would necessitate these days!

Enid also promises us a new Mr Pink-Whistle story in the next issue of the magazine, as so many children have written asking for one. ENid tells us how when Mr Pink-Whistle walks on stage in the Noddy Pantomime, he is always greeted by cheers and whistles, because he is such a well-loved character. She also gives us brief details about The Famous Five Play - which will start the week before Christmas at the Hippodrome theatre in London.

After the short story of The Two Money Boxes we have the Puzzle Page - and as well as all the usual puzzles, there's a nice challenge for the Famous Five Prize Puzzle this time around. Enid asks -

How many words can you make from the letters in BIG EARS? Yes, of course, there are BIG and EARS, but there are also more than twenty others, not counting plurals. If you can find more than twenty, you may win a prize. - so come on folks - how many words can YOU find in 'BIG EARS'? :D

Next follows Good Idea, Amelia Jane - a really nice Amelia Jane story, which eventually was republished in Enid Blyton's Bedtime Annual 1983 I have a few of these annuals, so presume I must have read it there, as I remembered it quite well. Its a very satisfying Amelia Jane story from the point of view that she isn't just naughty but also very helpful, and manages to save the day. One of Amelia Jane's strengths, I always feel, is that she is brave and quite kindhearted as well as mischievous, and this particular story illustrates this very well.

Next, chapter 4 of Secret Seven Mystery - Jumble for Mrs Sonning. Again, there's a wonderful illustration by Burgess Sharrocks. I'm impressed with his work for the Magazine - which is quite different to the work he did for the books! Still not the best Secret Seven illustrator ever, but somehow more pleasing in the magazine.

An advert follows for Books For Christmas - and not just Enid Blyton books, although her book 'Five On A Secret Trail' leads the list, followed by The Green Poodles by Charlotte Baker, Jill's Riding Club by Ruby Ferguson, Green Sailors and Fair WInds by Gilbert Hackforth-Jones, Now To The Stars by Capt W E Johns, and Maori Jack's Monster by Frank Crisp. Make your choice for Christmas, readers! :-D

This time, in Noddy Went Too Fast! Noddy is still trying to get his car and house back from 'Mr Tinny', who has stolen his business and his home! Gilbert Golly is the hero here, cycling Noddy around Toyland in an effort to help him. They cycle to Noddy's house but - oh dear! - poor Noddy finds himself locked out of his own house! :cry:

Next, in Five Go To Billycock Hill we see the children's suspicions about the butterfly men growing, as Mr Gringle Is Annoyed, and The Five begin to think that Will Jane's is posing as Mr Brent! ;-)

We have an exciting advert for the new Noddy Theatre - which states -

What about a NODDY TOY THEATRE for Christmas? There are Noddy and his friends to move about on wires, two sets of scenery and even a real curtain to go up and down. No need to learn the words, for there are two booklets containing three Noddy plays, written by Enid Blyton... What innocent times those were, when children would have loved such a gift at Christmas - no batteries, no virtual reality, no screen, no internet connection required! How things have changed!

It's interesting to read the Club News in this issue - particularly Our November Birthday Cake as the boy who wins a free birthday cake this month is Magazine Club member peter Smith of Streatham, who will be 12 years old on November 23rd. Interesting that he was 12. I know I was still reading Enid Blyton books even at 13 and 14, but I think many 12 year-olds would consider themselves above such things these days. :-(

Enid also tells us of a 'special competition' to win an invitation to 'our party' to celebrate reaching the 100,000 Magazine Club Member. All club leaders must write an essay of 500 words detailing the things their club group get up to and the winner will be picked on 7th December.

Next - another short story - and I bet Tony was pleased to see that this issue there is only one story that was 'uncollected'. This next one - All The Way And Back Again is another that featured in a Bedtime Annual - this time in 1973. Its a simple story of the knock-on effect of a bird trying to catch a spider, and is very well written and amusing. The bird tries to catch the spider, a cat tries to catch the bird, a dog chases the cat, a boy hits the dog with a stick, the boy is chased by an angry woman for hitting the dog, and the spider scares the old woman. An amusing story of consequences. Interestingly, this story is illustrated by someone called 'Nora' - but her style is very close to that of Grace Lodge. At the end of it, Enid encourages her readers to write there own version of such a story.

Next we have Our Letter Page dedicated to letters from members of Enid's 'Sunbeams'. Sheila Brown, from Glasgow, tells us how she is sending Enid 21 shillings - which she earned by selling firewood at 3d a bundle. Sheila did a talk at school for the teacher and pupils all about her hobby and how she sells firewood, and all agreed it was a very good idea! Then there was Jill Elliott and Dilys Winocour from Scunthorpe, who held an exhibition of foreign dolls, musical boxes and wood carvings and earned £3 12s 6d for The Sunbeams - and Margaret Grimes, who saved up pennies each week out of her pocket money until she was able to donate £1. Enid certainly brought out the best qualities in her many readers.

Something in the next page of adverts caught my eye - the 'official' Robin Hood Outfit - to fit boys aged 4 - 10 years featuring a green suade jacket with 'striking red contrast' 'beautifully printed and fully fringed', a quiver and a wide belt for 9s 11d. Also a Maid Marian outfit for the same price. 'colourful hat and feather 1 and 6 extra! ;-) I didn't realise Robin Hood wore a fringed jacket! And there are no mention of tights, lol! :lol:

lastly we have Our News-Sheet - and an interesting story regarding prize winners for 'best Busy Bees' - two girls who featured in newspapers for their bravery in helping an animal in distress. Its an awful story about how two girls heard some fox hounds 'in full cry' and going to investigate they found the foxhounds were tossing a cat into the air. The two girls, Kathleen and Moira moore of Stock, Ingatestone, Essex, dived in and rescued the cat, but the hounds leapt up again and tore the cat out of Kathleen's hands, biting her in the process. The two girls new then that there was nothing else to be done and couldn't help the cat any further, but had to watch helplessly as it met its end. Enid asks 'Now, all Busy Bees are animal lovers - but if a test of our love came, how many of us would stand up to it as valiantly as those two girls did? Do you wonder that I am proud of them and have awarded them my special prize?'. What a terrible story! :-(

Enid tells us more about the latest Enid Blyton Diary - and how I wish I owned one! I've looked on eBay but they always go for such vast sums...£50 - £90 easily. Enid asks her readers to feel free to suggest items and ideas to be included in the next Diary for 1958 - as she wil be starting work on it in the New Year. She suggests that anyone who wants the latest 1957 Diary should buy it early, as it looks as if there will not be a single one left by Christmas-time.

Now...how many words can I find in 'BIG EARS'...? :lol:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member