60 years ago this week...

Discuss Blyton's magazines, short stories and poetry here.
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Re: 60 years ago this week...

Post by sixret »

Thank you so much, Tony. Will read those 2 stories this morning. :D
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Thanks for the stories Tony. Tit for Tat is very similar to one I've just read in Tales After Supper. That's called Too-Little Tommy, and he too has an uncle who gives him something which he initially doesn't share with older children because they won't let him join in. That story was first published in Sunny Stories in June 1944, so it is unlikely that someone reading Tit for Tat in 1956 would notice the similarity.

I think Enid was clever in the way she could recycle a story, but make it sufficiently different to feel as if it was a completely new one. For example, the original story was just about Tommy, the later one features twins.

I wonder if there really could have been such a wonderful doll as Jane receives?

Is it me, or does the doll appear to be called Amabel? I've never heard that before, and wonder if it should have been Annabel?
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Katharine wrote: Is it me, or does the doll appear to be called Amabel? I've never heard that before, and wonder if it should have been Annabel?
No, Amabel is a real name, though not very common now — apparently Mabel is the short form of it and overtook the original name in popularity. E. Nesbit wrote a short story called The Aunt and Amabel (I just found it online!) — which incidentally must have been an inspiration for C.S. Lewis (who was a fan of Nesbit's stories as a child), since it's all about a little girl who enters a magic land through a wardrobe... :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I also read 'The Aunt and Amabel' a while ago and thought that it probably influenced C. S. Lewis, Courtenay.

Thanks for the stories, Tony. 'Something Went Wrong!' is amusing. As a child I loved tales in which young miscreants got their comeuppance!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Thanks for adding them, Tony! :-D

I agree about stories where miscreants got their comeuppance - they were my favourite stories, too! 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Thanks for the stories, Tony. Something Went Wrong reminds me of a boy I was with at primary school, he was very good at arithmetic and he was called Alan.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Really enjoying these stories. :D
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

It's time to open up the next issue of Enid Blyton's Magazine and sample its delights!

Another great issue, the cover depicts a scene from the story 'The Fire Work Club which is another uncollected short story - but never fear - I see it is already in The Cave. Thanks Tony! :-D Along with the other two uncollected short stories from this issue -

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/maga ... ?magid=896

Its a great story all about a boy and the trouble he goes to in order to earn money to give to The Firework Club he belongs to - and how he is constantly thwarted in his efforts by his own kindness! Again, the illustrations aren't credited either - which is a shame - some really nice illustrations.

One thing I find interesting about this story (and the Secret Seven firework stories) is the attitude towards children lighting fireworks and setting them off - something the children do with no questions asked, or without, so it seems, any adult supervision at all. Enid supports this - and in fact doesn't even question it. How times have changed!

The Editorial this week is quit interesting - Enid tells us more about the Famous Five film she has been watching being shot in Dorset. She was obviously very proud of it and quite involved in it. She tells us -

How you would have loved watching it! In the distance was the castle we are using for Kirrin Castle, and I stood beside the bay that will now be Kirrin Bay. The four children were there - and Timmy the dog of course - and honestly they might have been straight out of the F.F. books! george with her rumpled short curly hair, leaping about in shorts - Anne, following - Julian getting the boat to sail across Kirrin Bay - and Dick doing some acrobatics on the nearby rocks, leaping most dangerously from one to another, with Timmy barking madly. You would really have thought that it was a scene straight from 'Five On A Treasure Island' - and so it will be, of course, when you see it in the film. I watched them pile into their boat, waving wildly to me, Timmy standing with his front feet on the edge of the boat, just as he loves to do in the stories. Away they went over the rough sea, tossing up and down on the big waves, to act one of the scenes in the book. Lucky children!

She goes on to tell us how she has also been choosing children to play the parts in the Noddy pantomime and Famous Five play, then tells us about the numbers of books children have written to tell her they have. Enid is pleased that children who have written to her have so many books - some children have as many as 200+ (though presumably not all Enid Blyton books!) and one boy in New Zealand has 395 books! Enid is very impressed by this, and declares him a record holder. I wonder what she would have made of all us adults who have even bigger collections of children's books! ;-)

Enid goes on to say 'I am keeping all your cards out of interest so that I can show them to anyone who says that children do not read nowadays! little do they know what bookworms you are! Seems even in 1956 there was talk amongst adults that children didn't read any more! Some things never change!

Enid also warns her readers about Bonfire night - about taking care of pets and making sure they aren't scared, as sometimes dogs and cats will run away scared. She tells of one cat who ran away for several days and returned with its paws worn down and cut to pieces from all the running it had done.

Next we have Our Letter Page and an interesting letter from Rosslyn Shaw from Congo Belge. Enid announces that it isn't often she receives letters from there! Rosslyn tells us that she belongs to The Famous Five Club and the members recently collected money to help some children in a home 'just like those in your home,; she writes, 'but black, not white'. Enid replies 'I am very pleased to hear that my F.F. members over there are doing for small black children what F.F. members here do for the little white ones' Not a hint of racism there - just a woman talking from a different era, and classing all colours as worthy of help - a woman who saw all little children as equals.

Next we have chapter two of Secret Seven Mystery a book most of us are familiar with. How exciting to read this for the first time, fortnight by fortnight! As a child, this was one of my favourite Secret Seven books - and I was completely baffled by the whereabouts of the runaway girl.

Next - Puzzle Page The Famous Five quiz would have been very challenging to me as a child - maths was never my strong point! -

To half a hundred and twenty-four
Add three times twenty-seven,
When you've got the answer right,
Divide it by eleven
:shock:

Next comes another uncollected short story - Keep Out!an amusing but rather inconsequential tale, I thought. Quite entertaining as always - but maybe a bit predictable - about what happens when children ignore the notice on a field gate. Read it in The Cave. :-)

Next we have an advert for 'Odhams Encyclopaedia For Children' - endorsed by Enid Blyton 'I am delighted' says Miss Blyton - 'yours for only 5 shillings down!' (plus three monthly payments of 6 shillings 7d.

In Noddy Went Too Fast this week, Gilbert Golly helps Noddy go in search of Mr Tinny, who has pinched Noddy's car and is living in Noddy's house while he was being nursed back to health at Big Ears' house. Interesting that Gilbert Golly is a hero - helping Noddy - NOT mugging him! ;-)

Next - Five Go To Billycock Hill - chapter 12 - and the Five explore the Billycock Caves - where they hear strange whistling noises, and then a strange howling begins! -exciting stuff!

Another uncollected short story follows after the painting page (get out your paints and colour the picture of two monkeys, and you could win THREE Enid Blyton books! What a great prize! I know my mom entered this competition when she was a child, but sadly she didn't win a prize. :-(

The story that follows, A Smart Piece Of Work - is a really quite tense story, given its short length. Parts of it - particularly the opening - remind me of The Six Bad Boys - with Jim having a 'latch key' and having to 'see to the kitchen fire and draw all the curtains' for when his mother returns - but it soon becomes a quite thrilling tale about a burglar. Very exciting - and I must say, I think Jim was a lot braver than I would have been!

Next - some Christmas Noddy toys - who would like the 'Noddy Leap Frog Game'? I think I would have loved it! Its a 'game that is new and different' and 'provides endless excitement, laughs, and lots of fun' - who could resist? ;-)

Then again - an advert we've seen before, for the Noddy Sculptorcraft set. I could make Anita a Noddy model so she can throw things at it... ;-)

Some Things To Look For includes toads, which will now be under stones sleeping, and are 'our friends' as they eat harmful insects. Enid also tells us to look out for all the different colours of the trees - particularly the golden beeches which are 'the most beautiful' trees we can see at this time of year.

In Our News-Sheet Enid has more news of her recent trip to Dorset - and tells how she 'happened to be in a bookshop - and there, examining the books in the children's section, were four children wearing our magazine badge - in fact one boy wore four badges - the F.F. badge, Magazine Club badge and The Busy Bees. You can guess how surprised they were to see me' How wonderful to be in a bookshop and be approached by Enid Blyton! :D

Lastly, Enid tells us how happy she is that so many children are enjoying the Noddy programme on ITV - and tells us we can buy puppets of Noddy and Big Ears in most toy shops - as children have written asking her if they are available.

Thanks to Tony for posting the uncollected short stories - being able to read them really brings what I write here to life - and gives those who don't have any Magazines the chance to see just what great stories they contained. 8)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

A big thank you to Rob and Tony. I've really enjoyed reading the résumé of the magazine - and the stories too.

'The Firework Club' is an excellent story with lots of obstacles, dilemmas and temptations. I agree with Rob that 'A Smart Piece of Work!' is also very tense and enjoyable, though it's lucky that the house has locks on the internal doors! I don't think I've come across the phrase "a ladder-burglar" anywhere else. It obviously means a burglar who uses a ladder, but it sounds as though it could mean a burglar who steals ladders! 'Keep Out!' is rather a tame story but teaches a valuable lesson. Great illustrations for all three.
Rob Houghton wrote:Next we have Our Letter Page and an interesting letter from Rosslyn Shaw from Congo Belge. Enid announces that it isn't often she receives letters from there! Rosslyn tells us that she belongs to The Famous Five Club and the members recently collected money to help some children in a home 'just like those in your home,; she writes, 'but black, not white'. Enid replies 'I am very pleased to hear that my F.F. members over there are doing for small black children what F.F. members here do for the little white ones' Not a hint of racism there - just a woman talking from a different era, and classing all colours as worthy of help - a woman who saw all little children as equals.
Rob Houghton wrote:In Noddy Went Too Fast this week, Gilbert Golly helps Noddy go in search of Mr Tinny, who has pinched Noddy's car and is living in Noddy's house while he was being nursed back to health at Big Ears' house. Interesting that Gilbert Golly is a hero - helping Noddy - NOT mugging him! ;-)
I wish that critics who have labelled Enid Blyton "racist" could read these wonderful magazines. I remember another editorial letter in which Enid describes the children's home in Beaconsfield (for which the Famous Five Club raised money) as being "just like the United Nations," full of beautiful children of a number of different races all playing together.
Rob Houghton wrote:Then again - an advert we've seen before, for the Noddy Sculptorcraft set. I could make Anita a Noddy model so she can throw things at it... ;-)
I'm not that heartless! :wink:
Rob Houghton wrote:In Our News-Sheet Enid has more news of her recent trip to Dorset - and tells how she 'happened to be in a bookshop - and there, examining the books in the children's section, were four children wearing our magazine badge - in fact one boy wore four badges - the F.F. badge, Magazine Club badge and The Busy Bees.'
Had he lost one? :wink: Those children must have been thrilled when Enid Blyton suddenly appeared!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:
Rob Houghton wrote:In Our News-Sheet Enid has more news of her recent trip to Dorset - and tells how she 'happened to be in a bookshop - and there, examining the books in the children's section, were four children wearing our magazine badge - in fact one boy wore four badges - the F.F. badge, Magazine Club badge and The Busy Bees.'
Had he lost one? :wink: Those children must have been thrilled when Enid Blyton suddenly appeared!
My typo! Should have read 'one boy wore three badges'...! :oops:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Thanks, Rob, for the latest magazine instalment. I enjoyed reading the short stories although Keep Out was very predictable. I can remember reading Secret Seven Mystery for the first time and being completely baffled as to Elizabeth's whereabouts.
What a wonderful surprise for those children in the bookshop to have their favourite author stood beside them. I wish I'd been one of them.
Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

Thank you again Rob and Tony. Nice to see the nature feature 'Things to look for' too.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Rob Houghton wrote:The Editorial this week is quit interesting - Enid tells us more about the Famous Five film she has been watching being shot in Dorset. She was obviously very proud of it and quite involved in it. She tells us -

How you would have loved watching it! In the distance was the castle we are using for Kirrin Castle, and I stood beside the bay that will now be Kirrin Bay. The four children were there - and Timmy the dog of course - and honestly they might have been straight out of the F.F. books! george with her rumpled short curly hair, leaping about in shorts - Anne, following - Julian getting the boat to sail across Kirrin Bay - and Dick doing some acrobatics on the nearby rocks, leaping most dangerously from one to another, with Timmy barking madly. You would really have thought that it was a scene straight from 'Five On A Treasure Island' - and so it will be, of course, when you see it in the film. I watched them pile into their boat, waving wildly to me, Timmy standing with his front feet on the edge of the boat, just as he loves to do in the stories. Away they went over the rough sea, tossing up and down on the big waves, to act one of the scenes in the book. Lucky children!
Seem like self-advertising to me and she has every right to do so! :D
Thanks to Tony for posting the uncollected short stories - being able to read them really brings what I write here to life - and gives those who don't have any Magazines the chance to see just what great stories they contained. 8)
Hear! Hear! :D

And thanks to you too, Rob. :D

I agree with Anita, that The Fire Work Club and A Smart Piece of Work are considered(in my opinion) to be excellent judging from her own standard. The standard is not your typical Blyton(above her usual) but the stories have her typical themes. I have been reading her short stories collection back to back and these two stories have struck me as if she has outdone herself. All the exciting elements are there! The Fire Work Club uses her typical moral value theme but told in an interesting manner. The other uses adventure/mystery theme told in limited space. The story starts with "a bang" and ends with "a bang". Excellent short stories in this issue. Pity both of them are not collected in book form!
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Thank you Sixret - and thanks to a very kind EB member I now have the next issue - Number 21 - which was the only EB Magazine from 1956 I didn't have, so I can continue my reviews this weekend! :-D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I have already checked it and it has another three uncollected stories in it! :roll: