60 years ago this week...

Discuss Blyton's magazines, short stories and poetry here.
Tony Summerfield

Re: 60 years ago this week...

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I believe that Noddy was one of the earliest programmes to be screened when ITV was launched in the UK. His first appearance was in 'Hello Little Noddy' on Sunday September 25th 1955 at 4.45pm. (I am a mine of useless information! :oops: )

Wikipedia tells me that ITV was launched in the London area on September 22nd 1955.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I always go by the date my dad first had a television - 1952 - but I guess this was fairly early compared to many people. Of course, that was just BBC! 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Thanks for the latest instalment of the magazine, Rob. I enjoyed the short story, A Surprise For Henry, it reminds me of the very stern telling-off I got for throwing stones when I was about six or seven. There was an embankment overlooking a goods yard on the railway near to where I lived and several of us would attempt to throw stones into the coal trucks in the sidings. We didn't realise that our stones might have hit the men working in the yard. :oops:
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

And so here we are looking at the very last Enid Blyton Magazine of 1956! Number 24 - 19th December - 1st January 1957.

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/maga ... ?magid=900

It's another great issue, with three uncollected short stories - and what great stories they are, too! The cover, unusually, doesn't feature an illustration from any of these stories (although it is sort of relevant to one of them, which features a robin quite prominently!) - but is just a special 'Christmas Issue' cover, with Enid wishing her readers 'A Very happy Christmas to you all!'

As usual the Editorial is full of interesting news - Enid tells us of all the many interesting cards she has received from her many readers. She says "Plenty of cards have already arrived from you boys and girls, and they look lovely all round my room. I do wish I could send every one of my readers a card, but that would be impossible I fear!

Given the current world problems with displaced children and immigrants and refugees, its interesting to note what Enid talks about in her editorial - a sad sign that not much changes -

Many of us are planning to make Christmas happy for other people besides our own families - especially this year, when so many people have had to leave their country and their homes, and are refugees in lands strange to them. One of the things I have thought about is whether we might take two little Hungarian children, under five, into our happy Children's Home here, and look after them lovingly, just as we look after all the other small children there. We so often take foreign children, as you know, and this year we have had greek brothers, four little Indian children, two Cypriots and some West Indians. They all settle down well with our British children and are cheerful and happy."

And this woman is racist?

Enid goes on to tell us that as she hasn't yet heard of any Hungarian children who have come over here without their parents, she will instead send a donation to the Hungarian Relief Fund instead, including her own donation plus a donation from the Famous Five Club and any other children who might wish to donate.

Enid also tells us about a 'special treat' for 'one of the children's hospitals in London' - Instead of sending toys by post, I have arranged for Noddy, Big-Ears and Silky the Pixie, who are all in the 'Noddy In Toyland' pantomime, to visit a big children's hospital on Christmas Eve and hand out toys to the children. Imagine what the ill boys and girls will think when suddenly they see Noddy and his friends coming into their ward!'

I couldn't help wondering if they would think they were delirious! :lol:

Enid finishes the Editorial by saying Happy Christmas children - and may your stockings be filled from top to toe - and overflow on to your beds!

Next, we have the first short story, The Little Reindeer Bell - an interesting one, which runs along the usual lines - children helping out Santa Claus and being rewarded - but this time the reward is a little surprising and there's a pleasant 'twist' at the end of the story. A really nice Christmas tale! :-D The illustrations for this are uncredited - but they are not unlike Hilda McGavin in style.

Next - the continuing story of Secret Seven Mystery - chapter 6 - and we find out what happens up at the stables...

The Puzzle Page has its usual share of puzzles which were prize-winning puzzles - signed books to be won. Three story-book characters for the Sunbeams to untangle -

PETER COPPERFIELD
DAVID CRUSOE
ROBINSON PAN

Next we have another uncollected story - Joey's Here! Joey's Here! - an entertaining story, but one I couldn't help thinking was a little far-fetched. It features a budgie and a robin, and as with all Enid's stories, it happens to be very effective, even though it relies heavily on birds thinking like humans! ;-) Once again the illustrations aren't credited - and its amazing what great uncredited illustrations the EB Magazine often had. Such a shame the artist went without credit!

Next - Some Things To look For - including animal tracks in the snow - rabbit tracks, cat and dog, weasel, stoat and maybe a fox. Its easy to tell a foxes prints because he leaves his tail-mark in the snow when he stands still!

Enid also suggests we make a Christmas tree for the birds, hung about with coconut and biscuits and bacon rind. She tells us - you don't need any ornaments - the birds themselves will be prettier than any ornaments as they sit pecking in their tree - which I thought was a brilliant observation to make! :-D

Next we have a full-page advert for some books you might like to ask for as last-minute Christmas presents. Never one to be shy of promoting her own books, these are all Enid Blyton offerings - Holiday House, Rainy Day Stories, Animal Lover's Book, Nature Lover's Book, Round the Year With Enid Blyton, Enid Blyton's Book of the Year, Six Cousins at Mistletoe Farm, Six Cousins Again and Enid Blyton's Magazine Annual Number 3 I'm afraid I would have been at a loss to know which to choose...can I have all of them? Funnily enough, I DO have them all as an adult!

Next - another exciting instalment of Noddy Went Too Fast! - that title should be read in a dramatic American accent like a Hollywood blockbuster trailer. ;-) In this episode, Noddy reports the doings of Mr Tinny to Mr Plod, who dashes off to arrest him. Noddy is overcome with tiredness and begins to feel ill (after all, he's only just got out of bed after a couple of weeks recuperation!) and so he asks Gilbert Golly to take him back to Big Ears' House. :-)

This is followed by Five Go To Billycock Hill - 'Looking Through Windows' - chapter 16. We all know the story (or most of us do) - and I know its not everyone's favourite Famous Five, but I've always quite liked it, and love the mysterious night-time goings-on!

Two more adverts follow - for Enid's new book Let's Have a Party with photos by Paul Kaye of Tinker the kitten and Floppy the puppy, getting ready for their party. These are clever books, and I often wonder how some of the photographs were achieved. I hope they weren't achieved by applying any cruelty to the animals involved!

The other advert is for FOYLES bookshop - 'The World's Greatest Bookshop' which supplies 'all books by Miss Enid Blyton and all books recommended by her'

In Club News Enid excitedly announces that the Magazine club now has their 100,000 member - Linda Hooks of Orpington, Kent. She is to attend the tea party on January 2nd where she will be able to meet Enid Blyton and also some other Magazine Club members. Typically, now the 100,000 member has been reached, Enid is looking forward to when they can celebrate the 200,000 member!

A Ship Called Storm-rider is the last of three uncollected short stories in this issue - and I love the title - an unusual one for Enid Blyton. Its a good story - though perhaps doesn't quite live up to the promise of the title, which sounds adventurous and maybe historical. Its a nice one, about borrowing things, paying the price for doing so without asking, and being forgiven - themes we are all familiar with when we know Enid's stories well. Its illustrated by Anne Read and is a nice winter-themed one, as are all the stories in this Christmas issue.

Next Enid offers us a poem, titled 'A Christmas Carol' - a poem I've read a few times before. It appears in 'Enid Blyton's Book of the Year' -

"We saw Him there," the oxen said,
"He had our manger for his bed"

"I percehd upon a beam above;
He heard me cooing," said the dove,

The donkey brayed, "So warm he lay
Because I gave Him all my hay"

I wish that we, too, could have crept
To kiss Him gently as He slept.

It's listed as 'illustrations uncredited' in The Cave - but there's little mistaking the style of Eileen Soper's illustrations - presumably taken straight from 'Enid Blyton's Book of the Year'. 8)

And so finally to Our Letter Page where Enid dedicates the whole page to just one letter - from 'The Secret Seven Club - Pembroke Dock, Wales. Yes - a real Secret Seven Club! She and her friends are making miniature gardens for an exhibition, raffling one of them, as well as raising money for the Sunbeams charity. The girls who form the club (yep - no boys!) also got their exhibition in the local papers and raised 'the enormous sum' (for 1956) of £28 and 7s, divided between The Sunbeams and the Centre for Spastic Children.

Thank you for accompanying me on this look through the Magazines for the last few months - and hopefully we will continue through 1957 when we will once again see what happened '60 Years Ago This Week...'

8)
Last edited by Rob Houghton on 18 Dec 2016, 00:10, edited 2 times in total.
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

I think I now know what I will be doing this afternoon, Rob! :lol:
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Rob Houghton wrote:Given the current world problems with displaced children and immigrants and refugees, its interesting to note what Enid talks about in her editorial - a sad sign that not much changes -

Many of us are planning to make Christmas happy for other people besides our own families - especially this year, when so many people have had to leave their country and their homes, and are refugees in lands strange to them. One of the things I have thought about is whether we might take two little Hungarian children, under five, into our happy Children's Home here, and look after them lovingly, just as we look after all the other small children there. We so often take foreign children, as you know, and this year we have had greek brothers, four little Indian children, two Cypriots and some West Indians. They all settle down well with our British children and are cheerful and happy."

And this woman is racist?

Enid goes on to tell us that as she hasn't yet heard of any Hungarian children who have come over here without their parents, she will instead send a donation to the Hungarian Relief Fund instead, including her own donation plus a donation from the Famous Five Club and any other children who might wish to donate.
Enid Blyton's editorials contain some revealing and thought-provoking comments. I hope that some of the critics who have dubbed Enid Blyton "racist" will get to read this!
Rob Houghton wrote:Next we have a full-page advert for some books you might like to ask for as last-minute Christmas presents. Never one to be shy of promoting her own books, these are all Enid Blyton offerings - Holiday House, Rainy Day Stories, Animal Lover's Book, Nature Lover's Book, Round the Year With Enid Blyton, Enid Blyton's Book of the Year, Six Cousins at Mistletoe Farm, Six Cousins Again and Enid Blyton's Magazine Annual Number 3 I'm afraid I would have been at a loss to know which to choose...can I have all of them?
It's extremely hard to choose but if I could only have one I'd pick Enid Blyton's Book of the Year because it's a stonking read and can be dipped into again and again. The short plays are fun to act out too.
Rob Houghton wrote:The other advert is for FOYLES bookshop - 'The World's Greatest Bookshop' which supplies 'all books by Miss Enid Blyton and all books recommended by her'
It's still going, of course, and still stocks plenty of Enid Blyton books - though it quite recently moved to a different building just a little further along Charing Cross Road.
Rob Houghton wrote:And so finally to Our Letter Page where Enid dedicates the whole page to just one letter - from 'The Secret Seven Club - Pembroke Dock, Wales. Yes - a real Secret Seven Club! She and her friends are making miniature gardens for an exhibition, raffling one of them, as well as raising money for the Sunbeams charity. The girls who form the club (yep - no boys!) also got their exhibition in the local papers and raised 'the enormous sum' (for 1956) of £28 and 7s, divided between The Sunbeams and the Centre for Spastic Children.
What an inspiration! Enid's readers certainly came up with some imaginative ways of raising money for charity.
Tony Summerfield wrote:I think I now know what I will be doing this afternoon, Rob! :lol:
It would be greatly appreciated! :wink:
Rob Houghton wrote:Thank you for accompanying me on this look through the Magazines for the last few months - and hopefully we will continue through 1957 when we will once again see what happened '60 Years Ago This Week...'
Looking forward to it. :D Thanks, Rob - and Tony!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Tony Summerfield wrote:I think I now know what I will be doing this afternoon, Rob! :lol:
:lol: :wink:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

All done, 19 pages! Thanks for all the trouble you take, Rob, I hope enough people appreciate it.
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Great stuff, Rob and Tony. Your efforts are greatly appreciated. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

A great review, Rob, as always. Many thanks to you and Tony for bringing these magazines to life.
I heartily endorse your sentiments about Enid and racism. Let's hope we hear no more of these accusations after hearing of Enid's wishes regarding the Hungarian children.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

I've just read the three stories (thanks, Tony!) and I agree completely with your appraisals of them, Rob.

Despite having a number of familiar elements, 'The Little Reindeer Bell' is really quite unusual and very satisfying. 'Joey's Here!' is indeed rather far-fetched, though still charming (helped by the lovely illustrations), while 'A Ship Called Storm-Rider' has a wonderfully evocative title as you say and teaches some valuable lessons. An entertaining trio of tales.

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

We certainly appreciate being able to read these stories. Great review Rob thank you, and thanks to Tony too.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I'm glad people are appreciating the reviews! And thanks to you, also Tony - your work adding the stories certainly helps to bring parts of these wonderful magazines to an audience who haven't seen them. :-D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:I've just read the three stories (thanks, Tony!) and I agree completely with your appraisals of them, Rob.

Despite having a number of familiar elements, 'The Little Reindeer Bell' is really quite unusual and very satisfying. 'Joey's Here!' is indeed rather far-fetched, though still charming (helped by the lovely illustrations), while 'A Ship Called Storm-Rider' has a wonderfully evocative title as you say and teaches some valuable lessons. An entertaining trio of tales.
I agree about the lovely illustrations for 'Joey's Here!' and for all the other stories. Every issue has such great quality illustrations. It was obviously a very well presented magazine - with no expense spared when it came to the illustrations, even though they were 'only' for a magazine and not meant to last. They are 100 times better than most modern illustrations!! ;-)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Yes, it's amazing to think that the magazine came out once a fortnight and had such lovely illustrations. The same applies to comics like Playhour, Misty and similar in the 1950s-80s, which came out every week and were full of beautiful artwork. Nowadays, even publishers of annuals often just reprint old picture stories rather than commissioning new ones. The three recent Famous Five Annuals had some new articles but, as far as fiction was concerned, they contained nothing but recycled picture strips/illustrated text from past decades. And I believe that recent Rupert Annuals have each only featured one new story, the others again being taken from previous annuals.

Society Member