Jimmy and the Jackdaw

Discuss Blyton's magazines, short stories and poetry here.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Jimmy and the Jackdaw

Post by pete9012S »

Jimmy and the Jackdaw

Sunny Stories No.322 Feb 25, 1944/Enid Blyton's Bluebell Story Book (John Gifford 1949)

Another short story that features eggs,jackdaws and just like the first story in the Enid Blyton's Magazine 1953-1959
comparison: The Jackdaw Afternoon we come across a jackdaw,a tower and the theft of a silver pencil!

See what you think of Jimmy & The Jackdaw,it's quite a poignant little story which teaches young Jimmy a very valuable lesson!

http://pdfsr.com/pdf/jimmy-and-the-jackdaw-short-story" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's the Magazine Comparison again if you want to compare all three:

http://pdfsr.com/pdf/enid-blyton-s-magazine-comparison" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Moonraker

Re: Jimmy and the Jackdaw

Post by Moonraker »

Thanks Pete, I have downloaded it and will read it later.
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Yes, "a hard punishment, but a very fair one" indeed! Thanks, Pete. I have to admit, I guessed what would happen as soon as the silver pencil got a mention - especially since we already knew the story involves jackdaws - but it was well worth reading, as Enid tells the story with such feeling. Egg-collecting was seen as a standard and enjoyable pastime for young boys in her day, so I'm glad to know Enid spoke out against it so strongly.

By the way, I'd be interested to know for certain - do jackdaws really have a habit of stealing shiny things? I remember a recent study that found that magpies, contrary to popular belief, don't collect shiny objects, so it just makes me wonder whether or not the jackdaw's similar reputation is deserved or not.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I guessed what would happen as soon as the silver pencil got a mention
Not having read it yet, the mind boggles. :shock:
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I've been familiar with 'Jimmy and the Jackdaw' for as long as I can remember, as I've got it in my childhood copy of Storytime Book (Dean & Son). A satisfying story, nicely constructed.

Enid Blyton had a jackdaw and a magpie (Jackie and Maggie) which were half-tame and she said they used to fly off with her silver pencil and silver thimble, but whether she was romanticising I don't know.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Farwa
Favourite book/series: The Secret Island/Adventure Series/Famous Five
Favourite character: Anne Kirrin/Peggy

Post by Farwa »

Yes, I have that story in one of my short story collections by Enid. I'm glad Jimmy learnt a lesson, but also feel rather sorry for him.
A day spent without a smile is a day lost.
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

Haven't read it, but I'll give it a whirl. I've always liked Jackdaws from an early age. This grew when I started reading the F5 books. Used to love sitting on Castle battlements in North Wales & watch them circling & chacking. In fact, I still do to this day! :D