Classic Adventures Magazine Number 50 (1992)

Discuss Blyton's magazines, short stories and poetry here.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Classic Adventures Magazine Number 50 (1992)

Post by Rob Houghton »

I noticed there's a photo in the Cave of the 'free book' that came with this magazine, but I couldn't find a photo of the magazine itself. I picked this up at a charity shop a few years ago, and I'm pleased to have a copy with the magazine included, as often the book is just sold as a book in its own right.

It's an interesting magazine, part of a series of 'Classic Adventures', including classics such as Folly Foot, Lassie Come Home, The 39 Steps, Jane Eyre, Lorna Doone and Anne of Green Gables. It's good to know that Enid was included in a collection of well-loved children's classics, and both magazine and book are well produced.

The Book contains the original illustrations and as far as I know the original text, although I haven't checked it thoroughly. The only drawback is it's printed on rather thin paper, in the traditional 'classics' style. The cover is mock leather and all in all it's a nice copy of the first Famous Five book.

The magazine is full of interesting articles about characters, Enid Blyton, life in England at the time of the novel, ghosts and castles, and puzzles to do with the story - a really nice addition to any collection.

Just thought I'd post a photo, for those who have never seen this. :-)

'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Classic Adventures Magazine Number 50 (1992)

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I've got that book and magazine too, Robert. Although they were printed in 1992, the book is a true classic as it has gone back to the original text. The quality is good and the only thing I regret is that the cover is by another artist instead of Eileen Soper.

I've picked up a few more books from the Classic Adventures series in charity shops, but I don't have any more of the magazines.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

I have the book, but I didn't know the Magazine existed, actually. It looks very interesting. The book is quite a nice edition, but I agree that the pages are very thin!

I can't find the Enid Blyton one on eBay, but there is a job lot of 24 of the Classic books, complete with the corresponding magazines, which looks rather nice:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/THE-CLASSIC-A ... 1c4d919af1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I have probably posted this before, but I bought a complete set in a charity shop with all the magazines - but I believe there are one or two of the books missing. A moment of madness as I have never found anywhere to put them, but I couldn't resist a bargain! :oops:

I didn't realise that there was a picture of the magazine in the Cave, but the book is sitting with all the other 'Treasure Island' reprints.

I have just looked at your post again, Rob, and I realise there isn't a picture of the magazine!!