Search for a poem

Discuss Blyton's magazines, short stories and poetry here.
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Search for a poem

Post by Fiona1986 »

I've got a query on the Blog's Facebook page and I'm a bit stuck.
As a six year old child, way back in the early '60's, I had to learn a poem for a Girls Brigade badge. I learned, and still remember, 'Old Mrs Bumble lives in a Jumble'... from my favourite Enid Blyton story book. My 4 year old grand daughter now needs to learn something for a drama recital, and her drama teacher, whilst willing to allow this poem needs its 'proper title' and author for the paper work.

It may have been called The Surprise, as one of the lines says, 'her shop should be called the surprise'. As an avid Enid reader i had a new book of her stories each year for my birthday in September (so '1956 onwards). The book had little stories and the odd poem, can't recall cover., as mind is jumbled of all those that I had. I was 6 so guess this would have been 1962/1963 that i got it but of course it may have been out for a few years before.
This is the only book that seems possible though it's not a Blyton book, it just has a couple of Blyton pieces in it. I doubt the lady had any of the earlier books in which it appeared (from 1927 to 1933).

Does anyone recognise the poem?
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
tix

Re: Search for a poem

Post by tix »

You can eliminate "The Children's Story Book" because none of the poems have any Bumbly Jumbly references in them, and neither do the stories.

If you keep on searching the Internet for "Mrs. Bumble," she may eventually show up.