Mystery and Suspense Magazines

Discuss Blyton's magazines, short stories and poetry here.
thefamousfive
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five and Harry Potter
Favourite character: Julian

Mystery and Suspense Magazines

Post by thefamousfive »

Hello, I was wondering what is in these magazines pictures etc :D :D ? Please let me know as soon as possible, I feel as if I have been ignored the past few days which really upsets me.

Thanks, Euan.
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Re: Mystery and Suspense Magazines of The Famous Five

Post by Pippa-Stef »

They mostly contain comic strips of some of Enid's storys. Five on treasure island and Five on Smugglers top are two of the famous fives that have been serialised. There is a secret seven comic strip and several of her short stories.

There are a few- "How to look for clues" segmants and in some magazines there are some 90's pictures and there is supposed to be at least one article from Jemima and Laura- but in my copy that's missing. *mutters under breath*
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

thefamousfive wrote: I feel as if I have been ignored the past few days which really upsets me.

Thanks, Euan.
:?:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
thefamousfive

Post by thefamousfive »

Hello Pippa Stef, thanks for letting me know exactly what is in them. I really appreciate this. I am still trying to collect them but there is none on ebay at the moment. Have you any other websites I might like to try?

Thanks, Euan.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Lucky Star wrote:
thefamousfive wrote: I feel as if I have been ignored the past few days which really upsets me.

Thanks, Euan.
:?:
Yes, I thought I had missed something here. What's up Euan?
Society Member
Zar Quon

Post by Zar Quon »

thefamousfive wrote: Have you any other websites I might like to try?
ebid?

Tho as a search there for enid blyton magazine gives two results wheras ebay gives 56, I don't think it's worth considering. Just run up a search on ebay & let them mail you every day with the results........
Dick Kirrin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Julian, Dick

Post by Dick Kirrin »

Actually, I haven't even heard of Mystery and Suspense Magazines of the FF. :shock: :oops:
Unless you mean the old 1970s and early 1980s annuals, which you can see on the society homepage. These make a lovely collection and the cartoons took the 1970s actors as models. Each contains a full-length story, partly as a cartoon, partly written, as well as information and some photos of the 1970s cast.

Cheers

Dick Kirrin

PS: Nobody is ignoring anyone here on purpose, it can just happen that people either aren't around that can answer the question, some of us have to work hard shifts, Zoe and Nigel for instance, or those around cannot answer the question raised.
Where to look? Well, have you tried Amazon Marketplace yet? Apart from that, I'd suggest attending the next EB Day, there used to be sellers there that can help - at a price, of course.
"You just never knew what would happen. It made life exciting, of course - but it did spoil a cycling tour!"
Zar Quon

Post by Zar Quon »

Dick Kirrin wrote:Actually, I haven't even heard of Mystery and Suspense Magazines of the FF. :shock: :oops:
I think he means these

There's a set of the mid-'80s mags up there at the moment too I notice.
Dick Kirrin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Julian, Dick

Post by Dick Kirrin »

Thanks a lot for solving that mystery for me. :D I didn't know there were any more magazines or cartoons than the annuals I mentioned earlier.

Cheers

Dick Kirrin
"You just never knew what would happen. It made life exciting, of course - but it did spoil a cycling tour!"
Zar Quon

Post by Zar Quon »

The mid-'80s mags give the impresson of having the Fives likenesses based on what the artist remembered them looking like from the '70s series. Kinda. Sorta. Vaguely. If you squint.

Currently running at 15 quid

ETA: I've not read all 16 tho. Not yet. Working up to it. Decent enough artwork in them tho.
thefamousfive

Post by thefamousfive »

i know its just i thought people weren't replying but they are so its fine. i can't really go on to this very often as i have lots of studying to do for my s5 exams. so if anyone hears of anything more about the mystery and suspense magazines at any time, please let me know and i will reply the next time i am on this.

Richard S.

Post by Richard S. »

Hi, newbie here, I've just acquired my first copy of the "Adventure magazine" - can anyone tell me how many issues it lasted for?

thanks a lot
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Welcome, Richard. The Mystery and Suspense magazines are not the same as Enid Blyton's Adventure Magazine, which was published from 1985-86 and focussed only on the Famous Five. There are 17 Enid Blyton's Adventure Magazines altogether. The first (Five on Kirrin Island) is unnumbered, and the rest are numbered 1-16.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Zar Quon

Post by Zar Quon »

There's interesting. I've 1 to 16, so is the un-numbered edition still called "Enid Blytons Adventure Magazine" or does it have a different appelation.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

The unnumbered edition is still called Enid Blyton's Adventure Magazine and has exactly the same format as all the others. It is illustrated by Barrie Mitchell, who also did the illustrations for number 5 (Five Get Into a Fix). Six different artists were used over the course of the series.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member