HAPPY NEW YEAR, 2018

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: HAPPY NEW YEAR, 2018

Post by Courtenay »

IceMaiden wrote:Surely anybody 17 on 31.12.17 at 11.59pm is going to be 18 - and therefore legally adult - on 1.1.18 at 12:00am?
No, only if they were actually born at 12.00 am on 1 January, surely. :? I certainly didn't turn [insert age I'm turning this year :P ] on New Year's Day. I won't until my actual birthday, which is in April!
IceMaiden wrote:If it was 1.1.19 they'd be 19 and then it wouldn't work because they'd already be adults in this millennium.
As the new millennium didn't start until 2001 — regardless of what the majority of people who follow the Gregorian calendar chose to celebrate — the statement about every child being born in the new millennium has to apply to people born on or after 1 Jan 2001, not 2000 (and therefore turning 18 some time during 2019). But as I'm losing track of what we were talking about (and am not sure I understood it in the first place anyway), I probably shouldn't keep on arguing about it... :shock:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

Oh that's what I meant, actually born at 12am on 1st Jan, meaning they'd be 17 up to 11.59 on 31st Dec! But yes, I've lost track of it now too and none of it no longer makes any sense, so best to forget about it, I'm getting brain-ache from it :mrgreen: .
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

IceMaiden wrote:But yes, I've lost track of it now too and none of it no longer makes any sense, so best to forget about it, I'm getting brain-ache from it :mrgreen: .
Agreed. I still haven't turned 18 yet anyway. :mrgreen: :wink: :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)