Southampton :) :) :)

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Re: Southampton :) :) :)

Post by number 6 »

Eddie Muir wrote:Chick is my wife, Maria Elena. We are both familiar with Southampton. :wink:
And what a great couple your are! :D
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

A good news, Maria Elena! Good luck with your life in university. :D
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Thank you for your very kind words, Number 6. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
timv

Post by timv »

Good luck at Southampton University, Maria Elena. My father used to teach there, and I was brought up in the New Forest so I used to go down to the docks with my parents to see the great liners in the mid-1960s when cruise liners like Enid's 'Viking Star' regularly used the Western Docks (along the River Test seafront) as well as the docks down at the junction of the Test and Itchen rivers.

In the 1950s-60s 'boat-trains' could follow a side-branch of the main London-Bournemouth railway line right down to the docks and people would disembark at the quayside, as Enid has the Mannerings and Trents do in Ship of Adventure (and as she presumably did herself). This was stopped for safety reasons in the 1970s, as it was judged too dangerous for the passenger railway to cross busy roads without adequate safety gates; the same happened at Weymouth. The physical appearance of the lower end of the city by the seafront at the Royal Pier has not changed much since Enid's time except that it is more run-down, but the marina, apartments etc to the East are modern developments on what used to be commercial docks for industrial import/export use. But the city shopping centre around the Bargate is almost entirely redeveloped.
Society Member
Maria Elena
Favourite book/series: The five find outers
Favourite character: Kiki

Post by Maria Elena »

Eddie Muir wrote:Chick is my wife, Maria Elena. We are both familiar with Southampton. :wink:
I know! Maria Esther told me you celebrated your wedding anniversary last year. Well, as you both know this area, I would love recommendations of Blytonesque places to visit. :D
The point is not that I don't recognise bad people when I see them — I grant you I may quite well be taken in by them — the point is that I know a good person when I see one.
Enid Blyton, The Rubadub Mystery (Barney Mysteries, #4)
Maria Elena

Post by Maria Elena »

sixret wrote:A good news, Maria Elena! Good luck with your life in university. :D
Thank you! :)
The point is not that I don't recognise bad people when I see them — I grant you I may quite well be taken in by them — the point is that I know a good person when I see one.
Maria Elena

Post by Maria Elena »

timv wrote:Good luck at Southampton University, Maria Elena. My father used to teach there, and I was brought up in the New Forest so I used to go down to the docks with my parents to see the great liners in the mid-1960s when cruise liners like Enid's 'Viking Star' regularly used the Western Docks (along the River Test seafront) as well as the docks down at the junction of the Test and Itchen rivers.

In the 1950s-60s 'boat-trains' could follow a side-branch of the main London-Bournemouth railway line right down to the docks and people would disembark at the quayside, as Enid has the Mannerings and Trents do in Ship of Adventure (and as she presumably did herself). This was stopped for safety reasons in the 1970s, as it was judged too dangerous for the passenger railway to cross busy roads without adequate safety gates; the same happened at Weymouth. The physical appearance of the lower end of the city by the seafront at the Royal Pier has not changed much since Enid's time except that it is more run-down, but the marina, apartments etc to the East are modern developments on what used to be commercial docks for industrial import/export use. But the city shopping centre around the Bargate is almost entirely redeveloped.
If your father taught in this university, you know the surroundings well! Although I suppose the university has changed a lot in the last years, with new buildings added. But what I love above all is the architecture of the oldest ones. The city common is right next to the University and seems like a lovely spot for walking and spending a quiet morning. I'll probably go there during the weekend. I imagined the port had suffered changes since Enid Blyton's time. However a visit would be interesting, I would love to be in a place which Enid Blyton visited, and which appears as well in her books! Thank you for all the information. :D
Maria Elena

Post by Maria Elena »

(Update)
I'm loving Southampton! This is my fifth day here :)
I have already been to a bookshop, it's one of the first things I went to with my mother and my sister. :D
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Great to hear from you again, Maria Elena! :D So glad you're enjoying Southampton.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

It's good to hear you're enjoying Southampton, Maria Elena. All the best with your studies!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

It’s great to hear that you are enjoying Southampton, Maria Elena. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

I loved all the pics that I got from Maria Esther, and I'm so glad you're having a lovely time! :D
You can call me Sunskriti!