RIP Bruce Forsyth

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Re: RIP Bruce Forsyth

Post by Kate Mary »

A very talented man he will be much missed. I first saw him on Sunday Night at the London Palladium, I always enjoyed the 'Beat the Clock' bit. Loved the Generation Game too.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Bruce was great on "Sunday Night at the London Palladium". How well I remember the 1961 decorating sketch with Norman Wisdom and Bruce singing Poor Me with Adam Faith in 1960. See below:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vs0-7x2bESA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Great stuff Eddie. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Glad you liked it, John. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
timv

Post by timv »

I first saw Bruce when my parents allowed me to stay up late and watch Sunday Night At The London Palladium when I was about five, and must have seen him on TV on and off for nearly 50 years. A great record for a great entertainer, who will be much missed. I loved the Generation Game in the 1970s - and he never humiliated the contestants either, keeping up a sense of classiness throughout his career. The highlight for me was his comeback appearance on Have I got News For You, when he gently sent up his own 'Play Your Cards Right' format with a 'card deck' of Saddam Hussein's leading henchmen and held his own with the much younger Ian Hislop and Paul Merton.
Society Member
joanne_chan
Favourite book/series: The Naughtiest Girl, Malory Towers, Famous Five
Favourite character: Elizabeth Allen

Post by joanne_chan »

A great all round entertainer who loved to work an audience he'll be missed. The Theatre Royal, Bilston, Staffs where he got his first break even though it only lasted a week sadly is no more, an early victim to the 'goggle box'.
Last edited by joanne_chan on 26 Aug 2017, 11:03, edited 1 time in total.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

joanne_chan wrote: an early victim to the 'google box'.
Google has a lot to answer for.... :D
Society Member
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

I don't usually get upset with celebrity deaths, but this one hurt. His longevity was amazing.