Get-Together at Exbury, Sat 12th May 2018

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Forum reunion

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Courtenay wrote:Pardon my complete ignorance, but am I right in thinking the Blyton connection with Exbury is that the 1970s Famous Five TV series was filmed in the area? I vaguely remember it being on telly when I was very little, but I don't have anything like the encyclopaedic knowledge of it that some of our members have... :wink:
Yes, you're right. The series was filmed at Exbury House and in the surrounding area.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Ah, I see. I had noticed there's quite an intense discussion on the "TV locations" thread about trying to pinpoint the exact spot where the closing titles were filmed (with the Five running away into the distance)... if it's ever located for sure, perhaps you could film a little re-enactment at the meet-up?? :D :wink: (All together now: "We are the Faaamous Fiiive...")
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

We have talked before about going to Exbury, as it's a lovely place, Courtenay, and it is loosely connected with Blyton because of the filming, as you say.

Tony once mentioned the best time to go is around May, and as we missed our opportunity this year, I think it would be lovely to have our meet up there if everyone else is agreed.

If we hum and arr again, then another meet up will be lost. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Well, I would love to join you all there, but I don't think I could unless I take a couple of days' leave about that time and stay overnight in the area. Which will depend on how much of my annual leave I still have left by May (I do have other specific times when I want or need time off, including a trip to Australia earlier in the year)... I'll have to leave it open for now and decide closer to the time, assuming the meet-up does go ahead as planned. :)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

No probs, Courtenay.

When we used to do the EB Days, we would book two days off and stay in a hotel for 2 nights, and as the meetings were planned well in advance it enabled other people to plan well in advance too. Our meetings in the Spade Oak, Bourne End for Old Thatch were the same, we'd book two nights in the area.

Daisy used to stay in the same hotel we'd book and those were really enjoyable days.

8)

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Reading the get-together in this thread has struck me how very different the climate is between UK and Malaysia. In Malaysia, we can go and visit any place in Malaysia anytime all year round because the weather and climate remain almost the same throughout the year. The climate and weather in January is not significantly different than the climate and weather in July. In fact, there is no different at all. :lol:

In UK, seasonal climate is a very important factor in deciding the get-together. :shock:
Last edited by sixret on 06 Sep 2017, 18:00, edited 1 time in total.
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

sixret wrote:
In UK, seasonal climate is a very important factor to decide the get-together. :shock:
And we like it that way! :lol:

I love the British seasons, that's what gives us our lovely countryside!

8)

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

In this case, it's not just seasonal climate — I gather there are rhododendrons at Exbury, so May will be the most spectacular time of year to go there, when they're in flower. :D

(Meanwhile, back in Australia, if you want to see rhododendrons and azaleas flowering, you go in November!!)
Society Member

pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

sixret wrote: ...in Malaysia ... the weather and climate remain almost the same throughout the year. :lol:
Do you talk about the weather as much as we do in the UK?
If not,what do you talk about to break the ice with strangers etc?
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I've entered EBS GET-TOGETHER, EXBURY, SATURDAY, 12th MAY 2018 in my diary. As Julie says, let's stick to that date. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Sally H

Post by Sally H »

Sounds like we have an agreement - 12 May it is and we can hopefully all work around that. Given that the south-east tends to be a week or two ahead as far as gardens are concerned, the timing should be ideal for the rhododendrons/azaleas.

Given my time constraints, wondering if another of the forum members would now pick this up to take forward arrangements nearer the time? Eddie, would you be willing?
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

If you don't want to do it, Eddie. I'll phone Exbury Gardens, nearer the time, when we have some numbers, and get them to reserve a few tables in their cafe for us all. (It can get busy at weekends) I could ask also if they'll do a deal on the price of a group booking. :)

8)

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

All sounds good to me. I'll pencil it in as well and hope for the best, though I won't be able to say for sure whether or not I can come till closer to the time. But here's hoping. :D
Society Member

Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I'm sure that Julie and I can work on the arrangements together, Sally. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Re: Get-Together at Exbury, Sat 12th May 2018

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I'd better pop it onto my calendar too, otherwise I'll forget! :roll:

8)

I've changed the title of the thread now we've decided on the place and date. - Anita

Society Member