RIP Robert Hardy

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Sally H

Re: RIP Robert Hardy

Post by Sally H »

You may be right, Nigel - Robert Hardy was a Scorpio, and ......
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

This shows what a perfectionist he was:
Famous for his role as Siegfried Farnon (based on the character of Donald Sinclair) in the James Herriot adaptations All Creatures Great and Small, Hardy expressed his initial fear upon reading the albeit charming, delightful books that it would “bore the towns and annoy the country”. The vast popularity of the adaptations proved how wrong he was. Under the director’s strict instructions not to meet the real-life people upon whom the book was based, Hardy’s response was to drive straight out to meet the eccentric Sinclair. Interestingly, in later episodes, frustrated with the new young writers for All Creatures Great and Small who “did not do their homework” in researching the back copies of earlier episodes, Hardy applied for script approval enabling him to personally write the scenes in which he acted.
http://oxfordstudent.com/2011/05/19/a-w ... ert-hardy/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Very interesting, Nigel. Thanks for the information and link. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Sally H

Post by Sally H »

Thank from me too, Nigel - an interesting article. I always felt that a lot of the real Robert Hardy was in the character of Siegfried, which is partly why it worked so well - he was Siegfried! Highly intelligent, principled, passionate, intense of feeling, eccentric, loyal and enormously generous. They don't make them like him any more, sadly.