Americans try British food!

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: Americans try British food!

Post by Rob Houghton »

floragord wrote: We pronounce scone to rhyme with 'long',
'scong'?! :shock:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

Eddie Muir wrote:So do I. :D
So does Izzy! Otherwise it is too messy.
Society Member
Francis

Post by Francis »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:I don't say Scon, I say Scone- as in loan! And I'm not posh by any means!
Oh yes you are! :wink:
Society Member
Francis

Post by Francis »

pete9012S wrote:Surely you occasionally enjoyed a bit of crumpet though Julie?

A hot buttered crumpet - or is it a pikelet???
One track mind!
Society Member
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

Rob Houghton wrote:
floragord wrote: We pronounce scone to rhyme with 'long',
'scong'?! :shock:
Not just!! :lol: I was trying to get some rhyming going as with long, shaun or lawn....
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I say "skon" but will happily accept a "skone" if someone offers me one (though not with jam, as I'm allergic to it). I particularly like hot scones with butter.
Julie2owlsdene wrote:I remember when we first moved down here, I asked for a balmcake, and no one had heard of one before, and asked me what it was. I said it's a bap! :lol: :lol:
I learnt about barm cakes from watching Coronation Street as a child!

Although I eat the occasional crumpet, they're not favourites of mine. In an episode of Call the Midwife one of the nuns said she didn't eat crumpets because they were "too multicellular and too spongiform." A wonderful description which sums up my own feelings about them exactly!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
HopeMeijer
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series
Favourite character: Allie Mannering, Kiki

Post by HopeMeijer »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:
Although I eat the occasional crumpet, they're not favourites of mine. In an episode of Call the Midwife one of the nuns said she didn't eat crumpets because they were "too multicellular and too spongiform." A wonderful description which sums up my own feelings about them exactly!
My friend has a phobia of holes, so crumpets make her feel ill. That has to be the most perfect description of them I've ever heard though!
Still, you never knew with Bill. He had a remarkable way of doing impossible things extraordinarily quickly. - The Mountain of Adventure

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: In an episode of Call the Midwife one of the nuns said she didn't eat crumpets because they were "too multicellular and too spongiform." A wonderful description which sums up my own feelings about them exactly!
:shock: :lol: I knew there was a reason why I've never found crumpets appealing! :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Domino wrote:Sixret, in answer to your question, I don't think anyone eats scones every day. They are not neccessarily a treat, either, just a change from the usual loaf of bread. Some people (like me) don't like cream (of any kind), it doesn't agree with me. So putting it on a scone would ruin it. I like mine buttered, sometimes toasted.
Scones do taste nice. They have quite a close texture and can be crumbly.

On the subject of pronunciation, do people in Kuala Lumpur pronounce words in Malay differently to, say, Kelantan and Trengganu, which were once under the suzerainty of Thailand?

Dave
Thank you, Dave. I would like to try scones one of these days if I could find them here in Kuala Lumpur. :D

Your general knowledge is excellent, Dave! :D

Off-topic:

Every state in Malaysia has different dialect. They are all Malay language but their pronunciations are different than the standard form of Malay language pronunciation i.e. received pronunciation. This received pronunciation that you usually hear in KL and every school in Malaysia is originated from Johor and Singapura(used to be one of the state of Malaysia) (Singa = lion, pura = city, pura was a Malay old language, we don't use it anymore), the southern states of Malaysia, just like English language where received pronunciation was originated from the Southern England.

And the most difficult dialect to understand even to most Malays except for Kelantanese is Kelantan dialect. I usually understand the meaning as a whole but not word for word because Kelantan dialect has a rhythmic pronunciation unlike standard Malay language.

Southern Thai was actually a Malay kingdom although under Siam(old name for Thailand) sovereignty. Pattani people and Narathiwat people are Malay people. Their Malay language dialects have similar sound to Kelantan dialect. The old name for Malaysia was Tanah Melayu( Malay land) before September,16 1965.

We could understand Indonesia language very well because of its similarity to Malay language although their way of speaking is different. Even Tagalog (Philippines language) have many similar words to Malay language.

Back to the topic. :D
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:I don't say Scon, I say Scone- as in loan! And I'm not posh by any means!
You may not be posh but you are stylish, Julie. :D
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Domino

Post by Domino »

Thanks for the information about Malay dialects, Sixret. I always suspected there would be variations. My fault we went off topic.

Dave
He called the greatest archers to a tavern on the green.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I've just had a Cornish cream tea at Penlee House gallery in Penzance... cream on top of the jam, of course. 8) Trouble was, even the one scone was so huge I couldn't finish it!!

Incidentally, one of the serving staff said "scon" and the other said "scown"... and would you believe, even in the Cornish language speaking group I was with last night, a few of the guys got sidetracked — no, I didn't start it — into arguing over "scon" versus "scown". :shock: (In English. I have no idea what the Cornish word for "scone" is.) Mind you, a lot of Cornish people will argue that a proper Cornish cream tea is served with splits, not scones, anyway... :P
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

English food - Trying a REAL CORNISH PASTY! (Cornwall, England)
They had to overcome some rather gruesome English obstacles to get to the pastie!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWpttcjvOvU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
KEVP

Post by KEVP »

Ahh yes, beautiful British countryside. Complete with dog poop, stinging nettles, and adders.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

How is the problem poop handled in the USA?
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member