RIP Michael Bond

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

RIP Michael Bond

Post by Courtenay »

I was sorry to hear this evening that Michael Bond, creator of Paddington Bear, has died at the age of 91. I only had one Paddington book when I was little, but I always liked him as a character and remember enjoying the old TV series as well. The rest of the books and the more recent film version are still on my ever-growing must-read/must-watch list! :wink:

Here's Mr Bond's obituary from the BBC — I was quite moved by the story of how the idea for Paddington first came to him:
On his way home from work on Christmas Eve in 1956, Bond spied a lonely teddy bear on the shelf in a shop window, and took it home as a stocking filler for his wife. He called it Paddington because they were living near Paddington Station at the time.

While musing over a typewriter and a blank sheet of paper, he wondered idly what it would be like if an unaccompanied bear turned up at a railway station looking for a home.

The seeds of the idea had taken root during the war when Bond saw newsreels of children being sent out from British cities to avoid German bombing. "I had memories of children being evacuated from London with a label around their necks and all their possessions in a suitcase, and this became part of Paddington as well," he said.

"Paddington Bear was a refugee with a label - 'Please look after this bear. Thank you', and he had a little suitcase."
RIP Michael Bond.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: RIP Michael Bond

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

RIP Michael Bond. Paddington has been part of my life for as long as I can remember.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

Another of my childhood fav's has gone. R.I.P. Michael Bond...Paddington's dad! :cry:
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Very sad. RIP Michael Bond.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

The way I got to know Paddington initially was via the well-known TV series when I was a kid. Great stuff! RIP Michael Bond.

(I also love marmalade sandwiches.)
:D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

I discovered the books and the 1970s TV series at around the same time, when I was about six. My sister and I had posters based on the TV series on our bedroom wall.

My children also enjoyed the Paddington books when they were young, and when we visited Harrods we treated ourselves to a little Paddington Bear which sits on the bookshelf.

I enjoyed the Paddington film of 2014 - it was really quite moving - and I believe a sequel is being released later this year.

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Great memories, Anita! I've only seen the 2014 Paddington film once, but I'm sure that Michael Bond made a cameo appearance in it. I might be wrong, but I seem to recall him seated on the train station platform waving to Paddington, who was departing on a train. Or I'm imagining it! :D
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Yes - apparently he was in it. It was showing that clip on the news last night. Initially he'd been worried about a film and hoped it wouldn't destroy the integrity of his character, but after seeing the first 'rushes' he was persuaded to make a cameo appearance.

One thing that really surprised me when they were reporting on his death yesterday was that he also created 'The Herbs' and Parsley the Lion. :-)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Yes, a couple of the obituaries mentioned that Michael Bond had a cameo in Paddington (2014) and was very happy with the film — the ultimate recommendation, surely! There is also a sequel currently in production.

Meanwhile, as a tribute, Classic FM has shared this video of an organ performance of the theme tune from the 1970s TV series... :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Rob Houghton wrote:One thing that really surprised me when they were reporting on his death yesterday was that he also created 'The Herbs' and Parsley the Lion. :-)
Ah, I forgot he created those. I loved The Herbs when I was a kid. :D
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

I watched The Herbs too but it didn't appeal to me as much. It didn't have the warmth of Paddington. Like Rob, I didn't realise The Herbs had been created by Michael Bond.

Back in 2014, Tony and I saw a few of the models of Paddington on the Paddington Trail in London:

http://www.visitlondon.com/paddington" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We also visited a small exhibition at The Museum of London where we saw Michael Bond's typewriter, early editions of the Paddington books, the characters and a "set" from the 1970s TV series, TV series scripts, a range of Paddington toys and Paddington's duffel coat, hat and suitcase from the 2014 film.

Society Member
GloomyGraham

Post by GloomyGraham »

I did like the Paddington books as a kiddie. It was probably only later in life I realised just how funny they were when I would erupt in a fit of laughter before reading the hilarious next line out to youngsters.
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

I happened to step off a train onto Platform 1 at Paddington Station this afternoon, where of course there's a bronze statue of Paddington Bear sitting on his suitcase, just as Mr and Mrs Brown first met him. I went to have a look at it and was so moved to see that, even a couple of weeks after Michael Bond's passing, Paddington's statue is absolutely surrounded by tributes from fans of all ages: bunches of flowers, cards from children and adults thanking Mr Bond for all the happiness Paddington has brought them... and jar after jar of marmalade. :D :wink:
Society Member

number 6

Post by number 6 »

Awww..isn't that brilliant! It just shows how much he was loved & will, no doubt, continue to be loved for generations to come! My fav memory of the 70's TV animation, was Paddington doing the dance sequence from 'Singing in the Rain'! Classic! :D
RDMorrell
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Secret Seven, Adventure
Favourite character: Anne

Post by RDMorrell »

I was very sad to hear this a fortnight or so ago. :( I'm a pretty big Paddington fan, with a complete set of the novels (including the very latest one, Paddington's Finest Hour, which I'm reading at the moment), a figurine, stuffed toy and a DVD of the Paddington movie (which does indeed feature a cameo by Michael Bond as a kindly old gentleman who waves from a restaurant as Paddington and the Browns drive past in a taxi). One of my most treasured Paddington books is my copy of the first one, A Bear Called Paddington. It's a slightly tatty second-hand paperback edition, but what makes this book special to me is the inscription: it's made out to the original owner (evidently a young girl), and I think her dad might have given it to her. At any rate, it says the book was bought at Paddington Station! How cool is that? It's rather sad that she gave it away like that, but I certainly won't be parting with it in a hurry!

I don't have any of Michael Bond's other books, but I wouldn't mind trying his Monsieur Pamplemousse detective series some time.
Best Regards

ROWAN M.

A room without books is like a body without a soul - Cicero