The Great Coffee & Tea Ice Cream Taste Test Challenge!

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Re: The Great Coffee & Tea Ice Cream Taste Test Challenge!

Post by John Pickup »

Rob Houghton wrote: Mind you, I'm not a one for flavoured ice cream. I like peach flavour, strawberry, caramel flavour and things like black currant etc, but still prefer vanilla!
You're not one for flavoured ice cream but you like peach, strawberry, caramel and blackcurrant. You've lost me, Rob. :D
Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I just LOVE ice cream. It's one of my weaknesses and I love most flavours. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

We have an icecream maker and have experimented with many flavours over the years, mainly in water ice or sorbet forms, not hugely successful were blackberry, chilli or rosepetal... but vanilla pod, coffee, mango, raspberry, clotted cream, lychee and pistachio are all heavenly. Sadly the fresh home made variety puts commercial, even Italian - or worse whippy, shudder - somewhat in the shade 8)
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Chilli ice cream?? :shock: Now I've heard everything...
floragord wrote:We have an icecream maker and have experimented with many flavours over the years, mainly in water ice or sorbet forms, not hugely successful were blackberry, chilli or rosepetal... but vanilla pod, coffee, mango, raspberry, clotted cream, lychee and pistachio are all heavenly. Sadly the fresh home made variety puts commercial, even Italian - or worse whippy, shudder - somewhat in the shade 8)
Mmmm, I'm sure it does... well, maybe one day when I have a home of my own and more time and more money to spend on these things... :D Right now I'm off to have some Kelly's Cornish clotted cream ice cream. Lovely warm evening for it here (and I've got to keep my energy up, you know — I'm going on night shift tonight). :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Very interesting to read everyone's comments.
Eddie's purchase of the 1L Carte D'Or Arabica Coffee Ice Cream and tip on adding Camp Coffee has really aroused my wife's interest!

Rob's very narrow choice of favourite flavours,just peach flavour, strawberry, caramel, black currant and vanilla was interesting to discover too.

Then came floragord's revelation that with her own ice cream maker she can take things to the next level was positively breathtaking to discover. I sense a small cottage industry business making delicious ice cream would be a distinct possibility if she ever so desired!
floragord wrote: ...vanilla pod, coffee, mango, raspberry, clotted cream, lychee and pistachio are all heavenly.
So,my wife popped into Sainsbury's last night for some new coffee ice cream.They had none! So she bought this instead:

Yes,I know it's not coffee or tea flavoured - but on our recent holiday in Zante they had caramel tea bags so there is a tenuous link??

Also, it may appeal to the non coffee liker/drinkers who do love ice cream because after a few demure spoonfuls my wife declared it to be the 'best ice cream she has ever tastet - ever!!!'

She has worked in Marks & Spencer for many years too,so she is no stranger to the finer things of life!!!! :wink: :D

So the gauntlet sorry 'ice' has been thrown down.I agree with my wife ,it is definitely a 9.5/10 ice cream.

Why not try it for yourself - purely for scientific research of course and see if you agree with my wife's findings...it's reduced in price at the moment too.

My wife said she is sorry she didn't buy two tubs of it,which means she will probably pop back to the shop tonight for more!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Oh dear, caramel is the other flavour I simply can't stand! :lol: I commend your experimental and adventurous nature, Pete, but I'll stick to the flavours I know I like myself.

(My favourite ice cream flavours are strawberry, most other berries, mango, hazelnut, macadamia, or mint choc chip. 8) )
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Was caramel on Rob's short list of fave's - I can't remember? Maybe he could be persuaded to try it???? :D

Society Member
Wayne Pyer
Favourite book/series: adventure/find outers
Favourite character: Bill Smugs/Kiki/Fatty

Post by Wayne Pyer »

I love a mug of coffee Pete but I cannot stand coffee flavour ice cream, chocolate or sweets, sorry.
Wayne, living in an Enid Blyton world.
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

No problem Wayne.
It must be much easier for you to have a nice,trim waistline than us chocoholics! :D

Society Member
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

I love ice cream but tea or coffee flavour sounds absolutely revolting!! :shock:

Oddly enough I was watching Antiques Road Trip last week and one of the presenters got to try a historic ice cream recipe that had parmesan cheese in it :x She took one spoonful, made an exclamation of disgust and shot off camera like a rocket :mrgreen: . Such a nice change to see someone on tv give a truthful account of what something tastes like instead of plastering on a grin and saying it's lovely when it obviously isn't! :P
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Very true IceMaiden there are some very strange flavours of ice cream around!

This shop has sold the nicest ice-cream since I was a little boy.They even do a fantastic vanilla flavour!!:

Still making memories 75 years on!

Everyone remembers how excited you were as a child going to the seaside and getting an ice cream. The overwhelming choice of flavours, sizes, cones and taking that first lick! At Nicholls famous ice cream we have been providing happy memories and tasty home-made ice cream for 75 years.

There are dozens of scrumptious flavours to choose from, each hand-made using the finest Italian flavours. We have to pinch ourselves sometimes knowing we get to make ice cream everyday! We have great fun coming up with new flavours and we know how difficult it is to decide which ones to choose. And if you can't decide, why not have have a double scoop or even a triple?

Our Parkgate location overlooks the Dee Estuary and provides lovely views, a great place to relax, have fun and create more memories.
http://www.nichollsicecream.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Society Member
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

My absolute favorite flavor is definitely Mint Choco Chip... but almost no one else I know likes it! :(
Anyone? Please...someone! :( :(
You can call me Sunskriti!
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

I like it! :D It's not my absolute favourite (I'm not sure what is), but it's always nice to have.
Society Member

Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

John Pickup wrote:
Rob Houghton wrote:Mind you, I'm not a one for flavoured ice cream. I like peach flavour, strawberry, caramel flavour and things like black currant etc, but still prefer vanilla!
You're not one for flavoured ice cream but you like peach, strawberry, caramel and blackcurrant. You've lost me, Rob. :D
I guess that does sound mixed up! 99% of the time I always opt for vanilla though. ;-)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

Courtenay wrote:I like it! :D It's not my absolute favourite (I'm not sure what is), but it's always nice to have.
Love ya! :lol: :wink: Finally!
You can call me Sunskriti!