RIP John Noakes

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

RIP John Noakes

Post by Jack400 »

Very sorry to hear that John Noakes has died. He still holds the record of being the longest-serving Blue Peter presenter. Many will remember his antics with Shep the Blue Peter dog with fondness.
Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: RIP John Noakes

Post by Eddie Muir »

Very sad news. RIP John Noakes.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

Very sad news indeed. I watched John Noakes regularly when he presented Blue Peter & admired his ability to connect with us viewers. I was very sorry to hear of his illness, which ultimately claimed his life. His catch phrase "Get down, Shep!" has stuck with me to this day! R.I.P. Mr Blue Peter. :cry:
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I hope you are able to view this link, someone I sort of know drew a tribute to John Noakes. He also did one for Ronnie Corbett which I think got adopted by Children in Need.

https://www.facebook.com/DarrenBirdArt/ ... =3&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

RIP John Noakes. That picture is a lovely tribute, Katharine. John Noakes was my favourite Blue Peter presenter when I was a child and I still remember watching him climb Nelson's Column. I also liked Go With Noakes.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

A great presenter. R.I.P. They wouldn't have let him climb Nelson's Column these days.
8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

The Nelson Column climb needed a great deal of courage - he was a wonderfully wacky character and a great entertainer. It is certain that he can never be replaced.
Society Member
timv

Post by timv »

r.I. P. John Noakes. Another major figure from my childhood gone.

I was brought up on 'Blue Peter' with the classic team of John, Peter Purves and Valerie Singleton and they provided some of my favourite TV moments. John was particularly unforgettable, with his daredevil stunts that would be impossible now to stage now - the Nelson's Column climb is one of the stand-out memories of my childhood. The disaster on the Cresta Run where he fell out of the bobsleigh and slid down it at full speed on his own ditto - and of course the much-repeated baby elephant episode for comedy. Not to mention Patch and Shep. In those days presenters tended to stay on for much longer than they did later, cf John's 12 years and the average 2 or 3 year stints of presenters in the 1990s, and I feel they were more committed to a role like this as a career in itself rather than as just a step in a planned career. John always gave the impression of being delightfully spontaneous.

I was fortunate enough to see John in action on a couple of occasions, when the Blue Peter team drove a veteran car on the annual London to Brighton rally (in early November) in the late 1960s and early 1970s. My family lived near the London-Brighton road and went along to see the race, and I remember once the BP team were so late due to a breakdown that we nearly gave up waiting. But eventually someone said they had seen them coming along the road, and we stayed on and waved to them, and John waved back.
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

RIP John Noakes. I remember him well from Blue Peter and not quiet so well from Go with Noakes. A much loved childhood figure for me as for so many others.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

I loved John Noakes and Blue Peter.It was one of the very few programs we would stop playing out to come indoors to watch when we were young.R.I.P.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member