Best of British Magazine, May 2017

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Best of British Magazine, May 2017

Post by Eddie Muir »

The latest issue of Best of British magazine contains an article of several pages entitled "250 Things That Make Britain Great" and Enid Blyton makes the list at number 218:

http://www.bestofbritishmag.co.uk/current-issue" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I noticed the magazine, which costs £4.20, in my local W.H. Smith's branch.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Re: Best of British Magazine, May 2017

Post by Fiona1986 »

Well I'm glad she made the list but 218 isn't a very generous ranking!
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Soenke Rahn

Post by Soenke Rahn »

Which position ware owning by JKR and JRRT?
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I wondered about the position of JK Rowling too, but I guess one needs to see the magazine to find the answer to your question Soenke. It won't just be about authors though. I wonder if fish ahd chips features in the list?
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

You can see the full list by clicking on the following link:

https://www.civilsociety.co.uk/news/vol ... great.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Thanks Eddie. I see fish and chips is 11th.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

I don't dislike the Queen or Royal family by any stretch of the imagination but I think the NHS should be higher than she is! I've rarely been paid enough to contribute to the NHS but I've certainly had my money's worth from it lately and despite the problems it has I couldn't imagine being without it.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Soenke Rahn

Post by Soenke Rahn »

Eddie Muir wrote:You can see the full list by clicking on the following link:

https://www.civilsociety.co.uk/news/vol ... great.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you. J K Rowling is 104 and Tolkien ist not so see .... mmmmmmmmmmm ..... ;-) And Blyton below both Potters ....
Aussie Sue
Favourite book/series: Secret Island, Faraway Tree & FindOuter Series

Post by Aussie Sue »

Come on, I think 218 on the list is great. To be on this list when everything, that is everything British is being considered and no sign of most of her peer group authors, so I think this shows her contribution has really been appreciated and she is a very important part of British history. Very pleased to see her on the list.

cheers
Aussie Sue
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I think it's pretty good too, Aussie Sue! I wonder why JKR's name so often comes up when Blyton is mentioned. I would rather compare her with authors such as Malcolm Saville or Arthur Ransome.
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I would guess it's because JKR is the most wildly popular and successful children's author of the past 20 years, whereas Malcolm Saville and Arthur Ransome aren't nearly as widely read these days.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Right. Let's compare someone who wrote 700 children's books and hundreds of short stories with someone who wrote seven. :roll:
Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Quantity does not equal quality.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Fiona1986 wrote:Quantity does not equal quality.
depends! I can't stand those 7 books!! :twisted: I've tried to read a couple of them - but even just flicking through them leaves me with exactly the same feeling I get from the Adult Famous Fives - boringly written.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Soenke Rahn

Post by Soenke Rahn »

On Arte TV is a BBC documentary to Tolkien in the moment. How ever, i would place him in the top ten, but maybe I was blind and I have overseen him. Blyton would be in the top 30 for me and potter is on the right place. On the top place would be William Tyndale for me with it's Lutheran Bible translation, if it is a List to greatness of England. ;-) How ever, nice inspiring list. :-) But from North Germany I have another look on it. ;-) Daniel Defoe are also not on the list, if I see it right. :-( Ok, Sherlock Holmes is great, as a copy of C. Auguste Dupin he owns with place 107 a well place. The Beatles with place 19, the BBC with place 16 also nice. :-) Ok, Elisabeth I. is not on the list, I suppse the queen means Elisabeth II. and not King like Henry VIII ;-) So I don't know to place 2 ;-) Ok, Fish and Chips should be few places above. Possilby we will have more English fish and less french fries ;-) However a good place vor Fish and Chips, I like it :D We have also a shop here in Flensburg which offers them, possibly not so good like in the UK :-) I do not know :-) Ok, Darwin is for me to unimportant, not the look to the evolution but I don't think that this was really a new revolutionary on the world. People cultivated before also plants and vegetables and so on. I think Darwin was only a person which said what a lot of people saw before, but said it really loud, from this point a little bit like Martin Luther but however there exists person they thought similar like Darwin and so on. I would place him possibly in the 200 position or below. Ok, good ideas also British Film Institute, Rolls-Royce, Alfred Hitchcock, Roald Dahl. I would also place the Glorious Revolution, the legends of King Arthur and Robin Hood, the Big Ben, the Tower Bridge, Madame Tussauds on the list. Ok, scotland is represented with Nessie instead of the Brus and backpipes. Not to forget the Splendid isolation, not the brexit this is antoher cup of tea. However, there is no point to the countryside and the puffins ;-)