Gardeners' World, May 2017

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Moonraker

Re: Gardeners' World, May 2017

Post by Moonraker »

Following a rap on the knuckles from Eddie, I have now bought a copy! :D
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Eddie Muir wrote:The May issue of "Gardeners' World", which is currently on sale for £4.75, includes a 2 for 1 Entry card and guide.
Just unwrapped my copy to find it is a Sainsbury's Value Pack and cost me £6.25! It includes a pair of gloves and some packets of seeds. :evil:
Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I wouldn't dream of giving you a rap on the knuckles, Nigel, as I thoroughly enjoyed reading the posts about missing apostrophes. :D

I bought a standard copy of "Gardeners' World" for £4.75 in a garden centre. Later I saw the Value Pack in our local Sainsbury's branch. At £6.25 it is still quite a bargain although, given the choice of the two editions, I would still have opted for the cheaper version.
Last edited by Eddie Muir on 29 Apr 2017, 18:18, edited 1 time in total.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Moonraker wrote: Just unwrapped my copy to find it is a Sainsbury's Value Pack and cost me £6.25! It includes a pair of gloves and some packets of seeds. :evil:
You're not into gardening, Nigel? :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Oh yes, but I don't grow from seeds.
Society Member
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

Moonraker wrote:
Eddie Muir wrote:The May issue of "Gardeners' World", which is currently on sale for £4.75, includes a 2 for 1 Entry card and guide.
Just unwrapped my copy to find it is a Sainsbury's Value Pack and cost me £6.25! It includes a pair of gloves and some packets of seeds. :evil:
Tesco has a similar "value pack" with no mention of the price being increased to give the ostensibly free gloves. :roll:
Society Member
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

A Christmas present of Burt's Bees products included a packet of wildflower seeds (to attract the bees of course :wink: !) I put them down in my new little rockery and was shocked to see them coming up within 2 days :shock: guess they don't mind the cold, wind and heavy rain - naturally as its the Bank Hol weekend :roll:
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
Jack400

Post by Jack400 »

Two days is pretty impressive, floragord. You've clearly chosen an ideal location for them- and the seed must be first rate too. :D Do you know what plants they actually are?
Society Member
floragord
Favourite book/series: THE FARAWAY TREE SERIES
Favourite character: Silky

Post by floragord »

Its quite a nice suntrap by a patio Jack, I've combined flat slate with shaped stones to build up the rockery so the spaces and gaps are quite sheltered but easy to keep watered. I recognised the seeds of cornflowers, poppies, blue scabious and I think red campion, so it should be an attractive mix, and there are a few others that are new to me, all the seeds look very fresh and healthy. I'd like to add some alpines but will see how the seedlings spread rather than crowd it all in too much. In the field alongside us there is vipers bugloss and ragged robin, and in the lanes masses of primroses, musk mallow and currently a sea of bluebells, so a colourful spring spectacular!
"Its a magic wood!" said Fanny suddenly.
Jack400

Post by Jack400 »

Sounds like you'll have a beautiful display, floragord.
Society Member