How Do We Write?

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Re: How Do We Write?

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

No problem Tony, as you did explain at the time of my query. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

It's probably just me - so I'll go along with the majority. I just find it really alters the flow of the stories when there are big blank gaps between paragraphs. In a web page that is factual, this break of flow doesn't bother me, but in a fictional piece it seems to break the flow.

Its not so much the indents as the gaps between paragraphs which spoil the flow (for me personally)...but you can't have one without the other, or else it would just become a solid block of writing! ;-) So I'll go with the flow. 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Tony Summerfield wrote:One thing I did notice about the current serial, which was not in any way Julie's fault, is that during the editing process we changed a couple of three or four word phrases into italics to give them more emphasis and they came out as one long word. I can't remember where they were, but Julie will know as she drew my attention to it.

We have learnt our lesson as the forthcoming new serial has no italics in it, and I offer our humble apologies to Julie!
Did this happen with my serial as well? I can't remember? I know I tend to use italics quite often. 8)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Dinah Cunningham
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series and the Famous Five
Favourite character: Everyone of the Adventure Series, George, Timmy

Post by Dinah Cunningham »

Actually I'm from Switzerland, I did never learn to use indents. I actually have more trouble reading Michael's posts here on the forum because he uses indents!

I prefer the serials as they are with "a line" between paragraph, for me it as a lot easier to read.
Bill: "I don't know what to say. You're only kids — but you're the finest company of friends anyone could have. You know the meaning of loyalty already, and even if you're scared you don't give up. I'm proud to have you for my friends."
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Daisy wrote:Phew.... I'll leave others to comment on the main points, but your last paragraph about addresses has caught my eye. I have always addressed an envelope at the slope, so to speak. That is how I was taught and I have never seen anywhere advocating that this is no longer "right". I also start some emails as I would a letter, but that depends on the kind of email it is. (Obviously I am living in the past!)
Haha! Good old Daisy, Miss Grayling would be proud of you! I must agree, though, if hand-writing an envelope, I always 'slant' the name and address. However, if typed, then I keep it aligned to the left. I have given up with full-stops for abbreviations, though (see below). I think that looks messy.

C. H. Anell, Esq.,
B.B.C. Television, Ltd.,
149, Fleet St.,
London, W.C.1

As for the main points, I agree with Keith. Spaces on web pages, indents in books.
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I never slant an address on an envelope - haven't done that since the early 1990's! ;-)

It's awkward with the indent thing. As I said further up, I'll bow to the majority - and it looks like indents are out. However, as a writer of two of the serials, I personally would prefer to see my serials with indents and no gaps between paragraphs. This is how I wrote it - and I lay out my stories in a particular way, so I find it (ever so slightly!) annoying when what I've written is altered in that way.

Saying that - I can also see the reasons its done. 8)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

If you look at the whole book, Rob, you will see that your first serial is set out in the manner that you like. As yet the whole book doesn't show on 'Narrowboat', but I will remind Keith at some stage if he doesn't read it here first.
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I've just had a look at the serials pages and pressed for a whole book. I must admit, I'd find it hide to read the whole book on line. I much prefer the no indentations and space between the paragraphs on the weekly serials. For me it's easier on the eye.

8)

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

I completely agree with you, Julie, but I guess a lot of people who wait for the whole book download it onto some device or other so that it just reads like a normal book. As I only have a computer I certainly prefer the gaps for ease of reading.
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Yes - I admit I don't like teh size of the page in the 'whole book' page layout - the pages are too wide - much wider than if reading it on a 'word' type document. It looks better if I zoom in, as this forces the paragraphs to be several lines long instead of maybe just one or two lines.

I think it very much depends on the size of the screen. I didn't realise that in the 'whole book' mode the writing would stretch from one side of the screen t the other! I guess it would look better on a tablet though. 8)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

It is called web layout as opposed to print layout - anything that Terry Gustafson sends me is always in web layout, which was a nightmare for me when he sent Journal articles that were already illustrated as I had to convert them to print layout and the illustrations went berserk!
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Post by MJE »

Rob Houghton wrote:Not yet, Julie. :D Thing is, I've sent it off so many times - well, around 12 times, and its been rejected so many times, that I don't really feel it's what publishers want! :-( I know I could try again, but I also uploaded it onto a site where people could give criticisms to your work, a few years back, and although some people loved it (as have most who I know who have read the paper copy) most people said it was way too slow.
     Would self-publication be an idea worth considering today, Rob? Even if you have to face the reality that publishers don't want that kind of work, if you still believe in it, I think it may be worth looking into. I would rather do that sooner than alter a work I believed in so that publishers were pleased but I felt it damaged the spirit of the work as I saw it.
     While it would be nice to make money out of one's writing (and even nicer if your work became another Blyton or Harry Potter in popularity), in the end I would prefer to publish my work in the form I consider best than to make money, if it comes down to a choice (as I think it probably would for many writers). It's nice to write, and feels good to create characters and situations - but I would hate to have to depend on it for a living, and for massive compromise with publishers to be not just an occasional thing, but the norm. I think I would find that very demotivating.

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Well...you did ask...!

I have some very strong views about self-publication. I did send off for details of a 'vanity publisher' in the late 1980's...and the price, as well as the fact they publish absolutely anything whatever the quality, put me off. I've also read so many times that if your writing is worth publishing, then someone will pay YOU to publish it.

As I have all of my books bound with illustrated covers in an 'A5' format (as Tony will testify as he has a hardback copy of 'Disappearing Tramp') - and many of the other novels I've written - 'The Last Summer' 'Dark Hall', 'Will and Liz' 'Sarah' and 'Jessica's Magic Yo-yo' amongst others are all in book form with my own illustrations and layout and covers, I feel no need to 'see my books in print' unless someone pays me to print them.

I have always felt that self-publishing is nothing short of 'prostituting' ones work, and I would never do it.

I have never had any qualms about doing just as a publisher suggested, if they ever accepted one of my books for publication. 8)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I understand your point of view, Rob, but I think in this day and age of 'self publishing' if your novel is good enough you should go for it. If it sells well, a publisher will contact you.

My hubby has had two books published by Halsgrove, and the third is with them still. But even he is thinking of self publishing the third himself.

I was speaking with Jon Appleton, a few months back, and even he has gone into writing now and is self publishing his own, even though he has worked for publishing houses for many years. Times change, and I guess we have to move with the times these days.

8)

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

That's a very strong view on avenue you haven't tried yet, Rob. I agree with Julie. I have been in books communities for many years to have learned few things about self-publishing.

In this modern era, there are others besides traditional publishing.

Maybe a story below will inspire some of us who yearn to be authors.

credit: https://margotkinberg.wordpress.com/201 ... ed-writer/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!