How Do We Write?

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Liam
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George

Re: How Do We Write?

Post by Liam »

Okay Zaidi,

I gave it my best shot. Hope it’s not too late. I thought I’d take a look at the “ideas side” of the post, only to realize I can’t separate ideas from language. You can’t really have an idea without language. And so to clarify the ideas, I have to clarify the language. Or maybe I believe this because I’m not very creative, and can only copyedit. But here are the rest of the paragraphs.

Hope the edits make sense. They are enclosed in square brackets [] - a slash “/” separates the original wording from the suggested, those without a slash mean a straight insertion or that I did not yet start keeping the original wording alongside the suggestion. They are all suggestions of course. Words like “revolutionise” and “revolutionary” are a bit loaded. I suggest “socially conscious/aware/responsible”, but to take KEVP’s advice even further, a word like “new”, or “novel”, would serve just as well in some cases, and not give anyone the idea you are advocating armed revolt! Phrases like “significant energy blocks” and “a new twist” seem to me informal, but if you are comfortable with them, then by all means keep them.

Don’t be put off by all the suggested edits. If you are too much of a perfectionist as I am, and want to get your ideas out perfectly the first time, you end up with “significant energy blocks” and so less creative! :)

Be like Rob, and write whatever comes into your head - you can always revise it later. :wink:
Markup wrote:On the other hand there [are] people who might be positive, [but] do not believe [enough] in themselves. They [may] have subconscious negativity and significant energy blocks that make them reluctant to bring change.

So, the blog will provide a new [angle on] how people think. They will be attracted by the incentive of growing and achieving their [own] dreams. They [will] learn [that] they [are all that is needed to] be anything [they choose to be]. [This] will give them a new perspective on themselves and their surroundings. It will make them [more] sensitive to social [and] environmental issues, and thus they would be able to perform change [effectively].

As the blog[,/delete] is used in collaboration with my peers[. I/, i]t will achieve its highest purpose as it creates a team. With multiple hands, [altogether/delete] there [will be] more ideas and more ways to achieve the one purpose. I [need/ will invite] my peers to make posters with the [quote/maxim] "I can be everything, I can do anything[,]and I will reshape many things[.]"[A]nd with that[,] they along with me, [will] need to upload pictures of us holding those posters doing [any revolutionary act/socially conscious acts] like picking up a wrapper, [giving/handing out] food, stopping a fight, [catching/uncovering] bribery. [This will all be used] with a hashtag [#?]transform yourself and revolutionise Pakistan.

[Start new paragraph] [The goal is that] this will create [a/an upwelling of] social [uproar/awareness], prompting people to look for [roots of the cause/source of the campaign?][, a/ A]s they find the Motivational Mind Blog, they will [hence/then] understand[,] and many of them [would/will] start transforming [themselves and their environment] and carrying forward the hashtag[.] [a/A]nd [hopefully] the message will bring a massive support system as all these find one platform and discuss [positivities and/positive] issues[,there/. This] will start [a great revolution/new ways of thinking] socially and environmentally. [This/It all, potentially, can] [will/delete] affect the older generations[,] and bring them together with the youth[,] and [so help to] change their perspectives.

[Pondering for some years,I/For some years now I have] wondered why Pakistan [having/still has only] a 40% [literate population had no change/literacy rate.] Why is there corruption [and bad omen/despair?] in every field[./?] I learnt [that] the physical realities could never change until the nation stood together[,] and [that] the nation can never stand [together] until there is social [revolution/change] and the mindset transform[s/ed]. I learnt [that] even water molecules transform shape [in/under] the influence of energy positive or negative[, so change is at least as natural as constancy, so there is hope for Pakistan].
KEVP

Post by KEVP »

Okay, now my attempt to rewrite Zaidi's first sentence:

"I will respond to Pakistan's mainstream destructive and negligent social behaviour issue against change and Interlinked mistreatment of the environment ( majorly throwing garbage everywhere) a common social behaviour."

My version:

"When I see my fellow Pakistanis throwing garbage everywhere, it fills me with concern. Garbage throwing, unfortunately, is commonplace. But it is also a behavior that is both destructive and negligent. And it is only one part of how Pakistan has been mistreating the environment."

Okay, by beginning the last two sentences with conjunctions ("But" and "And") I have gone a little informal. Some people think you should never begin a sentence with a conjunction. The fact is that there is no grammatical rule against beginning a sentence with a conjunction, as long as you don't overdo it.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Rob Houghton wrote:Just for fun - here are three of my 'self produced books - :-)

Eye-catching, covers, Rob! Great choices of colours and lettering.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Thank you Anita! :-D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Your self-produced books look very tempting with striking dust jackets and covers, Rob! Hope one day, one of them, if not all of them will find the publisher. Keep on trying and don't ever give up. You will never know when your luck will appear. :D
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
sixret

Post by sixret »

I also agree with KEVP's suggestion, Zainab. :D

Keep on trying, Zainab and thanks to KEVP and Liam for sharing their thoughts. :D
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
zaidi
Favourite book/series: FamousFive
Favourite character: Nick and Julian

Post by zaidi »

Thankyou so much Liam and thanks KEVP.
Heres what I made of the Essay, and the biggest mistake i made was, I didnot write my name or Title on the essay which was a requirement :((( I wonder if they consider it or not.

I would respond to Pakistan's strongly emerging resistance to change both socially(social
hypocrisy and mental illiteracy) and environmentally( negligent attitudes towards garbage
disposal).
And for that I would contribute a Motivational Mind blog that will specifically aim at three
things: to revolutionise how people think about themselves, how they think about the society
and the environment, and also how they reflect on their inner self.
It will provide complete guidance to fully discover the hidden powers of the human psyche and
the interconnected personal growth through contribution to society and environment. Despite
the fact that many websites guarantee the same, they always demand for money in the end
hence most give up .However much of the material from all kinds of talks on different mental
growth perspectives is available but scattered,and many certainly donot have the capacity to
find and search. Therefore,the blog will serve to be an international platform for those not
related to Pakistan , and also help boost locals of the value of the blog.
It would consist of a series of articles in order of underlying basic issues of daily life and then
further advancing complexities;to be unfolded.It would start from talking about to positivity to,
figuring out abundance and energy blocks(these are just abstract nouns that describe the inner
blockages mentally and physically inside us that prevent a person from personal growth and
eventually brings negative energy preventing change in the physical world).
Each article will be composed of a short background story with a message which unfolds ahead,
and it will talk about that particular message(or issue) its roots and effects. However the main
highlight will be the link to an inspirational talk from youtube mainly for that particular message
or issue. The end would be marked by a rhetorical question meant to,demand change. The blogs
comment section will be answered by me to involve the readers in an active discussion with the
writer together.
Most people often give up on bringing change or even following their dreams, because there is
that preconceived notion that nothing can change even in their own personal life, let alone with
social and environmental issues. If an individual cannot rise above the negativity in their own
life, follow their passion and stay happy for themselves, how can they believe in bringing change
to the country, and fighting against injustice and corruption? And why would they even bother
about the environment? All that people will do is blame others, but not take a step themselves.
In fact, they would further reach out to create more negativity, taking out frustrations in
multiple ways, and creating destructive social behaviour in general.
On the other hand there are people who might be positive, but do not believe enough in
themselves. They may have subconscious negativity and significant energy blocks that make
them reluctant to bring change.
So, the blog will provide a new angle on how people think. They will be attracted by the
incentive of growing and achieving their own dreams. They will learn that they are all that is
needed to be anything they choose to be. This will give them a new perspective on themselves
and their surroundings. It will make them more sensitive to social and environmental issues, and
that might push them to do little revolutionary acts.
As the blog, is used in collaboration with my peers. It would achieve its highest purpose as it
creates a team. With multiple hands,altogether there is more ideas and more ways to achieve
the one purpose.I would invite my peers to make posters with the quote
" I can be everything, I can do anything and I will reshape many things"
And with that they would individually upload pictures of theirselves holding those posters doing
socially conscious acts like picking up a wrapper, handing out food, stopping a fight or catching
bribery. All of this would go under the hashtag #transform yourself and revolutionise Pakistan .
The goal is to create a social uproar, prompting people to look for roots and cause of the
campaign.Eventually as they find, the blog it might strike them to attempt reading it and the
intrigue may lead others to follow the blog religiously.This might bring a support system of those
who want change as they find one platform to discuss ,find and solve issues.This will initiate a
new wave of thinking bringing a new revolution to perceptions. And simultaneously could also
bring older generations together with the Youth for the Big Change.
I often wondered why Pakistan having a 40% literacy rate still couldnt bring a little change. Why
is there corruption despair in every field?
I learnt that the physical realities could never change until the nation stood together,and that
the nation can never stand together until there is social revolution and the mindset transforms.I
learnt that even water molecules transform shape in the influence of energy positive or
negative,so change is at least as natural as constancy, so contribution might make a great
difference oneday!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

zaidi wrote:Heres what I made of the Essay, and the biggest mistake i made was, I didnot write my name or Title on the essay which was a requirement :((( I wonder if they consider it or not.
Did you have to fill in a form to accompany the essay, Zainab? If the judges can find your details easily on the form, your essay might still be accepted. However, the lack of title may count against you. Other entrants may have come up with snappy, quirky or thought-provoking titles which make people want to read on.

If you're able to complete a task a couple of days before the deadline, that's always helpful. It gives you more time to ensure you've checked everything and complied with all the rules.

Good luck though! :)

Society Member
zaidi

Post by zaidi »

You are very right,but somehow ive always had this thing of finishing up or starting things near deadlines, which isnt right but either i dont do it,or i do it through the deadline.
I'll try to break this habit for the next things.( Inshaallah) :D
Anita, but do you think my ideas are unique for the resource?
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Your ideas are very good, Zainab! It would be interesting to see all the different ideas that competitors came up with.

Society Member
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

zaidi wrote:You are very right,but somehow ive always had this thing of finishing up or starting things near deadlines, which isnt right but either i dont do it,or i do it through the deadline.
I'll try to break this habit for the next things.( Inshaallah) :D
We are so similar Zainab!!! :lol:
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
zaidi

Post by zaidi »

Thankyou Anita.
Oh yes Mariaa we are so similar :wink:
sixret

Post by sixret »

Now, People, Let Me Put You Wise*

I don’t usually write personal posts. This is, after all, a blog about crime fiction (and sometimes, about writing), not about me. But if the story I’m about to share helps another writer, I consider that good enough reason to tell it.

It has to do with my second Joel Williams novel, B-Very Flat. When I wrote it, I’d hoped it would be published by the same publisher who did my first novel, Publish or Perish. They didn’t accept it, which is, of course, any publisher’s right. So, I shopped B-Very Flat around.

I was thrilled (you know this feeling, don’t you, fellow authors?) when it was accepted for publication. And it was made clear to me that I would not be expected to pay to have the book made available. To be fair, I was, in fact, never charged for having my book published.

At first, I was quite happy. Sales weren’t great (they rarely are for a ‘nobody’ author), but I wasn’t upset. Then, something started to happen. I started to get emails from the publisher, with all sorts of promotional things they were doing. And I noticed something. Everything they offered came with a fee. To put it another way, I was going to have to pay (and sometimes, quite a lot!) for anything other than pure availability and placement on the publisher’s website and on Amazon.

The other things happened. For instance, I discovered that, if I wanted B-Very Flat to be formatted as an ebook for the growing Kindle/Nook market, I was going to have to pay – a lot. And, because I was under contract, I was, of course, not free to do the formatting myself. This meant I lost out on a lot of potential readers. I went to my local branch of one our large book retailers, hoping they might carry B-Very Flat, and even allow me to do a signing/reading. They told me that because my publisher would not do a buyback of unsold copies, they wouldn’t carry the book, nor let me have an event there. I contacted the publisher, and was told they don’t do that, and that if I wanted their help arranging events, I could certainly get it. For a price.

For me, this meant that, in terms of face-to-face events, I was limited to very small, catch-as-catch-can opportunities to share my book. I got no promotional help from the publisher. I will say in all fairness that I could have taken advantage of their marketing emails, but each one came with a price.

The time came, as you can imagine, when I was a bit fed up with their unwillingness to do anything to promote my work unless I paid for it. I know that authors have to go to some expense for promotion (e.g. business cards, paying for a website, cost of personal copies of a book, and so on). I don’t object to that. But this particular publisher charged for even the most basic marketing things that any publisher should be doing as a matter of course.

My contract with the publisher ended last year. Instead of contacting me regarding my options (or, to be fair, I don’t recall such contact), the company automatically renewed my contract. That meant that I would have to either buy back my rights, or stay under contract for another seven years. That would be seven more years of a company doing absolutely nothing to make my book easy to find, easy to buy, and so on. I chose not to do that. I bought my rights back.

Thanks to talented Montréal artist Lesley Fletcher, B-Very Flat got a beautiful new cover. It’s got a new life now, and is available at an affordable price in both Kindle and paper format. So in that sense, I suppose you could say my story has a happy ending.

But it’s a cautionary tale. Trust me, writers, I know what it is to get that ‘phone call from a publisher. It’s so exciting! But please, take a lesson from me. Here are some things I wish I had done when I had the chance:

Get knowledgeable if you aren’t already about pricing structures. If your publisher isn’t going to make your book available to a wide audience at an affordable price, you’re not going to sell as well as you otherwise would. Yes, I know; it’s more complicated than that. But do understand the impact of pricing on people’s willingness to buy. That goes for format, too.

Find out exactly what the publisher will do in terms of promoting your book and making it easily available in several formats. You’ll have to do some of your own promotion, and you should be prepared for that. But your publisher should make it easy for readers to find you. And you shouldn’t have to pay for that. At the very least, you should be aware of what the publisher will and won’t do without a fee.

Be willing to say ‘no, thank you’ if the publisher is not going to support your work (see above). Yes, it’s hard to turn down a contract. But remember that once you sign on the dotted line, you must abide by the terms of the contract for its duration. That can mean you lose out on a lot of potential readers.

If you do sign a contract, and you discover that the publisher isn’t supporting you, start looking around as your contract nears its end (and keep that date somewhere where you won’t let it slip by). Don’t be afraid not to renew. Yes, it’s hard to have your book discontinued. But once you have the rights, they are yours. You can shop around again, or self-publish.

Cultivate a circle of creative folks in the editing/art design/technology businesses. If you do choose to keep your rights, you’ll be very grateful for professionals who can help you make your book stand out, and can help you get the word out to readers. I don’t know what I would have done had it not been for Lesley Fletcher and the other friends I’ve made in the business.

I learned some lessons the hard way. I hope I can spare someone else that. And, hey, B-Very Flat got a great new lease on life!

Credit to: Margot Kinberg.

Link: https://margotkinberg.wordpress.com/201 ... -you-wise/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

General Natter Room

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Split from 'General Natter Room'.

Some of our forumities on here know that my hubby is an author of two railway books. Well another publisher contacted him a few months back and offered him a contract to write for them, which he accepted, for the book to be completed in January. Well today they offered him a further contract for two more after January, May and October, and said they'd like him to continue for them with further books.

It will keep him busy I know, but he's over the moon with these new contracts. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Re: General Natter Room

Post by Daisy »

Wow, that's great news Julie. Well done Stephen!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member