Proposed Society meet up at Exbury in June/July!

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Bam

Re: Proposed Society meet up at Exbury in June/July!

Post by Bam »

Yes, I think of those dates the 8th July works best for me. If I do come over in the summer with the family, my wife and I would like to see Highclere Castle, which opens for the summer on July 9th. July 1st not great, and could always pop over myself earlier (like in June) anyway.
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

Exbury gardens are quite extensive & do take some getting round, as Julie has pointed out. It's always going to be a matter of time & how we use it. Realistically, a weekend is needed to tour round the area without rushing about, but I don't think that's practical for everyone. I think it might be better meeting at Exbury gardens, then taking things from there. If time allows after visiting the gardens, then maybe we could fit in a few other locations as well. I'm happy to go along with the flow. :D July 8th is fine by me as well... 8)

Bam, there is a public bridleway near Exbury gardens that runs past Gatewood House & emerges on a lane that leads to Gatewood Bridge. I've walked it many time before. :D
Sally H

Post by Sally H »

Just wondering if the date for this Exbury day has yet been confirmed? 8 July seems to be the preferred date so far. One thing tennis fans might want to take into account is that the Wimbledon final championship is on 15/16 July.
number 6

Post by number 6 »

No definite date as yet, Sally H. However, it's only February & it may take a few more months of thinking before we all finally agree. I don't think people want to commit too early, just in case something crops up & spoils their plans. :D
deepeabee
Favourite book/series: The one I'm reading....
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville.

Post by deepeabee »

I wouldn't be able to come because I mark exams from May right up to the end of July. It's a shame because I would love to meet you all.
SwatIsaid!

Society Member
Sally H

Post by Sally H »

Any news yet on our proposed day in Exbury? Not sure who is leading on this.

Eddie - I know that 8 July is difficult for you - are you able to suggest some dates and get the ball rolling?

Sally
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I'm a not sure at the moment, so can't say now at this present moment in time.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Sally H wrote:Any news yet on our proposed day in Exbury? Not sure who is leading on this.

Eddie - I know that 8 July is difficult for you - are you able to suggest some dates and get the ball rolling?
Sally
At the moment Chick and I could do any other Saturday in July or August, Sally. We're open to suggestions.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

It's sad that Gary couldn't make the original date of 13th May, as I think the gardens would be at their best at that time of year. And I fear that sometimes when dates are changed many can't then make it.

That was the beauty of the Enid Blyton Days. Tony said a date and that was it. You either made it on that date or you didn't. And we (I can't speak for anyone else) used to book that date down, and refuse work etc, so we didn't miss the Blyton Day. :)

8)

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

My feelings entirely, Julie. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

I know I started this new thread, but I've left it to other formites to weigh up their options & confirm their own availability, then we can take it from there. As I'm fine with all dates, it seemed the fairest way forward to allow others to dictate the date.

However, it's never too late to go back to the original date in May, but this might be seen as mucking people about! As Julie stated, Gary Russell couldn't make this date, so we thought it might have been quite interesting to have him attend later in the year & guide us through Exbury Gardens & sharing his memories of his time (& the others cast members) during the filming of the F5 series. This would enhance our visit.

If the majority of people wanted to pick a date in May next year, then I've no problem with that either! As Julie said, Tony used to pick a date for the Society day & then stick with it. You either came or you didn't. I'd love everyone to express their preferences & we got a great turn out, rather than just a few of us!
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I understand the gardens are at their best in either spring or autumn which may have a bearing on when most people would like to meet. Personally, I am not so interested in the house etc. as I never saw the TV adaptations when they were aired, although I have seen them since. My main reason for a meet-up would be to meet other forumites, preferably at some eating place! July is not good for me anyway... weekends seem to have been swallowed up.
I appreciate that meeting somewhere with a Blyton connection is a bonus, but maybe we have exhausted most of these. Travelling far is always going to be a difficulty for some who may have to make an overnight stop too.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Sadly now as May was changed I won't be able to make any dates in May now. :|

8)

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Daisy wrote:I appreciate that meeting somewhere with a Blyton connection is a bonus, but maybe we have exhausted most of these. Travelling far is always going to be a difficulty for some who may have to make an overnight stop too.
That's a good, valid point Daisy. Maybe Exbury is a step too far for just a day & a total rethink is probably needed. I'm open to other ideas/suggestions.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Come to Ipswich and have a picnic in Christchurch Park - it's opposite the building where Enid did her teacher training. Only an hour from London by train. :wink:
Society Member