Proposed Society meet up at Exbury in June/July!

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Re: Proposed Society meet up at Exbury in June/July!

Post by Fiona1986 »

Sounds great, but I know I can safely count myself out of this one as I will be at least eight months pregnant by then. Hope you all have a great time!
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

Blimey! I never thought about that, Fiona! It'll be a shame that you won't be there, but I'm sure you'll have more important things to think about by July! :D
Last edited by number 6 on 25 Jan 2017, 17:45, edited 1 time in total.
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Katharine wrote:Thanks number 6, I'll bear that in mind. At the moment my social calendar is full of 'ifs, buts and maybes'. The only thing that's definite is when the summer holidays start, but whether we'll be going away as a family is still under discussion. We hope to visit our son at uni in Bath at some point, but it's hard fitting it in with his term dates, and my daughter's. Apart from the distance making a weekend visit rather impractical, we have SATS looming, so the chances are my daughter will need to spend weekends preparing for those. My other daughter's job is very uncertain at the moment, so she has no idea what time off she might be taking.

I've just checked to see how close Exbury Gardens and Bath are to each other, and it's about 2 hours, so not really practical to try and combine a visit. :cry:

I do love having a family, but sometimes think life would be so much easier if I only had myself to consider. :D
You're welcome, Katharine! Yes, I can see that you're certainly gonna have a very busy schedule! I'm lucky, as I have no family commitments, so I can usually do as I please....& I love it!! :lol:
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Lucky Star wrote: If I can come I will drive and don't mind going by Brockenhurst station to pick up anyone who needs a lift from there to Exbury.
That's very kind & considerate of you, LS! I hope you can make it. :D
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

It sounds great and we'll be there provided the date is right. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

I would love to go as well!!! :D There's a chance I might go to England this summer, so maybe I'll be able to meet all of you!!!
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

That would be so cool if you could, Maria Esther! Fingers crossed you get the chance to visit England. :D
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

I might just be going to New York in late June, if the meet up is a few days before that I MAY just be able to make it work, but can't say anything for sure till mid June!
You can call me Sunskriti!
Bam

Post by Bam »

I wonder what anyone thinks of this idea? I know that Warren Lane is private and I respect that, but I wonder, if a society meet-up does happen on a set day, would it be a good idea to try to get a one-off permit for the group to make a trip together down the lane on that day to take photos in the lane outside the house? A sort of a special, society permit for the day? I am sure that the Kirrin Cottage house holds a large appeal as a location for a lot of people here, and I for one, if the owners were willing to endure a half-hour or so of 'paparazzi' on the lane outside their house, would love that to happen. Hey, they might even invite us onto the lawn for a picnic! :)

What do you think?
Last edited by Bam on 04 Feb 2017, 15:02, edited 1 time in total.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

One could always ask, and if they say no, then nothing is lost. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Sounds good to me, Bam. However, we'd all have to meet up at Exbury with those that rely on public transport. Then those without their own car can get a lift with a fellow formite. We've got to remember that the Warren lane/St Leonard's area is not on a bus route & isn't exactly easy to reach by foot. :D
Bam

Post by Bam »

I see. The practicalities are a consideration alright. Maybe things could work out someway, we'll see if and when a date is set on, and who may be going and how. It would be a nice 'carrot' though, if it could happen somehow. :)
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I guess also thinking about it, that Exbury Gardens takes so long to go around, that the time will go so quickly and we may only have time to explore the gardens.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Bam

Post by Bam »

Yeah, that's a good point. Things do take time, and Exbury has a lot to see. Still, it was something I wanted to put out there and see what people thought.

If Warren Lane was not really realistic, given the time and trouble, what about a walk over to the house at Gatewood? Is that lane private? I see on Google Maps that it seems to be a house for the charity "The Honey Pot."
Sally H

Post by Sally H »

Just to say that I could make any of these dates but with preference for 8 July, then the 1st and finally the 24th June. Hope we can find a date to suit the majority.

Sally