Our good and new intentions for 2017!!

Anything goes! Use this forum to get to know each other.
Maria Elena
Favourite book/series: The five find outers
Favourite character: Kiki

Re: Our good and new intentions for 2017!!

Post by Maria Elena »

My new year resolutions? Well, my first one is to be “more involved" in the forums, I am rarely online!
Secondly, I have an enormous amount of books I really want to read. In my “to-read" list I have included the ones that were abandoned in a hidden shelf, gathering dust, until I rediscovered them a few days ago. Perhaps it would be interesting to see if any of you have set any reading goals. What is the first book you have started in 2017?
The point is not that I don't recognise bad people when I see them — I grant you I may quite well be taken in by them — the point is that I know a good person when I see one.
Enid Blyton, The Rubadub Mystery (Barney Mysteries, #4)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I hope you manage to find more time to spend on the forums, Maria Elena! Your "signature" about Snubby recognising a good person when he sees one is one of my favourite lines from the Barney mysteries.

My first book of 2017 is Hollow City, the second title in Ransom Riggs' "Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children" series. The story is weird and wonderful and unnerving and the pages are liberally sprinkled with curious old photographs which add to the creepy atmosphere.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
7upromana01
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George, Julian, Anne, Timmy

Post by 7upromana01 »

I tried reading Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children, Anita, but I really couldn't get into it. In fact, it is the reason why I am in a reading slump at the moment! Did you enjoy the first book?
Abi.

Still trialling other writers, but will eventually go back to reading a bit of Blyton! Just too many books...

Occasionally will pop in! xx
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:I hope you manage to find more time to spend on the forums, Maria Elena! Your "signature" about Snubby recognising a good person when he sees one is one of my favourite lines from the Barney mysteries.
The point is not that I don't recognise bad people when I see them — I grant you I may quite well be taken in by them — the point is that I know a good person when I see one.
Enid Blyton, The Rubadub Mystery (Barney Mysteries, #4)
A very powerful lines from Enid Blyton! There are spiteful people out there. People who love to pick a fight. Hope all of us will recognise them from far away so that we could avoid them when they come near us. Nice and sweet outside with blackened heart inside. :D
I stand with justice and the truth. Palestine will be free from the river to the sea.

Learn the history. Do research.

The hypocrisy, double standard, prejudice and bigotry own by some people is so obvious.Shame on them!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

7upromana01 wrote:I tried reading Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children, Anita, but I really couldn't get into it. In fact, it is the reason why I am in a reading slump at the moment! Did you enjoy the first book?
I did enjoy it, Abi. The reader is introduced to the main situation very gradually so lots of things seem extremely mystifying at first, but they slowly become clearer and I enjoyed the bizarreness and unexpectedness of it all.

I hope you find something else that holds your interest. You could always try Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children again at some point. Sometimes a book seems better at a second attempt, for some reason!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member